Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Maud Couple  

130 users have voted

1. 1. Like or dislike?

• Boulder: "Maud's boyfriend stinks." (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Maud: "This episode's the most basic of jokes." (I dislike it.)
    • Pinkie: "Eh. I've seen better!" (…meh…)
    • Gummy: "Maud's boyfriend rocks." (I like it!)
    • Pinkie *to Gilda*: "Great! ^__^" (I LOVE IT! <3)

Personally thought it was great. Pinkie Pie is so unlikable throughout it, but that's part of what makes it so fun to watch. I was just going, "Wow...this was me in my initial reaction to Maud Pie being introduced and not understanding why people liked her.", and it was great to see Pinkie on the receiving end of the lesson of the episode Maud Pie. ^_^ I also feel the writing team was predicting the way certain people would react to Mudbriar, with one side of people hating him out of their blinded worship of Maud and another side of people defending him by pointing out the hypocrisy in ignoring that what they hate in Mudbriar, they like in Maud. Even if I hadn't been a fan of the new character, I would've enjoyed the episode regardless because it's hilarious discounting the absence of the rest of the Mane 6, save in Pinkie's psychotic episode. I loved her imagining Twilight saying, "I never learned how to read!". :lol:

• Brohoof 3

I don't know, I am extremely neutral to this episode right now. At first Pinkie Pie was a bit annoying because I can see how she can be annoying to other people but then she forced herself to liking him which I don't know if she genuinely hates him why torture yourself to trying to force yourself at liking him thats just weird. It feels like the whole lesson should have been different as well like Pinkie you are a jerk to people or something, or Pinkie learn to read other people better. Eh, I've seen better is a good way to describe it

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 4

Technically, this episode is not perfect. :maud:

But Mudbriar is great (personally, I like the Sheldon Cooper vibes) and I think they actually did a solid job with Pinkie here. Best performance in a while. Maud was... well... Maud, but the writers did a great job of reminding us how great she is under the surface. And speaking of "under the surface," the surprise return of Limestone and Marble Pie w/ the geode was heartwarming; the whole moral was a reminder that even Pinkie Pie isn't perfect, and I love to see characters in situations that force them to step back and actually acknowledge that they aren't some Mary Sue who can just fix anything with the help of their innate Element of Harmony. This kind of appearance was overdue for Pinkie Pie. Yeah, there were flashes of it in Pinkie Pride, Party Pooped, Party of One, etc. but I guess this one was the most blunt about it. I'm just glad to see a Pinkie who is more than just comic relief. I liked the humor... with the exception of Maud's comedy routine at the beginning which was a little too dry even for her. It was nice to see more Starlight.

There wasn't anything super amazing that made this episode one for the ages, but I certainly enjoyed it. :) Think I'll give it an 8/10.

Spoiler

Also... have we seen that equals sign in Starlight's room before? I don't remember it, but it certainly did make me chuckle.

5abff6c98cd2a_ScreenShot2018-03-31at2_26_15PM.png.d43cbfc4b2d9636b958e2ec53ea32724.png

Disregard this if it has been spotted many times before. ;)

• Brohoof 8

People have asked about characters who might be autistic, but if you'd have to guess, I believe this guy might take the cake.

(Pinkie: CAKE?)

Pretty fun episode, and I liked seeing Limestone and Marble again. (I'm not jealous!)

• Brohoof 4

Well, Maud’s stand-up made me laugh. Apart from this and the reference to Sherlock there isn’t really much to talk about.

I still adhere to the opinion that Maud is the last of Pie sisters who needed a relationship. Limestone or Marble, on the other hand, could really benefit from a significant other who could balance their temper, but I guess we’re stuck with Mr. Twig now.

I’m not even going to ask why Pinkie didn’t do the first thing she usually does – try to become a friend with a new pony no matter how this pony reacts. Her “crack open” line was interesting though.

• Brohoof 2

This one was a pretty decent episode though it did have problems with a big one not even being its fault, that being it followed the season premiere which is a difficult predicament for any episode that follows a premiere. After so many were hoping to see Limestone and Marble return, they both made an appearance though I felt they got shoehorned in at the end so that Pinkie could talk to someone in response to what happened. Now if only Marble could say a few words apart from her usual 'mhm' but I suppose it's something she can work on in the future. I was surprised that Limestone provided some sage advice given her attitude and all but I guess even someone that negative can prove enlightening.

