Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Get Off Your Electronics

Feather Scribbles

Do you honestly not care about your personal health? Studies have proven that looking at a screen causes brain damage, brain cancer, dementia, amnesia, eyesight problems, etc. So if you are reading this article, turn off your electronic device and dispose of it.

EDIT: Apologies, I left my account running and logged in, and my sister was on the family computer and she posted this. How do I remove a subject?

Edited by Feather Scribbles

2 minutes ago, Feather Scribbles said:

Do you honestly not care about your personal health? Studies have proven that looking at a screen causes brain damage, brain cancer, dementia, amnesia, eyesight problems, etc. So if you are reading this article, turn off your electronic device and dispose of it.

yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-no-for-me-dog.jpg

what studies? what article? 

• Brohoof 13

Your message is lacking moderation in the way you present this information. This might cause people to answer in disbelief, or simply ignore it due to its exaggeration.

Also, moderation can be applied to the use of electronics as well, if you notice any disorderly, excessive or abusive behaviour.

• Brohoof 8

49 minutes ago, Feather Scribbles said:

Do you honestly not care about your personal health?

eh, not really

Studies have proven that looking at a screen causes brain damage, brain cancer, dementia, amnesia, eyesight problems, etc.

provide some links from credible sources

So if you are reading this article, turn off your electronic device and dispose of it.

article? also, no. welcome to modern times, we have electronics.

how did you even post this, if not with electronics?

0/10 bad troll. or, if you're serious, think for a while about this and maybe do some actual research. not that you'll really find anything. any google searches would tell you that what you said is true, because people who believe this are going to be the only ones talking about it.

the only one that has any slight truth to it is eyesight problems, maybe. but how is looking at a screen going to give you cancer?

Edited by meme
  • Brohoof 4

I've got enough problems in my life without needing this to get added on top. While it can be seen as a concern in some circles, others might not think highly about it without some kind of proper evidence.

• Brohoof 2

Yea no, not practical considering I take all of my courses online now. I believe people were saying something very similar about reading books damaging your eyes just a few decades ago.

• Brohoof 4

Don't feed the trolls :icwudt: .

I do admit I wish I was less involved with electronics (such as my laptop and phone), although I lack the ambition to go out and do something more active. I do work, occasionally go to flight school (weather permitting...) and play in an ensemble once a week. I do feel sometimes like I wish I had more time in the day :P, even though I realistically have a lot of time off.

• Brohoof 1

I find it ironic that you post it through the internet on your computer. :P

So yeah, you first please.

• Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, Olly said:

yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-no-for-me-dog.jpg

what studies? what article? 

Lots of studies and research into screen time and its effects on the brain as seen through neural imaging are included in here. Though it's tied to excessive use and addiction and not normal use. 

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

No sources or links to substantiate this nonsense claim, so hard pass on that one.

Took me one quick Google search, and another to validate in an academic DB. Like, all of 5 minutes to find that there may be some legitimate impairment. Why just write off a claim as nonsense when it takes so little effort to confirm yourself? 

Just now, Jeric said:

Took me one quick Google search, and another to validate in an academic DB. Like, all of 5 minutes to find that there may be some legitimate impairment. Why just write off a claim as nonsense when it takes so little effort to confirm yourself? 

It sounded like total nonsense to me at first, and I didn't look to verify it because the OP should have done the looking before posting the topic on the subject. However, I looked at your source and i does present an interesting case, but doesn't remotely warrant drastic measures like the OP suggests. It just warrants a degree of caution and little else.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Kyoshi said:

Ah yes, the dreaded 'Screen looking' cancer, how could I forget it? It' almost as bad as the 'controller using' finger cancer, or the 'chewing food' mouth cancer. 

The cancer part is ridiculous, yes. That said ....

Spoiler

Reduced cortical thickness: Hong and colleagues found reduced cortical (the outermost part of the brain) thickness in internet-addicted teen boys (Hong 2013), and Yuan et al found reduced cortical thickness in the frontal lobe of online gaming addicts (late adolescent males and females) correlated with impairment of a cognitive task (Yuan 2013). 

Impaired cognitive functioning: Imaging studies have found less efficient information processing and reduced impulse inhibition (Dong & Devito 2013), increased sensitivity to rewards and insensitivity to loss (Dong & Devito 2013), and abnormal spontaneous brain activity associated with poor task performance (Yuan 2011).

There is strong evidence of ... well ... screen time and decreased cognitive function. I have my own theory that mostly revolves around stimulation affecting sleep that some clinicians have observed as well. 

Just now, ~Dusky~ said:

It sounded like total nonsense to me at first, and I didn't look to verify it because the OP should have done the looking before posting the topic on the subject. However, I looked at your source and i does present an interesting case, but doesn't remotely warrant drastic measures like the OP suggests. It just warrants a degree of caution and little else.

Completely agreed. I think probably the causal issue is lack of sleep which is more common when you are gaming or up late on the PC. 

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Feather Scribbles said:

brain cancer, dementia...

I've looked for both of these and have seen not one source corroborating them, not even one with limited credibility.

Even the other two problems only occur with some severity after using the computer for extremely long periods of time over a consistent basis... 

11 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I've looked for both of these and have seen not one source corroborating them, not even one with limited credibility.

100% correct ... electronics causing cancer is complete bunk and been refuted time and time again. Dementia is usually presented with some physiological change in the body or brain (plaque, vascular issues, etc) that are not connected in anyone to electronic use. I mean, when people toss around dementia and causes, I wonder what they know about it. You have so many various diseases that are categorized as dementia because dementia isn't even a disease. Huntington's, CTE, Alzheimer's, Vascular Dementia,  Frontotemporal Dementia, Lewy, Korsakoff Syndrome, and PCA or just some of the diseases that cause dementia symptoms. Most of these have completely different causes. 

So my main takeaway is that too much time in front of a screen can interfere with sleep, which can interfere with how well you function mentally. Take regular breaks and try and get restorative sleep every night and you shouldn't have any issues, regardless of whether you are gaming, browsing, or staring at code and spreadsheets at work. That's for regular folks. If you are addicted it's a different story (obviously). 

• Brohoof 3