Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Channel Frederator Released a Video On G1 Vs. G4

Denim&Venöm

So channel frederator released a video within their then vs. now series. this time, it was MLPs turn. 

So how do you think they handled it? Were the comparisons fair? Did the omit too much? How was their take on each generations respective fans? 

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to copy and past my responds to the you tube video:

Basing Original 80's My Little Pony world building off the cartoon is a bit of a mistake. Considering the aspect of UK comics in the 80's that were not sold in the USA, there was more going on with MLP back in the 80's than what FIM centered fans imagine. You also are not considering the backcard story each individual My Little Pony was sold with, Each toy pony had it's own individual story, it's own sticker it's own unique brush/comb and ribbon. There was a lot of work put into the individual toys and a lot more world 'building' than your video suggests. And lets face it, If you were into MLP back in the 80's you'd get what I was talking about, however people coming into it through FIM don't really appreciate 80's MLP because they're narrow view of the brand through the cartoon. And it's probably best to not to sort of belittle the brand simply because the 80's cartoon was created to 'sell toys'. I'd suggest not forgetting that the toyline was invented so that children could have they're own little pony, and in that children would develope and create they're own ideas about they're ponies. The Hasbro 'men' at the time poopooed on Bonnies Idea, told her girls only wanted to cook and iron. So using the term 'toy' and seeming to belittle what 'we' had in the 80's fails the see the impact it had on some of us 'girls' back in the 80's. Ponies actually taught a lot of us to be independent and we didn't have to be "BARBIE" to be awesome. The video seems to play up the idea that G4 is better because of it's world building. I would agree in part, however since I grew up in the 80's my ponies were nothing like what I watched on the cartoon. I got into MLP in 1983, I didn't have a cartoon to base my ponies off when I started. The cartoon was an accessory to the toys and I developed my own ideas of the ponies personalities regardless of what hasbro and the writers came up with on a cartoon. So in some way the 80's ideas seem far more appealing to me instead of being a zombie to whatever Hasbro or the cartoon writers decide for the ponies. I'd also like to point out Paradise Estate was not released till around 1985-1986. So as far as the ponies living in Paradise Estate that didn't happen till A full 2-3 years after MLP toy line started. My Little Pony houses that existed before Paradise Estate are as followed: Show Stable, Pretty Parlor, Waterfall and Dream Castle. My first MLP house was the Show Stable, which I had a long while before I ever saw a paradise Estate. In fact I owned the stable before I ever saw a My Little Pony cartoon. I think when doing video's like this, I think it's sometimes a good idea to actually talk to the 'adult' fans who existed before FIM adult fans. These kind of videos generally come across as not very knowlegable of the original brand or at the very least don't have any input in perspective of those who loved the brand back in the 80's and tend to be fixated in Generation 4.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn