Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

1 minute ago, KH7672 said:

Calling right now, it's going to be six whole minutes of that "Trixie-Sunset door gag." :derp:

(Seriously that went on for a little too long:baconmane:)

They could expand on it, bring in new characters. Watch as Trixie and Sunset somehow accidentally trade places with Derpy, a pair of Pinkie Pie's, Tirek, Crackle, Tempest Shadow, G3 ponies, etc. Just 6 minutes of the biggest selection of random cameos ever. The fans will love it, 10/10.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, A.V. said:

In the chat for the stream I was at (hey, that rhymes), some people kept calling her "Waifuwer" or something.

And speaking of waifus, who else imagined Sethisto having the ultimate nosebleed when Trixie was at the beach?

Well, Trix's always been hot. Hot girl, in swimsuit = win :bedeyes: 

1 hour ago, BrawnyCharger said:

I'll certainly remember the beach scenes. The girls in the swimsuits I believe pushed the boundaries a little, but not TOO much to raise red flags. A little fanservice in EG won't hurt. 

It was really heartwarming to see Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer reunite.

Specially since the hottest girls wore the (comparatively) sexiest swimwear :bedeyes: 

Finally got to see it and...how will not be revealed.d :mellow:

In any case I really have to say that Forgotten Friendship was the first time when I was TOTALLY invested from start to finish when it comes to EqG. That's nothing against Rainbow Rocks or Friendship Games, but I really felt invested in the conflict, in Sunset Shimmer's role, and...really; in just the whole thing.

I was especially happy with Trixie's part. :D

Overall; best thing to come from EqG by FAR! <3

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

My favorite part of Forgotten Friendship was:

Hide contents

Twilight Sparkle freaking out in the Forbidden Archives. :D

"The, the, the restricted section? :pinkie: "

That reaction reminded me of Harry Potter and the 3rd floor restricted section scene.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, BasementSparkle said:

I just wanted to point out for those unaware that this is not the full version of this special, it's a cut-down for TV version that's apparently missing about 6 minutes worth of content, the true full version will be uploaded to Hasbro's channel later in parts.

That was before it aired. After it aired, he tweeted this:

• Brohoof 3

Now that I've watched the special for myself, I am happy to say that I enjoyed it for what it presented. Though, I will admit that I did read portions of the book some weeks back so I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I didn't care as seeing it animated is different as opposed to just reading about it. The most important scene in the entire special turned out exactly the same as the book but was way more enjoyable given the emotional expressions--and in Twilight's case, her freak-out moments--in addition to Celestia playing her little pranks.

At long last, Sunset's past has finally been resolved despite taking over four years for us for finally get to this important moment. I also liked how we got some insight on Clover the Clever considering all we ever knew about him was being Starswirl's apprentice and one of the founders of Equestria. Seeing Sunset in Canterlot in addition to her being nervous over meeting Celestia again was simply icing on an already impressive cake. Sure, this reconciliation didn't happen in the show but I'll take what I can get so long as it happened. Also, something I always believed in became canon to Equestria Girls; that being Sunset being recognized as Twilight's student. Luna's presence didn't really amount to much but I'm not complaining as she and Sunset got to interact if only briefly--that parking lot joke was wonderful especially when it was referenced at the end.

Such a tender moment between Sunset and Celestia will forever be etched into my memory. Okay, I didn't cry or anything as I'm not that kind of person, but again, it was worth the wait despite it needing to have been done a long time ago. Twilight... She tried to help with the situation only to make things worse at times coupled with those exaggerations of hers. Her best ones was that smile after Sunset and Celestia hugged, freaking out over there being more books than even she thought, and wanting to update the entire hidden section of the library. It makes you wonder if Celestia has other secrets she's been hiding--of course she does as this has been her method since the very beginning of the show.

The beach scene... I know many wanted more out of this but I see it as a fanservice moment that wasn't the main point of this special. It was all about how much Sunset has changed since we were first introduced to her and that anyone can become better if given the proper incentive to do so. It was nice seeing all those references to the previous movies--surprised that last year's specials didn't get a similar treatment--but on the subject of the beach scene, expect more fanart in the coming days revolving around this. Again, I see it as fanservice and nothing more despite how it contributed to what was going on.

