Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

Title: Forgotten Friendship

Synopsis: Sunset Shimmer is shocked to discover that she's been erased from her friends' memories and must search for the magic and the perpetrator who did such a dreadful deed.

Airs: Today at 12 P.M. on Discovery Family

• Brohoof 6

23 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

So, wait. How the heck did the memory stone (or a fragment of it) get in the Pedestrian World?

According to the images on Clover's scroll, Sorceress... Whatever... seemed to find a random portal.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

This was something that I was really looking forward to.  I heard great things about the book adaptation that came before this was released, which I made sure not to spoil myself because I was looking forward to seeing it on screen.  I have been enjoying the EQG Youtube series, however I have been wanting some more substantial stories from the franchise, and a 44 minute special was just what I felt was needed.

My favorite parts (outside of all the Princess Twilight/Sunset Shimmer shipping fuel moments that I am quite thankful for) were:

Spoiler

Sunset and Celestia's heartwarming reconciliation, Princess Twilight geeking out over the restricted section of Canterlot's library, Trixie's talk with Sunset (surprisingly decent character development for her), Both songs, (and I kinda like the fact that Sunset was pragmatic enough to try to steal the memory stone from Wallflower when the latter singing her Invisible song, it didn't work, but I appreciate the effort), Sunset willing to sacrifice her memories of her friends to protect them, the magical girl transformation sequence, Pinkie Pie interrupting the usual "magic of friendship speech", and Wallflower was basically a better version of Juniper Montage.  

There were some great funny bits that made me chuckle throughout, and the story I felt was pretty engaging.  I have to say this is one of my favorite and one of the better installments in the Equestria Girls series.  I am looking forward to seeing what the next special will be like.

• Brohoof 7

Just now, cmarston1 said:

and Wallflower was basically a better version of Juniper Montage.

Wallflower's redemption was less rushed, and her personality was better-shown as redeemable.

The only real complaint I have is that...

...Clover The Clever turned out to be male instead of female.

R.I.P., crapton of headcanons...

• This topic was featured and pinned

Thread has been pinned and featured...and I missed the special.

Yay. D:

• Brohoof 3

These specials never fail to amaze me. Once again, this was a great special.

Spoiler

One of my favorite moments were the scene when Sunset Shimmer and Princess Celestia saw each other again. We have waited so long for that moment and it was brilliant. Also, Celestia has a good sense of humor just like the rest of us.

My other favorite was when Princess Twilight went crazy after entering the restricted area. That's why we love her because when it comes to books, she'll talk about them all day.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 3

Missed my first commercial break :D. I knew I was going to get out of bed pretty late (that's what I get for playing Majora's Mask 3D up to 3am :dash: ). Well, it was rather short, but it's one of the strongest animated releases EG had to offer. Despite the time, I didn't feel anything was rushed. Wallflower is cute :wub: , but well... pretty relatable. Guess being ignored by even the nastiest of bullies took a toll on the girl :adorkable:

8 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Hide contents

...Clover The Clever turned out to be male instead of female.

R.I.P., crapton of headcanons...

Not as much as headcanon, COMMANDER HURRICANE WAS CLEARLY THE ONLY DUDE AMONG THE FOUNDERS IN AN OFFICIAL BOOK O_O. I don't mind headcanon deaths, but when official releases screw over each other it's kinda baffling :dash: . Then again, Meadowbrook was an eastern unicorn back in S5 and Flash Magnus was Flash Prance in S6 :dash: 

8 minutes ago, ChB said:

I love it! Best EQG episode in the whole series, IMO!

Great plot and amazing character development! 

I would say it's my favorite of the "new" Equestria Girls series, my favorite movie is still the original Equestria Girls movie.

I was worried they wouldn't be able to cover everything from the book but they proved me wrong big time! :D

I think this may be my "Equestria Girls 4" from now on.

• Brohoof 4

I just hope it is officially put on YouTube someday today. Which I might be able to  watch after work. Until I see it for myself, just don't directly talk to me about it.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, IrishBrony716 said:

Wall Flower

In the chat for the stream I was at (hey, that rhymes), some people kept calling her "Waifuwer" or something.

And speaking of waifus, who else imagined Sethisto having the ultimate nosebleed when Trixie was at the beach?

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I'll certainly remember the beach scenes. The girls in the swimsuits I believe pushed the boundaries a little, but not TOO much to raise red flags. A little fanservice in EG won't hurt. 

It was really heartwarming to see Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer reunite.

I have VERY mixed feelings on Wallflower. I found myself asking the same question as Sunset, "What did SHE do to deserve this?" To which Wallflower gives the excuse of not noticing her, not being nice to her, yet everyone, literally everyone treats her like this! Why does Sunset get singled out for something that was never her fault? Wallflower says something about "never believing Sunset changed" just because she is still not being acknowledged after "turning nice" so in her mind Sunset didn't really "turn nice." Yet again, everyone doesn't acknowledge her, so are they all just not nice people?