Mudbriar... I can already foresee the hatred coming his way given his personality, and I have to agree with the sentiment as there was something about him that really irked me. I get what they were trying to go with but I find that the execution didn't go quite the way they intended. Plus, suddenly introducing him as Maud's love interest didn't do him or her any favours either and should have been developed slowly throughout the episode like what happened with Big Macintosh and Sugar Belle. Mudbriar was easy to spot as the boyfriend as why bother giving him a unique design otherwise. I will admit that his thing with sticks was cute and goes nicely with Maud's thing with rocks.

As far as sight gags go, Pinkie never disappointed, and the animators had lots of fun creating them judging from how... well... creative they were. However, Pinkie's behaviour can be put into question as she should've just accepted that Maud found herself someone who could appreciate her in a way that was beyond what Pinkie has been able to do. All she did was make her own life miserable not to mention embarrassing at times, but I can't fault her entirely as Mudbriar would make anyone lash out like she did. At least she learned something in the end even if it took the entire episode, yet the ending itself just suddenly ended without much effort. Did they just want to end things like that without adding a little more oomph? That's how I see it but take my thoughts with a grain of salt as opinions vary.

Starlight was used well and acted as a middleman in trying to ensure things would work out. I loved seeing the kites reference from the last Maud Pie episode make a comeback--consistency does matter--and we also see how she manages to keep it from flying away--Boulder has way more utilities than I thought. And before I finish this up, I must bring attention to the new title sequence. While I do appreciate them using new images that replace what had been used for just over seven years, I think a new version of the actual song was in order. By keeping the same song and changing only the visuals, it comes off as merely being a slight upgrade.

I'll give this episode a 70%.

• Brohoof 1

In the middle of a rewatch to gather my thoughts, just wanted to point this out.

In the scene where Pinkie runs off crying, Mud Briar says “See you later,” which is interesting given his earlier conversation with Pinkie in the baking supply store. It means he wants to see her again later, which is pretty sweet.

• Brohoof 15

11 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

In the middle of a rewatch to gather my thoughts, just wanted to point this out.

In the scene where Pinkie runs off crying, Mud Briar says “See you later,” which is interesting given his earlier conversation with Pinkie in the baking supply store. It means he wants to see her again later, which is pretty sweet.

Points to you for catching that subtle and welcome nod to personality development. I caught it and it made me smile and instantly like him.

I often connect IRL experiences with some of the more adult centric situations on this show, and I've been in this very situation before, as the boyfriend that the girlfriend's sister didn't like. Curious depictions, and a tad accurate resolution as Pinkie still seems to have some annoyances with Mudbriar that she has to learn to bear. Good episode in general. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Okay, Marble and Limestone's lesson to Pinkie was beautifully taught. The metaphor works wonderfully.

Finished it. I still can't effing stand Sheldon Pony (and his "technically" gag is painfully unfunny), and having two Mauds is too much (especially since I'm not a big fan of her or her humor), but Pinkie's behavior was understandable, and the metaphor taught by her two other sisters is really well-done. It has a great lesson of appreciating people beyond the outside and learning why folks like them when you don't. Act 3 really saved this piece from totally cringeworthy.

I don't know where I'll place it as a grade, but it could likely be somewhere in the middle. B-/C+, perhaps.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

I thought it was a great episode, I actually like Mudbriar a lot, and I think that he and Maud will go together perfectly :love:

It was also nice to have a decent Pinkie Pie episode where she didn't feel completely crazy or acted out of character. I think that she was written just right and wasn't too over the top about anything. It was also nice to see Pinkie's two sisters as well, it's been a while since we've last seen them :wau: 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, I finished the episode. And while not the worst I've ever seen, there just wasn't much that appealed to me. Still, if Maud and her boyfriend are happy with each other even with their expressions on their faces VERY subdued. (Hoped I used the word correctly), then I'm fine with them being together. 

I'll admit though that when the guy imagined all those images flying around him as he meditates was a nice way of looking into his psyche. What actually was a little legitimately funny was that for once in a while, 4th-wall-aware Pinkie Pie COULDN'T see it. I think.......

Also, Pinkie getting advice from her jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold sister, Limestone Pie and Sister of few Words, Marble Pie was a nice unexpected moment of sweetness.

On a side note, I was just a little upset to not be able to log onto these forums since last night, and only being able to get in briefly before the weak connection cuts into me looking around. But I'm here now after a short day of work. All in all, I'd say today was average.

Edited by We.
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie is very aggressive in this ep, everytime that guy says anything including 'Technically' will trigger her or something, she annoyed me during the whole episode (not in the funny ways). 

Mudbriar is another Maud with sticks.

Never see Maud smiles that much in any episode, that guy could make her happy. 

Limestone and Marble back. They are in my wish list. Limestone is very helpful to Pinkie instead of being bossy all the time (yeah, she lived in the rock farm, life is hard I guess).

