Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Saddest Episode Aside From The Perfect Pear...?

Harratot33

It has to be Tanks for the Memories for me. The episode is all about a character's goal which was doomed to fail from the very beginning - all up until that point I had been lead to believe Rainbow Dash was fearless and tough as nails and seeing her break down and cry for so long was really sad for me. This wasn't even humorous crying like with Shining Armour in "Slice of Life", this was very, very realistic and I feel it would be even worse for those who have lost a pet or something similar. And her goodbye at the end, I can't even... :( Seriously, I'm surprised this isn't talked about more.

• Brohoof 6

Just now, Harratot33 said:

It has to be Tanks for the Memories for me. The episode is all about a character's goal which was doomed to fail from the very beginning - all up until that point I had been lead to believe Rainbow Dash was fearless and tough as nails and seeing her break down and cry for so long was really sad for me. This wasn't even humorous crying like with Shining Armour in "Slice of Life", this was very, very realistic and I feel it would be even worse for those who have lost a pet or something similar. And her goodbye at the end, I can't even... :( Seriously, I'm surprised this isn't talked about more.

It is the saddest overall episode, but I think Diamond Tiara's song in Crusaders of the lost mark where it is shown it is her abusive mother causing her behavioral problems, and she wishes she could have loving, caring parents like the other fillies she can see, is heartbreaking...

• Brohoof 6

Though they ended on happy notes, Flight to the Finish, Parental Glideance, Amending Fences, and Princess Twilight Sparkle had moments which were emotional gut punches. The shot with Twilight over a (assumed) fallen Celestia was heartbreaking. 

Just now, CypherHoof said:

It is the saddest overall episode, but I think Diamond Tiara's song in Crusaders of the lost mark where it is shown it is her abusive mother causing her behavioral problems, and she wishes she could have loving, caring parents like the other fillies she can see, is heartbreaking...

Aye, that moment too! 

• Brohoof 6

Hurricane Fluttershy makes me all teary-eyed. As does Magical Mystery Cure when it gets to the part with I've Got to Find a Way. And Crusaders of the Lost Mark when we learn about how Spoiled Rich has raised her daughter. And then there's the bit in Amending Fences when Moondancer lashes out at her party. I always get teary-eyed when Twilight becomes corrupted in part 2 of The Return of Harmony. And, of course, Tanks for the Memories has some of the most raw emotion in the entire series when we see Rainbow Dash go through the five stages of grief--especially when she flat-out breaks down and starts bawling.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

That moment really changed almost everybody's opinion on her. 

The thing with sad moments is that they make an episode or character, or even the whole show. The best cartoons can hit that emotional point. :fluttershy: Such as Kung fu panda, Avatar, Kim Possible, etc.

Probably Parental Glideance due to the fact that it kinda gives us an idea on how Scootaloo's parents are like, along with strong implications of child neglect

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

Hurricane Fluttershy makes me all teary-eyed. As does Magical Mystery Cure when it gets to the part with I've Got to Find a Way. And Crusaders of the Lost Mark when we learn about how Spoiled Rich has raised her daughter. And then there's the bit in Amending Fences when Moondancer lashes out at her party. I always get teary-eyed when Twilight becomes corrupted in part 2 of The Return of Harmony. And, of course, Tanks for the Memories has some of the most raw emotion in the entire series when we see Rainbow Dash go through the five stages of grief--especially when she flat-out breaks down and starts bawling.

All true. Spikes song is also a very sad, but moving scene. The part where Fluttershy teared up in Hurricane Fluttershy is in my opinion the saddest point in the show. 

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Whompy Whomperson said:

Probably Parental Glideance due to the fact that it kinda gives us an idea on how Scootaloo's parents are like, along with strong implications of child neglect

I think we are going to get to see more of Scoot's home life (or lack of it) later in the show; as I understand it, she is a "latch key filly" - her parents are working hard, and aren't there for her as much as they would like to be.

10 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Though they ended on happy notes, Flight to the Finish, Parental Glideance, Amending Fences, and Princess Twilight Sparkle had moments which were emotional gut punches. The shot with Twilight over a (assumed) fallen Celestia was heartbreaking. 

