Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Thoughts on Nuzlockes?

ggg-2

For Pokémon players, what are your thoughts on the Nuzlocke challenge idea? I for one can't stand the idea. Why don't people play the games as intended instead of doing these overdone challenges that, from my standpoint, just make the game more annoying rather than harder.

I personally don't do Nuzlocke challenges because I think the way that they make the game harder makes it end up being aggravating rather than rewarding. One Pokemon per route? If a Pokemon faints you can't use it? Those two alone are ridiculous enough for me to not like the idea.

• Brohoof 1

I've only recently learnt what a Nuzlocke is and all I know is that you're not allowed to use revives and if your Pokemon faints, you can no longer use that Pokemon and it effectively counts as a 'death'. I personally have never done a Nuzlocke, but I do have one golden rule whenever I play Pokemon: NEVER EVER let your Pokemon faint. Not even once. Even if it means levelling my Pokemon up excessively and becoming OP as F :muffins: Ever since I lost my Torterra to Cyrus after spending 40 minutes with the commander fight back in my starter-only run that I did in my Diamond version, I've ALWAYS went by this rule. Although, I have NEVER done a Nuzlocke before, it shouldn't be no different to what I'm doing :huh:

TfkSaJy.png

Correct me if I'm wrong and I dunno if this a rule in a Nuzlocke, but I do remember hearing something that whenever you enter a new route, you literally have to catch the first Pokemon in that route...

Also, DO NOT TRY to do a Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon Nuzlocke UNLESS you know what you're doing, 'cuz there's a Pokemon in that game that'll literally destroy your team if you're not careful :confused:

Edited by SolarFlare13

I've never done a nuzlocke run and I'm not even considering doing one since it sounds too stressful for a game that's supposed to be fun. Especially for me who's the worst at training pokemon properly so even on casual playthroughs my mons keep fainting a lot. And I mean a lot.

Though I do see why people would like to do nuzlocke runs as they're a great way to bring some extra thrill into the game, but personally I like to keep things casual and more relaxed.

I have a tendency, when playing Pokemon games, to not progress in the game until I’ve caught all the Pokemon (and got all the items) available at whatever point I am in the game, and try to level them all up to be the same level. This makes it take a long time for me to beat the games, so doing a Nuzlocke run makes it easier for me to actually get through the game since I can’t waste my time catching and leveling up every Pokemon. Of course, Nuzlocke runs are easy if you just go with the over-levelled starter strategy - I got through Emerald only using my Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert in battles (with Zigzagoon/Linoone and later Skarmory for double battles), without getting any XP from wild battles (I just ran from all of them), since my starter became over-levelled by being the only one used in trainer battles (and I made sure I battled every trainer, and avoided double battles whenever it was possible to take on one of the two trainers at a time).

I don't do it simply because I don't have any Pokemon games anymore, otherwise I'd probably be all over it. I love the idea of perma-death in video games, makes you feel a lot more on edge when you barely get out of a situation.

12 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

For Pokémon players, what are your thoughts on the Nuzlocke challenge idea? I for one can't stand the idea. Why don't people play the games as intended instead of doing these overdone challenges that, from my standpoint, just make the game more annoying rather than harder.

Because people like challenging themselves? Are you against people finding other ways of getting fun out their games? 

Nah. I play games to relax. Putting any unnecessary stress into them is a big no for me. However, I agree with Celli, here. People choosing to play this challenge doesn't harm you in any way, so why do you care what they do? Neither you nor I want to play the game that way, and we don't have to. That's the end of it.

• Brohoof 1