Wallflower Blush... I can sympathize with her on account that when I was at school growing up, I went through the same issues where people ignored my presence, I was always lonely, and I only had myself for company. Granted, I never got the chance to improve on this but it's something I chose to do so I don't have any real regrets about it. As a villain... she didn't transform so already that's a plus. Second, I wasn't expecting her to sing though it was sadly cut short on account of Sunset. The story did a good job hiding her true intentions and leading us to believe that Trixie was behind everything, but I'll admit that her reformation came up too quickly. Once more, that time constraint is going to be an issue. Overall, I like how she was handled though I was surprised to find that Shannon Chan Kent voiced her, yet it was also ironic. She was the last of the three principal singers to voice a villainous character in Equestria Girls--Rebecca Shoichet was first followed by Kasumi Evans a year later. If there was one thing about Wallflower that got me seething, was when she erased all of Sunset's memories on account that her plans had fallen apart. She came off as a real jerk--I used an explicative instead when I was watching--in addition to shattering what appeared to be her innocence throughout the special. It's a minor issue at best.

Speaking of which, Trixie came across as a jerk at times on account of how she wanted to have her specific mentioning in the yearbook be recognized. The story does well in making her out as the main villain though it does contradict "Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine", the first original Equestria Girls chapter book, but does harken back to Rainbow Rocks, but at the same time, we get to see a side of her that hasn't been explored much in this world. Despite the bravado, she can be the nicest person you'll ever meet with loyalty that could rival Rainbow Dash herself, and uses such an act to hide her insecurities. I had always respected Trixie yet what she does in this special--particularly towards the end--has given me a whole new level of that very respect.

Was this special perfect? I wouldn't say so as there were obvious issues. For one thing, the reformation was too fast for its own good but again you can blame time constraints. The ending also comes up really quickly and I think it should have been extended a little. Some of the jokes weren't as funny as they could have been whilst some characters felt like they didn't get to do much of anything. Overall, this special is perhaps the best at what we've seen from Equestria Girls and compared to what has come before it, it was a pretty difficult hurdle that it had to get over.

Oh yeah! There's one thing I forgot. When Sunset lost all of her memories, she called out Celestia by name. This was symbolic of the fact that despite betraying her at the time, she needed her help to understand what had happened to her. It contradicts "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer" in that when she first entered the human world, she mused over the fact that things had gotten more interesting. Then again, Equestria Girls has had little presence in the IDW comics not to mention the whole canonicity angle so perhaps this incident in the special is now the official explanation.

I give this special 96%. Why not a perfect? I already mentioned a couple of things but I'm sure there were others that I missed along the way. That means re-watching is in order.

• Brohoof 6

57 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

That was before it aired. After it aired, he tweeted this:

Although, the recording of the special that I saw was still 44 minutes long without commercials. I think we're still gonna see an extended 50 min version of the special. 

I guess he thought that the special was completely aired was because all of the scenes that he remembered were there. If that's the case, I guess we're gonna see extended version of some scenes which probably includes the ending (since that one I felt like it was incomplete).

Just now, squee333 said:

So I guess nothing new with regards to Timber x Twilight and Flash x Sunset, then?

Flash barely even featured; pretty much only had a cameo towards the end. As for Timber; he wan't in this. Honestly, that one short with he and Twilight is really the most substantial thing between them since Legend of Everfree.

This was okay. I hated the first ten minutes, and after that I still found a fair handful of jokes kinda painful, but there's also a lot of really nice moments in this. I loved how Trixie decided to help, and I found her to be the most interesting character in all of this, and as always, Sunset is easier for me to like when you give her an inherently sympathetic problem. She's still kinda hollow, I feel, but that sort of comes with the kind of story this is. The story is a bit more rushed than I would like, and I didn't like the villain at all, but on the other hand: Sunset's reunion with Celestia! Twilight being a nerd! Some actual emotional stakes! I feel justified in asking for a bit more than this, but at least this was mostly tolerable.

4 hours ago, BasementSparkle said:

Ah, didn't see that. Thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, hotshotguy said:

Although, the recording of the special that I saw was still 44 minutes long without commercials. I think we're still gonna see an extended 50 min version of the special. 

I guess he thought that the special was completely aired was because all of the scenes that he remembered were there. If that's the case, I guess we're gonna see extended version of some scenes which probably includes the ending (since that one I felt like it was incomplete).

Yeah, it turns out there is more. Guess the editors did a good job.