Aye, that moment too! 

Pretty much all of those mentioned; plus Crusaders and Tanks for the Memories really hit my emotional buttons. Always kinda hard to watch those without tearing up each time.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Hierok said:

All true. The part where Fluttershy teared up in Hurricane Fluttershy is in my opinion the saddest point in the show. 

Well, ANY point where Flutters is upset or in tears is disturbing; she is after all the sweet sensitive one....

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Well, ANY point where Flutters is upset or in tears is disturbing; she is after all the sweet sensitive one....

That's right. :fluttershy: Fluttershy crying in Filli Vanilli was also a sad moment. And when she got convidence it was beautiful. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Hierok said:

That's right. :fluttershy: Fluttershy crying in Filli Vanilli was also a sad moment. And when she got convidence it was beautiful. :pinkie:

It always is. Flutters lacks self confidence; while her modesty is very much a saving grace (I mean, look what happened in Putting Your Hoof Down when she let a bit of praise over her assertiveness go to her head) that is in the context that she has a core of steel, and is definitely not a pony to cross, even given the OPness of the Mane 6 in general.

However, she is also easily hurt and emotionally sensitive, and much of that must stem from her being bullied during her filly years (and some of it will have been the cause of it of course; bullies like to abuse those who react) and it makes your heart sink when you see her sad.

• Brohoof 1

It always is. Flutters lacks self confidence; while her modesty is very much a saving grace (I mean, look what happened in Putting Your Hoof Down when she let a bit of praise over her assertiveness go to her head) that is in the context that she has a core of steel, and is definitely not a pony to cross, even given the OPness of the Mane 6 in general.

However, she is also easily hurt and emotionally sensitive, and much of that must stem from her being bullied during her filly years (and some of it will have been the cause of it of course; bullies like to abuse those who react) and it makes your heart sink when you see her sad.

Well, she came a long way. We get to see more and more of the real Fluttershy under the disguise she puts on because of being bullied as a filly. :twi:

In earlier seasons, I tend to find the show's most emotionally effective episodes uplifting rather than sad. "Hurricane Fluttershy" is a great example, as it's probably the earliest episode which can actually make me cry, but not necessarily because it's sad. Season 4's "Equestria Games" is relatively downbeat; I have to second "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" and "Parental Glideance," which both end happily but have some gut-wrenching background information; I still find emotional resonance in Starlight's backstory from "The Cutie Re-Mark," though not for the reasons you might think; "A Hearth's Warming Tail" is probably the most powerful episode of the series for me, for mostly the same reasons as "The Cutie Re-Mark," though Spike's plight in "The Times They Are a Changeling" gives it a run for its money. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Hierok said:

Well, she came a long way. We get to see more and more of the real Fluttershy under the disguise she puts on because of being bullied as a filly. :twi:

I think (Fame and Misfortune aside) she gets a lot more understanding of her strength from the other ponies now - I love early S1 episodes Dragonshy and Stare Master for this, even if only the Mane 6 and the CMC learned to respect her in those :)

7 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Thorax's story and happenings in his debut episode, "Times They Are a Changeling"

It's a good episode, especially for Spike (and Thorax of course) but I didn't find it sad - in fact, I was impressed by the bravery of both Thorax and Spike in pursuing a friendship in spite of literally *everypony* else being opposed.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure about "sad", emotional and tear jerking would be a more fitting description. I'm really behind at watching the show but I recently saw The Perfect Pear for the first time, and yes, I cried like a small child. And Crusaders of The Lost Mark had me sobbing tears of joy. Diamond Tiara rocks... she chose to be a better pony with grace and pride. Her redemption came not through her defeat, but through her own strength and courage. I was so proud. <3

I think (Fame and Misfortune aside) she gets a lot more understanding of her strength from the other ponies now - I love early S1 episodes Dragonshy and Stare Master for this, even if only the Mane 6 and the CMC learned to respect her in those :)

That were great episodes, although I think the way to the top was a bit over the top. :Dtumblr_m6bsoimx3E1r8k5p5o1_500.gif

Edited by Hierok

12 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

"A Hearth's Warming Tail" is probably the most powerful episode of the series for me, for mostly the same reasons as "The Cutie Re-Mark," though Spike's plight in "The Times They Are a Changeling" gives it a run for its money. 