Not many surprises in this ep, we already know Mudbriar is a good guy, its just Pinkie being so over-protective. The humor is dry that I need to drink more water. An enjoyable episodes at least but not anything spectacular. Pinkie in the act 2 is worst part of this ep that hinder my enjoyment for this ep, I don't even know Sheldon character that everyone talking about, but I already see him as a perfect boy friend for Maud already, he is TECHNICALLY a Maud ver 2.0 or I call him "Stick in the MAUD", why cant Pinkie see it? This ep is TECHNICALLY a Rock Solid Friendship ver 2.0 but with more dry humors. Seeing Maud more happy than usual make this ep a 8/10 for me. 

It just my first impression, if I said something stupid, don't kill me yet. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

I didn't mind this one. The episode had a good start and end. The middle dragged a little, but overall I think it was alright.

I guess I'll address the elephant in the room first. I found Mudbriar tolerable and I honestly believe that his character developed throughout the episode. Yes, he was a bit of a (I apologize if someone already made this joke), stick in the mud, but I would be interested in seeing him in another episode and see him develop further. Although, I do think he should've been introduced slightly earlier, instead of being just kind of thrown in there. I know everyone is making the Sheldon Cooper comparison, which I can sort of see, but I also can't. My dad loves Big Bang Theory, so I've seen more than enough of it to get a feel for the character.

Maud was just kind of there and Pinkie didn't feel too out of character, so I'm fine with that. The plot itself, yeah, that was lacking a bit. However, I will give the writers major props for the inclusion of Marble and Limestone. That was actually pretty well done.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
4 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Pinkie's so blinded by her adoration of Maud that she can't see how Maud and Mudbriar are quite similar.

I think it’s less that and more that she knows Maud much better, so she sees what she likes in Maud whole she doesn’t see it in Mudbriar. Also, while they are quite similar, they are also a bit different, and when people know people well they focus on the differences rather than the similarities. After all, everything is relative, and people frame things around what they know. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

Honestly I feel weird in how much I liked Mud, considering how much hate he's getting.

For one I don't think he's exactly the same as Maud. He's not quite as monotone and he's a bit more talkative. More snooty sounding.

Also, maybe his humour did it for me, because I loved how insufferably pedantic he was. It worked well up against Pinkie. See, we never got to see what Pinkie would've been like if she also didn't "get" Maud the way the Mane Cast didn't in Maud Pie. Even then it went beyond that, I think Mud is the first pony who legitimately pisses Pinkie off who isn't also supposed to be evil. And I don't think it's an intentional hatred either. He genuinely infuriates her just from his personality,  and I think she was trying to get along. She restarted the conversation several times just to go again. Many probably found it ridiculous, I thought the sheer level of her double standard was so pronounced it had to be intentional.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 4

Apologies for this slightly off-topic post but I really want to commend the writer for something:

I really enjoy the subtle tricks Nick Confalone puts in his stories to keep the right character from learning the right lesson especially in these Pinkie/Maud episodes.

In "Hearthsbreakers" you have Applejack commenting on Twilight and Spike's traditions beforehand with simple and positive statements so that wgen she does experience the shock it is not Pinkie's family at fault but Applejack and not even her family.

In "Rock Solid Friendship" we have that Starlight/Maud flashback that is absolutely brilliant. Going back to "No Second Prances" we have Starlight worrying that ponies will judge her for her past, how to avoid that have the new friend already be aware of her past. Now she has nothing to worry about. This doesn't become a "Pinkie is worried Starlight will blow it" kind of obsession. Starlight is not the focus of the lesson and easily falls into the support for the real lesson between Pinkie and Maud.

Now in "The Maud Couple" that earlier scene in the bakery with Mudbriar works great to establish a believable contrast with Pinkie before the reveal. Now Pinkie has a reason to be upset and it doesn't become "Pinkie is over-protective of her sister and doesn't trust any boyfriend to be worthy for her (almost a re-treading of RSF)" In fact she ecstatic to here this news showing she is completely open to the idea. That earlier interaction was perfect to make this conflict about Pinkie and Mudbriar. Maud is not at fault and thanks to that bakery exchange we know Mudbriar is not deceiving her with his personality as we get to see how he acts not around Maud or even regarding her. Pinkie is put in the wrong for her mistrust and at the same time justified in her thought process. And just like everyone else I loved that metaphor and lesson especially with the added sentiment that tolerating doesn't mean total acceptance but at least understanding why others do accept such a person.

These are the characterization introspectives I enjoy so keep it up, Nick!:lol:

• Brohoof 2