Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things we've believed as a kid

Lucid_Nightlight

We've all thought something as a kid.

When I was a kid, I mean I'm still legally a kid considering I'm 16, but when I was like REALLY little, I would play this EA football game on GameCube and I remember this thing always saying "EA sports, it's in the the game." And I would think it was telling me how to spell the word "sports" yes, when I was like 5 or so, I thought "sports" was spelt EA.

• Brohoof 5

I thought the world used to be black and white. This seems to be a really common belief for kids who have seen old photos or films.

I also remember another one which was a lot weirder. I thought there were eye shops. Not opticians or anything like that but shops that sell actual human eyes. :derp: I also thought extremely rich people had money bins like Scrooge McDuck.

• Brohoof 6

I used to think that in all stores if you're a kid, you can take anything you like without paying. So i did. Nevertheless, I still couldn't believe that no workers ever caught me. 

• Brohoof 1

I believed the moral standing of the average citizen to be a truth of human nature.

I wasn't aware a society could go so far as to promote a false image of each individual, under a set of normatives that not only don't reflect the inherent nature of each human being, but also encourage the adoption of an artificial behaviour to fit within said social complex. Meaning, distancing a being from its own being.

My belief started to be replaced by understanding at early age. This lead to various conflicts with centers of power, within and without my own biological family.

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Lucid_Nightlight said:

We've all thought something as a kid.

When I was a kid, I mean I'm still legally a kid considering I'm 16, but when I was like REALLY little, I would play this EA football game on GameCube and I remember this thing always saying "EA sports, it's in the the game." And I would think it was telling me how to spell the word "sports" yes, when I was like 5 or so, I thought "sports" was spelt EA.

I've always thought the voice would say: "EA Sports, turn the game!" That didn't make much sense, I guess...

I used to think that when a country "won" land, the land would physically move, and that's how the world changed from Pangaea to what it is currently. Then I found out about plate tectonics :adorkable: and then boy did I feel dumb

2 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I believed the moral standing of the average citizen to be a truth of human nature.

I wasn't aware a society could go so far as to promote a false image of each individual, under a set of normatives that not only don't reflect the inherent nature of each human being, but also encourage the adoption of an artificial behaviour to fit within said social complex. Meaning, distancing a being from its own being.

My belief started to be replaced by understanding at early age. This lead to various conflicts with centers of power, within and without my own biological family.

Unfortunately, this is the society we live in nowadays...actually, I might be wrong...humans have always had this kind of behaviour, but I'm glad to know that not all the people are that way

When I was young, I thought the Moon was following me, whenever I was headed to!

2 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

Edited by Vintjack

I personally can't remember any weird thing I believed as a kid, but my sister when she was 7 told me that Mars wasn't a planet.

Not too weird of a thing to think, but, upon being pressed on the subject, she elaborated that Mars wasn't a planet because we couldn't live inside it, and, further, that we lived inside Earth and spaceships could reach space only by means of giant drills mounted on their fronts (hence why the tips were always so pointy) and the stars, moon, and sun were clusters of fairies who worked in 12-hour shifts to illuminate the world.

She realised her mistake and started making a joke out of it about halfway through her justifications, but she legitimately thought that we lived inside Earth prior to that conversation.

• Brohoof 1

As a kid, I always thought the sun was following me and only me. Like it either want to keep me warm or burn me depending on the temperature and everyone else is just collateral damage.

Oh yeah, and I thought the Crescent Moon was really the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Like how he appeared right after Alice's sad "Good Advice" song.

• Brohoof 2

Not to get religious, but when I was very small, I thought Jesus grew to adulthood in just the months between Christmas and Easter Sunday. I also used to think the line in was "God and sinners, rest awhile" in "Hark! The Herold Angels Sing". I also wholeheartedly believed my dad when he said he could run between the raindrops.

When I was like, 4 and 5, I used to think that when the sun sets, it goes underground. :lol: I also strongly believed it was possible to walk on clouds...until my mom told me the truth: if you try walking on a cloud, you'll fall through it. My long-time dream of living on a cloud was crushed after that. :lol: 

When I was a kid, I thought those TV shows (including cartoons) were really happening, like with the news. I sympathized with the characters who got hurt or unfairly punished, when those things were played for laughs.

Didn't question how the screen could conveniently stay focused on the action no matter what, and switch between locations in the wink of an eye. Didn't wonder how the same characters could sometimes play different roles; like in medieval times for example, after watching them in modern contexts in previous episodes.

I also believed some things that adults and peers told me: that children are made by loving each other and wanting a kid, that being good always pays off, that people don't lie about getting hurt, that something isn't harassment if a girl is doing it... you get the picture.

• Brohoof 1

When I was a kid I believe that if you sprinkled salt on a pigeons tail feathers, it would either confuse or unbalance it long enough that you could quickly grab it before it really had a chance to fly off.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

My grandparents told me that dragonflies would sew my ears shut if I let them fly too close. But obviously I didn't listen to such silliness, I just turned a deaf ear to it. :confused:

Leleleleleleleleleleel, “deaf ear” to it :love: .

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

That if I acted like a cat long enough, I would turn into one, this lasted for seven years. And that there was a witch in a tree next to my house, and my cat could teleport, and the way animals got pregnant is by having another animal sniff their butt, Africa and Asia were countries, Germany was right next to Canada, and that the bluish-looking silhouette of trees/mountains in the distance was the ocean because it looked blue so it had to be water. and that my toys would come to life if I played with them enough, Russia and Ukraine were the same thing, Antarctica was full of cats, and South America, North America, and the United States of America were all one and the same, but Canada was its own separate thing. 

I also believed in the tooth fairy, santa, ghosts, bigfoot, the easter bunny, and all those things were all real.

• Brohoof 1