Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forgotten Friendship

PinkiePie97

4 minutes ago, We_R_VeNoM said:

Also liked the scene were Sunset took a bullet for the Mane 6 as her memories of them were being wiped clean, and after that, Sunset becomes confused and scared. Those were the feels moments right there. :o

She was like a cornered scared little animal. Makes sense with her being a mini horse

Definitely my favorite thing to come out the EqG franchise.

I like how Sunset reacted on the beach and immediately started to look for answers, I also liked a lot how her forward personality turns to be aggressive when no one is by her side, better late than never a believable explanation to Rainbow Rocks' diametric personality shift.

The villain was obvious and relatable.

Celestia's magnanimity is amazing and with Luna's seriousness at her side and Twilight's adorkable antics, Sunset's return was not what I expected, it was better! (I expected more drama and less comedy).

I'm highly biased towards Trixie nowadays, so everything with her on screen I enjoy like the fanboy I am.

I hope the rest of the humane 5 get better development in the franchise too, the shorts are kind of good for them but if they keep getting shoved at the side in the movies/episodes they'll start to feel less and less important.

Edited by DonMaguz

I'm only halfway through. But I like to point out my favorite moments so far.

Spoiler

Pony Twilight's Fangirl Freakouts in the Hidden Canterlot Library 

Sunset and Princess Celestia reconciling.

An possible Sunset/Trixie Team-up? Intriguing.

On a non-spoiler note, I love how expressive the animation as gotten over the years with this little Equestria Girls spin-off.

Now, then I should go finish the rest of it.

15 hours ago, Hierok said:

But does it matter? The songs from this special were fantastic. :pinkie:

In a way it does. It shows that the writers are poking fun at the fact that the characters are so used to certain clichés that they acknowledge them as such. Wallflower's song supposedly has a full version but there's no telling when it will be released.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Ganondorf8 said:

In a way it does. It shows that the writers are poking fun at the fact that the characters are so used to certain clichés that they acknowledge them as such. Wallflower's song supposedly has a full version but there's no telling when it will be released.

You mean something like this?

7 hours ago, PhantomInfinite said:

It's confusing enough to consider what the ages of the ponies are in the show, and Equestria Girls is on another level entirely, so I'll just take this at face value. 

22 hours ago, Hierok said:

But does it matter? The songs from this special were fantastic. :pinkie:

I keep forgetting this thing even had songs. 

Watching this as someone who was teetering on becoming a "faltering Equestria Girls fan", I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of this special. It felt like a nice shake-up to a formula that's been feeling stale (at least to me), showing us how the characters now would react to the Sunset from back then and even incorporating more of the show's world into the EQG world. They even doubled down with making fun of some of the cliches, like Sunset not letting the villain finish her song before taking action and Pinkie Pie stopping Twilight in the middle of her all-important "magic of friendship" speech. Heck, even the pacing was good. The feeling that nothing was being rushed or crammed down to meet a time limit was very refreshing and I must commend the staff for not trying to push this to be an hour long. If I had to think of one complaint, Trixie's gloating did begin to get on my nerves after a little while, but I still want to see where things will go with her and Sunset being friends now. :)

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

well, with EG's bigger emphasis on music it was rather unexpected, despite that FiM had self referenced and poked fun on the cliche for a while now :dash:  

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

well, with EG's bigger emphasis on music it was rather unexpected, despite that FiM had self referenced and poked fun on the cliche for a while now :dash:  

I guess that Equestria Girls was a little late to that particular party.

8 hours ago, Hierok said:

You mean something like this?

Not bad for a fan made extension but I was thinking of an official full version from Hasbro.

• Brohoof 1

I guess Ill give it a C- the plot was kind of average, the antagonist was meh, Sunset meets Princess Celestia moment was ruined. Oh my gosh Twilight there is a a restricted section,and I am ashamed you didn't know about it. Oh hi Colgate, Twilight ignoring you again, it must be a memory stones fault. Every time they sing a song I thought it was extremely forced, and thank goodness they acknowledge the songs.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It's confusing enough to consider what the ages of the ponies are in the show, and Equestria Girls is on another level entirely, so I'll just take this at face value. 

I keep forgetting this thing even had songs. 

What do you mean by face value?