I think HWT is a powerful episode; although we know that it is just Twi fitting the characters we know to the characters in the story, watching GlimGlam (with her old manestyle, I note) plead with Luna is heart wrenching. Would put it below Diamond Tiara's song though.

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

It's a good episode, especially for Spike (and Thorax of course) but I didn't find it sad - in fact, I was impressed by the bravery of both Thorax and Spike in pursuing a friendship in spite of literally *everypony* else being opposed.

Well, Spikes song was really moving. 

Just now, Porrot said:

I'm not sure about "sad", emotional and tear jerking would be a more fitting description. I'm really behind at watching the show but I recently saw The Perfect Pear for the first time, and yes, I cried like a small child. And Crusaders of The Lost Mark had me sobbing tears of joy. Diamond Tiara rocks... she chose to be a better pony with grace and pride. Her redemption came not through her defeat, but through her own strength and courage. I was so proud. <3

Diamond Tiara DOES have two songs, both of which are tear-inducing, but only the first is a sad one - the second, her redemption song, is inspiring rather than sad.

Just now, Hierok said:

Well, Spikes song was really moving. 

Yes, it is, but it is showing Spike's strength, so I don't find it sad - he is standing by his friend of only a few days, and defying everyone whose opinion matters to him (just look at how he reacts in The Crystal Empire pt 2 at the vision of Twilight sending him away) - as shiny says, it's liquid pride :)

23 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think HWT is a powerful episode; although we know that it is just Twi fitting the characters we know to the characters in the story, watching GlimGlam (with her old manestyle, I note) plead with Luna is heart wrenching. Would put it below Diamond Tiara's song though.

I like the pacing in "Hearth's Warming Tale" more. Snowfall Frost has a clearer backstory than Starlight Glimmer, but circumstances caused both to have a warped perspective of what's right for Equestria, and both can only be shaken from it by the overwhelming realization that their efforts would have the exact opposite effect of what they intended. Both are also implied to have carried a sort of self-inflicted loneliness; she became older and more jaded so fast that she lost of the moment and of all the small things in life. Perhaps we all do, sometimes. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I like the pacing in "Hearth's Warming Tale" more. Snowfall Frost has a clearer backstory than Starlight Glimmer, but circumstances caused both to have a warped perspective of what's right for Equestria, and both can only be shaken from it by the overwhelming realization that their efforts would have the exact opposite effect of what they intended. Both are also implied to have carried a sort of self-inflicted loneliness; she became older and more jaded so fast that she lost of the moment and of all the small things in life. Perhaps we all do, sometimes. 

I think HWT lost a lot of it's impact for me for being so obviously based on the Dickens novel, for which I have seen so many different versions of (including one Ghostbusters cartoon where they catch the ghosts) - I liked Luna's song and role, but the episode as a whole didn't have perhaps the impact it would have done if I had been watching without that context.

I think HWT lost a lot of it's impact for me for being so obviously based on the Dickens novel, for which I have seen so many different versions of (including one Ghostbusters cartoon where they catch the ghosts) - I liked Luna's song and role, but the episode as a whole didn't have perhaps the impact it would have done if I had been watching without that context.

I confess to having not seen as many interpretations; I felt this one differentiated itself by completely jettisoning Jacob Marley and the whole money angle, and replacing it with Snowfall's whole thing about magically stopping Christmas. 

15 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I confess to having not seen as many interpretations; I felt this one differentiated itself by completely jettisoning Jacob Marley and the whole money angle, and replacing it with Snowfall's whole thing about magically stopping Christmas. 

And that's fine - each of us identify differently with the characters, so what affects one of us is not wrong or right, it just IS.

Similarly, @WiiGuy2014 and @Hierok for the Changeling episode.