• Brohoof 3

I'm glad that Sunset Shimmer and Princess Celestia made admends, maybe her next visit to Equestria, Sunset might meet her friends counterparts, if Twilight can I don't see why she can't. Also maybe she'll met her family and old friends, like if Sunset's feeling homesick and pays a visit. Just a thought.

I legit don't think I could do this special justice. Because this is one I had such high expectations and hopes for, especially after reading the book (I'm still feeling proud I called it being from an animated project BTW). And yet, somehow, it actually managed to be everything I hoped it would be, if not even more so.

For one, the story is just great on all fronts. It's really difficult not to feel bad for Sunset, given what is established at the beginning and the sound design and vocal inflections do a fantastic job carrying them through. The pacing is also really good, constantly being on the move but never to the point where it feels rushed.

There's a ton of meat to the plot, too. The scene of Sunset in Equestria was something I was so hoping we'd get more of after Mirror Magic, with her reunion with Princess Celestia being the icing on the cake. Wallflower makes for a rather interesting and sympathetic antagonist. Even Trixie gets a surprisingly deep and likable role, and keep in mind she hasn't had a Starlight like the pony one did (on a side note, we need a short that's just Trix, Star, and Sun bonding - they have the perfect opportunity for that now).

The background music gave it their absolute all, as did the animators. There's all sorts of little touches with the visuals that we didn't get in earlier EqG installments, like the various beach outfits and Sunset kicking her slippers off.

There's all these little things that I really love, too. The song in the beginning is basically a spiritual successor to "My Past is Not Today", the stuff at the beach is a little fanservice-y but still fun, the 'parking lot' line to Luna, and the sacrifice at the end was dang heartbreaking. Also, my favorite Celestia moment in the entire series - "Did you say I wasn't your best teacher?"

I am not even exaggerating when I say this is dang near perfect, and one of my top 5 MLP stories period. There are a couple nitpicks, but everything else is so amazing I don't even care enough to criticize. It's easily my favorite EqG installment ever, and it will probably remain my favorite because - enjoyable as future installments may be - this is the kind of fantastic that simply can't be easily topped.

• Brohoof 4

I thought this special was fantastic. I can't wait to rewatch this again once the full version releases.

• One of my favorite parts was just the fun dynamic between Trixie and Sunset
  • The reunion between Sunset and Celestia was well worth the wait.
  • I loved Twilight's freak out over the books.
  • Celestia messing with Sunset was hilarious.
  • Wallflower was incredibly relatable and sympathetic.
  • Brohoof 1

This seemed implied to me, and I think it should have been explored more fully. Wallflower Blush using the memory stone to erase small things like awkward greetings and the like, most likely caused her 'invisibility" problem. It felt like she got carried away a while ago, and not just when she specifically erased memories of Sunset.  It would explain nobody even remembering her name.

• Brohoof 6

8 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

This seemed implied to me, and I think it should have been explored more fully. Wallflower Blush using the memory stone to erase small things like awkward greetings and the like, most likely caused her 'invisibility" problem. It felt like she got carried away a while ago, and not just when she specifically erased memories of Sunset.  It would explain nobody even remembering her name.

That was my thinking as well. In the end her feeling of invisibility is partially due to her own doing with the stone. Her attempt to fix the problem only made it worse for her in the end. 

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

Flash barely even featured; pretty much only had a cameo towards the end. As for Timber; he wan't in this. Honestly, that one short with he and Twilight is really the most substantial thing between them since Legend of Everfree.

With Flash, it was one of those 'blink and you miss it moments' regarding his cameo.

• Brohoof 2

That was so amazing. :D I have to say this is my favorite of all the EqG films and specials so far, even beating Mirror Magic. I still prefer FIM in general, but EqG at its best is quite brilliant too.

There were so many things I liked about the special that I can't really list them all, so I'll just mention a few highlights. There were some really emotional moments, my favorite being Sunset meeting Celestia again (though the ending came pretty close). Sunset as a pony is always great. Twilight being adorkable, Trixie playing a big role in saving the day (and thankfully not being the villain, which would have been really predictable)... The songs were pretty good and I always like it when they make a joke about the characters singing out of nowhere.

As for things I didn't like, I don't have many to list  I agree the door gag was a bit too long and repetitive, but that's really a minor complaint. The worse thing is that having enjoyed this so much will just make the wait for season 8 worse than it already was! :P

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3