So, round three follow-up. Even more enjoyable the next two times, I’m bumping my score from 8.5 to a 9, for one very important reason: Nick Confalone fixes Sunset Shimmer. I sure there’s some fans who would disagree with me, but hear me out. Everyone’s heard the criticisms, that she’s “brainwashed” by the EoH and becomes another person overnight. Well... they’re true, there’s no possible way to deny that. It’s always been a minor gripe for me though, because they were trying to cram an entire reformation and redemption story, something that is still a multi-season ongoing arc for characters like Starlight or Discord, into one movie so that she could take over Twilight’s role moving forward. I don’t really like it, but I get why they did it that way, so I overlook it for the most part. But there’s no excuse to continue that way in Friendship Games, Legends of Everfree, or Magical Movie Night (the three 20mn specials). That was the time to start bringing back her old self, to have her work on her old character flaws that were skipped over for the sake of RR, but they weren’t. Instead of character flaws, she was given a series of character struggles to overcome each movie. New movie, new struggle to be overcome and then never seen again. Good enough for the purpose of each movie, but it left her more and more bland as time went on, culminating in her awful performance in MMN. Seriously, go back and watch her in Dance Magic and Movie Magic. It’s painfully obvious the writers don’t know what to do with her when she’s not being a hero, every other character has their ‘thing’ they do while someone else is being the center of attention, but being the center of attention is all Sunset has had up until this point, and it shows.

So, how does Nick Confalone fix her? Well, for starters, he brings back her old personality. We see her ego and ambition in her speech on how the student body trusted her to be yearbook editor. Also nice to see she learned to focus on something other than the threat of magic, he calls back the struggles from FG and Mirror Magic by showing her moving on to accept different responsibilities and passions. We got pieces of this during the recent shorts, but nothing long enough or meaty enough to be substantial measurements of growth. We see her anger and temper brought back, but in meaningful ways. Until now, her temper has only been used in short bursts as a plot device, and it never felt like much of a flaw when she’s always right to be angry. It’s hard to look down on her temper when she’s justified each and every time, but in Forgotten Friendship? She yells at Microchips because hes scared of her, she gets really aggressive with Trixie, she even threatens Wallflower with violence. She’s never done anything like that, until now her temper has always been a quick burst of anger that she immediately feels guilty over. Here, it’s pervasive throughout the special, and it only gets stronger as it goes on. Nick took the old Sunset from EQG1, and wrote Sunset in FF around her, instead of basing her off the character replacement we got in RR, and she’s a hundred times better for it.

In a nice twist, we see Sunset attempt a physical resolution against Wallflower at first. Before this we’ve always seen her go the Twilight clone route, where she gives a friendship speech to try and talk the villain down, usually without success. It was nice to see her do something not only different, but also more like herself, instead of Twilight.

We even have Nick try and retroactively make Sunset less perfect. I know some people aren’t happy with how the special tries to make it sound like Sunset was responsible for Wallflower, but I kinda like it. It highlights Sunset’s passive nature, that while she’s not actively being mean, neither is she going out her way to show kindness to others. It reminds me of my biggest gripe with Sunset’s role in RR, her passive attitude towards her fellow students. She very clearly feels bad, and she definitely wants others to know that she’s changed, but she never does anything about it. She sits on the sidelines and never tries to make any practical attempt at amends or an apology. It makes her struggle feel shallow, and her big moment of redemption unearned. If we saw her try and make small efforts to help others, something as simple as helping someone clean up a mess they dropped or offer to help someone with their homework, something more meaningful than offering to color with the CMC’s, and to have them constantly reject her, it makes the final moment of her redemption more powerful, and the result of hard work instead of dumb luck. Nick takes her passive nature and turns it into a more serious character lesson, and I wonder if that was on purpose.

(As an aside, I’ve never like Sunset’s offer to help the CMC’s paint, obviously. But with what we’ve learned about Sunset’s artistic skills, it gives this scene a bit more relevance. It isn’t a simple, shallow attempt, it’s Sunset trying to offer to help with something she’s good at, and it means more for that help to be rejected. This makes what I initially viewed as a superficial gesture more meaningful, even if it does so retroactively. This only occurred to me as I was writing this. I don’t know if this makes her redemption feel more ‘earned’ to me, she still only made one attempt, but at least the attempt was serious. I’ll have to give it some more thought.)

Bottomline, this is the Sunset Shimmer we should have gotten after RR, and I hope it’s what we’re going to get from now on.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 3

If you mean her asking forgiveness at the end of the second movie, well, I've always seen that as her "dark side" taking over after she got the crown, making her saying and doing things she would've never tried (I mean, taking over Equestria with an army of zombie students? Yeah, that was too far even for her). 

But I agree with the way the movie and specials have treated her, which is why I tend to prefer Starlight Glimmer the most; while Sunset have been reduced to just the hero, Starlight still shows that she has her own issues to deal with, which leads her to screw up often, similarly to Twilight in the early seasons. 

(admittedly though, I love Sunset's voice the most <3)

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

FIM has been making fun of it since the 2nd episode, when Pinkie starts to sing Giggle At The Ghosty

Twilight: ''Tell me she's not..''

