Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

On 2/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, AlbaTross said:

Overall, I think this special is great.  I like its themes, and I was invested in the story throughout.  Having a significant portion take place back in Equestria with Sunset reconciling with Celestia blew my mind even more than that time she met Starlight.  I actually hadn't considered that the reason why Wallflower was forgotten is because she meddled with people's memories of her, but after considering that I find that interesting too.  Oh, and clearly the greatest ponies in Equestrian history aren't as bright when it comes to deciding how to dispose of magic artifacts or deal with threats.  Using the human world as Equestria's dumping ground is a terrible idea yet it has happened more than once.  Overall, great special.

I don't think we can really hold it against Clover leaving the stone in what at the time probably was a very empty place.  CHS is located in a surburban setting, go back two or three hundred years and most suburbs and the cities they are now attached to weren't there.  It was most likely an empty forrest save for a few native Americans. 

On 2/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I'm sort of with you, but Wallflower is actually my least favourite part of this, and I liked this way more than that awful "Mirror Magic" one. I like many ideas and scenes here, but the pacing and half of the jokes bring it down for me. And Wallflower, what even was her train of thought here? 

I guess this one just felt like the most shallow out of all of eqg and mlp. And there is some pretty shallow moments in both. Mostly in the "look how great we are at being friends" without ever actually making any meanigul attempt to address friendship or even bullying in the case of this episode.

I know this is a kids show and I shouldn't expect much, but it's really starting to grind on me.

1 hour ago, Tilgoreth said:

I guess this one just felt like the most shallow out of all of eqg and mlp. And there is some pretty shallow moments in both. Mostly in the "look how great we are at being friends" without ever actually making any meanigul attempt to address friendship or even bullying in the case of this episode.

I know this is a kids show and I shouldn't expect much, but it's really starting to grind on me.

I feel like the show has had shallower stuff, but I certainly agree that Equestria Girls is getting kinda redundant. I want to know what's next for Sunset, not have her friendships reaffirmed for like the fourth time in a row. 

2 hours ago, Skytower said:

I don't think we can really hold it against Clover leaving the stone in what at the time probably was a very empty place.  CHS is located in a surburban setting, go back two or three hundred years and most suburbs and the cities they are now attached to weren't there.  It was most likely an empty forrest save for a few native Americans. 

I think you'll need to go further back than merely 300 years. Clover lived at least a millennium ago. Technology for humanity back then was extremely primitive.

On 2/20/2018 at 3:23 PM, Tilgoreth said:

And it kind of felt overly mean that Wallflower didn't get to finish her song.

Sunset was absolutely justified to sneak and steal that stone. Wallflower used it to erase her friends' good memories of her. Every impression they knew of her was a terrible one. Thanks to WB, it's as if post-reformed Sunset didn't exist.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Seriously the only issue I had with the special was how Wallflower completely singled out Sunset. I tried really hard to understand her point of view because I’ve been there in her shoes. I’ve had to up and move schools in the middle of high school so I didn’t ever really fit in anywhere for a long time or have friends.

but still, she takes all her issues out on one person who literally walked through hell and back to earn everyone’s love and respect. Sunset Shimmer worked to get where she was with everyone in the school. For Wallflower to completely take all her frustrations out on one person is ridiculous. Sunset wasn’t the only one forgetting she existed. She was this close to completely ruining someone else’s life when in reality it wasn’t just on Sunset Shimmer alone. 

Wallflower is someone who I would have seriously blasted into oblivion never to be seen again. I cannot stand someone who singles out another person who has made an effort to get to where they are. I think the real issue is that she herself didn’t have it in her to fight for what she wanted socially so instead she took it out on someone who had that strength.

that entire scene in the yearbook lab made me want to wring her neck. The second she started to get into it with Sunset really irked me.

Was it just my imagination, but I thought it looked like Trixie actually remembers Sunset Shimmer when Wallflower Blash erased a memory of Sunset Shimmer from the Main 6. The reason I ask this is because Trixie took offense because Sunset offered Wallflower something that was originally denied to Trixie. The whole movie was weird like that, does it actually the whole school forgot her redemption, or is it just Main 6

9 hours ago, iceestarz said:

Seriously the only issue I had with the special was how Wallflower completely singled out Sunset. I tried really hard to understand her point of view because I’ve been there in her shoes. I’ve had to up and move schools in the middle of high school so I didn’t ever really fit in anywhere for a long time or have friends.

but still, she takes all her issues out on one person who literally walked through hell and back to earn everyone’s love and respect. Sunset Shimmer worked to get where she was with everyone in the school. For Wallflower to completely take all her frustrations out on one person is ridiculous. Sunset wasn’t the only one forgetting she existed. She was this close to completely ruining someone else’s life when in reality it wasn’t just on Sunset Shimmer alone. 

Wallflower is someone who I would have seriously blasted into oblivion never to be seen again. I cannot stand someone who singles out another person who has made an effort to get to where they are. I think the real issue is that she herself didn’t have it in her to fight for what she wanted socially so instead she took it out on someone who had that strength.

that entire scene in the yearbook lab made me want to wring her neck. The second she started to get into it with Sunset really irked me.

Sunset represented someone Walflower could've never become anymore; she fought her own demons and was beloved by everyone in the school, while Walflower thought she could never be like her because for the fear of screwing up and removing everyone's memory of her because of that, like she did many times before. 