See Wallflower could have worked better in a similar vain to Moondancer. Have her see the school is changing and try to change with it. Show her try to interact with other students, but because she is the quiet, wallflower have them ignore her; not maliciously of course but she won't know that due to her personality and life. So then you have Sunset, a student who also changed but is actually getting attention. Now she has more of a reason to resent Sunset, and only Sunset. If they were trying to make Sunset "the last straw" she should have been shown reacting more to all their praises of her earlier.

However, with all my complaints I have to say I still like Wallflower as a character, just in the fact at how human she was. She never once felt like a "big-baddie" she always felt like a normal girl that stumbled upon something she didn't understand. It's why the motivation while extremely flawed, never felt "forced to be evil" because she never felt evil. I love sympathetic antagonists a lot more when they have more humanity to them, and Wallflower embodies that style nicely.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, even as someone who really dislikes EQG, this is easily the best EQG special/film. The stakes are high and treated as such. Sunset reconciling with Celly (while rather bland) provided needed closure to part of Sunset's arc. There was some good comedy. The scene where Sunset was basically reverted back to when she just left Canterlot for the Pedestrian World was heartbreaking. Even though Sunset was forcibly reformed and lost most of her old personality, bits of it returned (i.e., calling Trixie a blowhard and threatening Wallflower in the lab — the latter probably the best moment of the special).

As for the issues:

1. Wallflower's motives. So she wants to be noticed, but decides to steal their memories to not just become more noticeable, but to make Sunset feel her pain. Her apology at the end (when she was so angry and bitter) felt rushed.
  2. How did Clever ever get the stone to be transported to the Pedestrian World long ago? Feels like the EQG world was inadvertently Star Swirl's and Clever's dumping ground.
  3. How Twilight found Clever's secret piece of the scroll was contrived. That convenient compartment that conveniently cracked open when it conveniently landed on the right spot.
  4. And, of course, the EQG worldbuilding remains a mess.

I'll have to rewatch it, but as a whole, it's at least decent.

• Brohoof 4

28 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

However, with all my complaints I have to say I still like Wallflower as a character, just in the fact at how human she was. She never once felt like a "big-baddie" she always felt like a normal girl that stumbled upon something she didn't understand. It's why the motivation while extremely flawed, never felt "forced to be evil" because she never felt evil. I love sympathetic antagonists a lot more when they have more humanity to them, and Wallflower embodies that style nicely.

Uniquely enough, no "raging she-demon" form for her. (Wasn't even necessary, so props to the writers.)

Especially since the last one we got -- in Mirror Magic -- was beyond pathetic and pointless. (Juniper was actually more threatening as herself; at least she was actually using that mirror.)

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Equestria Girls: Forgotten Friendship/Equestria Girls Youtube Series Spoilers:

Spoiler

Do you think this could be Wallflower's sister?

Just a theory considering how quiet they both are.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, ggg-2 said:

Um, didn't Twilight already know about the library's restricted area in It's About Time, way back in season 2?

That one seemed less restricted -- i.e., wasn't sealed in a top-secret vault.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 4

Finally getting to watch it, only half-way through, but I had to jump in to say that Twilight has been amazing so far.

Okay, finished! That was just as good as I thought it would be, maybe even better when I rewatch it. Some thoughts:

Sunset was back in form here, pretty much cementing for me that she really is best within these types of stories. She’s a hero character, not a Slice-of-life character, so these kinds of stories are where she’s going to truly shine. Seeing her reunite with Celestia has been a long time coming, and their interactions were very sweet. Even in spite of their shared screen time, she and Twilight didn’t really have any meaningful interactions, which is somewhat disappointing.

The rest of the “main cast” were reduced to cheerleaders/batteries/damsels once again, but at this point it’s a tradition for the series. Why change it now, I guess? At least they added a little humor at the beginning, but after that they really didn’t appear much, and they did almost nothing until the end. Pretty disappointing, I have to wonder if their roles were part of the cut 6mins that’ll be part of the YouTube version.

I'm pretty conflicted on Trixie’s role for a couple reasons, but I want to rewatch a few times before I make any judgements there.

And finally, we have Wallflower Blush. She continues the line of lonely villains for the franchise, following in the footsteps of Luna and Starlight, though I don’t think she comes close to either of them. Honestly, when you go around erasing all of your interactions with others, do you really have any right to get angry when people have no idea who you are? Still, she had a cute design and VA, and while she’s not topping any villain lists, I don’t think there was anything awful about her. Better than Juniper, at least.

Overall, a solid 8.5 out of 10, it had the usual shortcomings of an EQG story, but it’s strengths definitely puts it near the top of the series for me. Look forward to rewatching it later today.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 4

I just wanted to point out for those unaware that this is not the full version of this special, it's a cut-down for TV version that's apparently missing about 6 minutes worth of content, the true full version will be uploaded to Hasbro's channel later in parts.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

I just wanted to point out for those unaware that this is not the full version of this special, it's a cut-down for TV version that's apparently missing about 6 minutes worth of content, the true full version will be uploaded to Hasbro's channel later in parts.

Calling right now, it's going to be six whole minutes of that "Trixie-Sunset door gag." :derp:

(Seriously that went on for a little too long:baconmane:)

• Brohoof 4