Rarity: ''She is''

One thing that I really liked to mention after watching it is that I believe that Sunset and Starlight are like the same character, but in different worlds. Both are the seventh addition to the group after being reformed, that's first. Secondly, I've been wondering if Starlight would be friends with Trixie in the human world since they wouldn't have had anything to bond over like they did in Equestria. Now, in this movie, Sunset Shimmer is the one that bonds with Trixie over something they have in common, very similar to how Starlight and Trixie became friends in Equestria. In other words, Sunset just got the exact same friendship that Starlight did in the pony universe.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, nor do I think that it's of any value but I still wanted to say it since it caught a majority of my attention. :icwudt: 

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, StrawCherry said:

One thing that I really liked to mention after watching it is that I believe that Sunset and Starlight are like the same character, but in different worlds. Both are the seventh addition to the group after being reformed, that's first. Secondly, I've been wondering if Starlight would be friends with Trixie in the human world since they wouldn't have had anything to bond over like they did in Equestria. Now, in this movie, Sunset Shimmer is the one that bonds with Trixie over something they have in common, very similar to how Starlight and Trixie became friends in Equestria. In other words, Sunset just got the exact same friendship that Starlight did in the pony universe.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, nor do I think that it's of any value but I still wanted to say it since it caught a majority of my attention. :icwudt: 

Except that Sunny feels more like the leader of the group, while Starlight is more disconnected. Another big difference are their flaws, with Starlight being insecure and impulsive, while Sunny still retains her temper, to the point of threatening with physical violence 

I'm surprised, really. I normally hate mind wipe plots. I hate how cheaply they generate conflict, so I really wasn't expecting too much...but I really liked this special. I love that there were so many lampshades about the songs and the friendship speeches, I liked seeing Trixie being developed more as a character in the human world, and best of all, more interaction between Sunset and Princess Twilight, as well as seeing the reunion of Princess Celestia with Sunset. All in all, this is probably one of my favorite EQG episodes, perhaps even my favorite altogether.

On 2/17/2018 at 6:31 AM, PinkiePie97 said:

Title: Forgotten Friendship

Synopsis: Sunset Shimmer is shocked to discover that she's been erased from her friends' memories and must search for the magic and the perpetrator who did such a dreadful deed.

Airs: Today at 12 P.M. on Discovery Family

Wow I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like this episode. Like honestly I thought this was the worst eqg special so far. Wallflower was the onoy good thing. And even she wasn't really great.

2 minutes ago, KatonRyu said:

I'm surprised, really. I normally hate mind wipe plots. I hate how cheaply they generate conflict, so I really wasn't expecting too much...but I really liked this special. I love that there were so many lampshades about the songs and the friendship speeches, I liked seeing Trixie being developed more as a character in the human world, and best of all, more interaction between Sunset and Princess Twilight, as well as seeing the reunion of Princess Celestia with Sunset. All in all, this is probably one of my favorite EQG episodes, perhaps even my favorite altogether.

Tbh personally I hated the self awarness for the songs. It's okay at first but now it's just like "look how smart we are guys". And it kind of felt overly mean that Wallflower didn't get to finish her song. Even if it was silly she started singing in the first place. Honestly this episode reminds me of everything I hate in Disney channel teeange shows and none of the remotoy good qualties normal mlp has. And I fundmentally dissagree with the shoe horned in moral.

• Brohoof 1

Ok, I finally saw it. It was pretty amazing, much better then previous specials. 

Thanks to this I now appreciate Sunset in a whole new light. She going back being "mean" told us more about her then most post-Rainbow Rocks stuff ever did; being isolated is most probably what caused being worse, which explains why Celestia insisted for Twilight making friends; she feared she would have become like her. Oh, and Celestia reuniting with Sunset was just as heartwarming as I imagined x3. 

Speaking of Twilight... DEAR GOD, TWILIGHT! Seeing her being her squeaky geek-self again after such long time was epic. I missed her being like that.

About Wallflower, she's basically like a Fluttershy gone mad with power. I'd like to point out though that she's the most teenage character I saw in EqG, since she suffers in a way typical of a girl her age. 

Finally, about the humane 6, I've found the scenes where we see interacting with eachothers pretty good: we don't see them doing anything we don't expect them to do, but is nice seeing them dealing with irl problems using irl world words. Special mention goes to Pinkie; seeing her using some tough girl attitude instead of just her usual baby talking was surprising. Also, never expected to find a drone cute x3. I give it a 4.5\5.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

Wow I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like this episode. Like honestly I thought this was the worst eqg special so far. Wallflower was the onoy good thing. And even she wasn't really great.

I'm sort of with you, but Wallflower is actually my least favourite part of this, and I liked this way more than that awful "Mirror Magic" one. I like many ideas and scenes here, but the pacing and half of the jokes bring it down for me. And Wallflower, what even was her train of thought here? 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

I really enjoyed this special, and the plot, songs and villain were good, I like Wallflower a little more than I like Juniper Montage. Seeing Equestria and pony Sunset was fantastic and I loved seeing Sunset and Princess Celestia forgive each other and reconnect. I also enjoyed seeing Trixie and Sunset's interaction and hope they will continue to be friends in the future, 9/10 special!

• Brohoof 1