6 hours ago, Rebellious Rainbow said:

Was it just my imagination, but I thought it looked like Trixie actually remembers Sunset Shimmer when Wallflower Blash erased a memory of Sunset Shimmer from the Main 6. The reason I ask this is because Trixie took offense because Sunset offered Wallflower something that was originally denied to Trixie. The whole movie was weird like that, does it actually the whole school forgot her redemption, or is it just Main 6

I'm sure it was the entire school, since everyone else was avoiding her for fear. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:50 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

I think you'll need to go further back than merely 300 years. Clover lived at least a millennium ago. Technology for humanity back then was extremely primitive.

Yea, but we don't really know about how the portal matches up temporally with the CHS world.  It was noted that the Dazzlings were sent through the portal ages ago, but they were still teenagers when Rainbow Rocks occurred.  

12 hours ago, iceestarz said:

It's easier to hate one person than an entire school.  The more you can focus, the easier it is for negative feelings to grown.  If Twilight had been at CHS instead of Sunset then I think Twilight would have been the target.  I think anyone who was popular would have been the focus of Wallflower's anger.

I don't think we've focused on it yet, but I think it's pretty good that Wallflower was able to decipher Clover the Clever's writings on the stone.  I can't imagine why'd he'd leave instructions with the thing, thats really a bad move on his(?) part. 

• The topic was unfeatured
On 2/24/2018 at 10:50 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Sunset was absolutely justified to sneak and steal that stone. Wallflower used it to erase her friends' good memories of her. Every impression they knew of her was a terrible one. Thanks to WB, it's as if post-reformed Sunset didn't exist.

That still felt mean. Self awarness doesn't make you clever, it just means your not dumb(since that why the writers did that, to go "look at how self aware and clever we are)

On 2/24/2018 at 10:33 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I feel like the show has had shallower stuff, but I certainly agree that Equestria Girls is getting kinda redundant. I want to know what's next for Sunset, not have her friendships reaffirmed for like the fourth time in a row. 

Exactly. But this is also just a problem with kids shows in general. They tend to be very vague about when things happen i  relation to one another.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:22 PM, iceestarz said:

I don't agree eith ttlhat at all.  I honestly thought susnet was overly mean.

1 hour ago, Tilgoreth said:

To Wallflower? I think that’s the point to some extent, but even if I could sympathize with her, I think Wallflower crossed enough of a line to have brought that upon herself.

5 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

To Wallflower? I think that’s the point to some extent, but even if I could sympathize with her, I think Wallflower crossed enough of a line to have brought that upon herself.

She didn't bring anything on herself. The mane seven just feel like bullies putting people down. 

15 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

She didn't bring anything on herself. The mane seven just feel like bullies putting people down. 

She erased their memories. That seems just as bad if not worse. 

Even everyone ignoring her was because she erased memories. 

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

She erased their memories. That seems just as bad if not worse. 

Even everyone ignoring her was because she erased memories. 

That's not even made clear if that's actuallly the case. And even if it was it doesn't explain why they wouldn't remmber her from elemntary school.

3 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

That's not even made clear if that's actuallly the case. And even if it was it doesn't explain why they wouldn't remmber her from elemntary school.

Well, if she erased herself from everyones memory, of course no one would remember her. I just get scared about the parents. They don't remember her either, if this is the case. :dash:

11 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

Well, I suppose this was part of the point, but dismissing Wallflower like that felt so unlike Sunset & co. that I wondered if she just didn't make any effort to connect with people. And even if that's not the case, it that hardly justifies the memory thing, after which everything Sunset did was overly aggressive but understandable. 

12 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Well, I suppose this was part of the point, but dismissing Wallflower like that felt so unlike Sunset & co. that I wondered if she just didn't make any effort to connect with people. And even if that's not the case, it that hardly justifies the memory thing, after which everything Sunset did was overly aggressive but understandable. 

Well okay. I just thought there was a more meaningful way they could have written the episode.

4 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

Well okay. I just thought there was a more meaningful way they could have written the episode.

Well, that I agree with. 

• 3 weeks later...

The part where Sunset's friends all hate her again because their memories of her have been erased so she is forced to go to Equestria and make up with Princess Celestia so she could get the help she needed to find why her friends memories have been erased is the best thing about Forgotten Friendship I really enjoy  

On 3/9/2018 at 8:36 PM, Tilgoreth said:

I think that was the point. She still had part of that mean streak in her. That is why Trixie told her that she should try to be kind to Wallflower, instead of combative.

One thing I didn't understand is when Wallflower erased Sunset's memories of highschool, why did she forget about coming through the portal or betraying Celestia? It doesn't made sense that those memories would be lost as well.

(edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 11:08 PM, Twilight Luna said:

One thing I didn't understand is when Wallflower erased Sunset's memories of highschool, why did she forget about coming through the portal or betraying Celestia? It doesn't made sense that those memories would be lost as well.

You said it yourself Wallflower erased solely the "high-school" memories not all her memories over the past years. In other words Sunset in this wiped state remembers betraying Celestia, and then immediately (or at least after some unspecified amount of time in a mental but not physical limbo) reconciling with her, but obviously not remembering why she reconciled and then finds herself in a strange location away from her. I'd say this is why she was confused.

Edited by KH7672

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 11:08 PM, Twilight Luna said:

I think that was the point. She still had part of that mean streak in her. That is why Trixie told her that she should try to be kind to Wallflower, instead of combative.

Sunset just lost several years of memory and she didn't have the time for her head to put it together. So she's confused and scared waking up from blacking out. 

Edited by Singe

I've noticed  they improved the running animation in this special. You can notice it when Pinks go after Rarity's towel at the first part, and Sunny chasing Wallflower just before the climax. Guess they've finally paid attention to the feedback we gave about them :dash: