Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Complain About Something

Altastrofae
Message added by Jeric

This topic is for general venting. This is not the proper platform to complain about the MLPF Community or Forum Issues. We have an entire section devoted to that. Thank you

9 hours ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

No matter how many ways I present information to my students they still don't get it. Being a high school science teacher is hard. :mlp_wink:

Have you tried leaving the classroom and coming back in?

Yeah, some students/pupils aren't used to logic... then again, neither are some grown adults with Master's and PhD's.

14 hours ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

No matter how many ways I present information to my students they still don't get it. Being a high school science teacher is hard. :mlp_wink:

Heya @Sunlight Glisten!

Have you seen Symphony of Science by melodysheep?  Like "The Greatest Show on Earth"?  Because my brain works a bit differently than most ponies, I often didn't understand certain mathematical and scientific concepts (especially those that seemed I could not relate to or have any bearing or use in my life).  Once I saw and heard these pieces though, things turned around!  But then again, I've always loved music.  I also felt that these pieces were terrific conversation starters, especially given that all of melodysheep's science-based content has only the words of the scientists and engineers themselves.  I like that!

Try this one on if you haven't seen these yet! =)  And if they don't help, I hope they help move your mind in a direction that does get you to a solution!  =)

Spoiler

*thinks hard...*

Nope!  I still can't think of anything so bad that I need to post it on this thread...  But I'll keep trying!

Honor and fun,

Summer Storm =)

47 minutes ago, Summer Storm said:

Heya @Sunlight Glisten!

Have you seen Symphony of Science by melodysheep?  Like "The Greatest Show on Earth"?  Because my brain works a bit differently than most ponies, I often didn't understand certain mathematical and scientific concepts (especially those that seemed I could not relate to or have any bearing or use in my life).  Once I saw and heard these pieces though, things turned around!  But then again, I've always loved music.  I also felt that these pieces were terrific conversation starters, especially given that all of melodysheep's science-based content has only the words of the scientists and engineers themselves.  I like that!

Try this one on if you haven't seen these yet! =)  And if they don't help, I hope they help move your mind in a direction that does get you to a solution!  =)

Hide contents

*thinks hard...*

Nope!  I still can't think of anything so bad that I need to post it on this thread...  But I'll keep trying!

Honor and fun,

Summer Storm =)

Thanks. I'll look into it. 

23 hours ago, Summer Storm said:

Because my brain works a bit differently than most ponies, I often didn't understand certain mathematical and scientific concepts (especially those that seemed I could not relate to or have any bearing or use in my life).  Once I saw and heard these pieces though, things turned around!  But then again, I've always loved music.

You know... it's true, school presents knowledge in the most boring way imaginable. Well, maybe not so much all the time, but close to 95% of classes are still taught like that. There's maybe a couple hours every week on average dedicated to practicals, computer simulations and the like.

French administration actually encourages teachers to present the real thing rather than images, and present images than words. It's very unreasonable to go on field trips though, or bringing the subject of study into the class sometimes. Even when you do it, it's still accompanied by stuff on a paper or screen, providing strict instructions for follow.

There's also the fact that a teacher has to be police and leader (even a parent for some...) figure, so familiarity is out of the question. I think part of the reason for the success of such TV shows, such as Bill Nye in the US and C'est Pas Sorcier in France, is because they can ignore that authority aspect and focus more on making science sound fun.

(more in Spoilers)

Spoiler

I mean, I'm sure it'd be very easy for kids to remember something like this
tumblr_okajpgJhVl1w24mito1_1280.jpg

or this, but it's a little worrisome
tumblr_omo7oqnXzI1w5pz25o1_540.jpg

This also works
tumblr_inline_nm0iehaWnh1qewrwz_500.jpg

maybe even this
tumblr_nic1o85vZm1qewacoo1_1280.png
tumblr_nic1o85vZm1qewacoo2_1280.png

Science can be used to recreate art: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/agar-art-contest_us_56253e13e4b02f6a900d3d57?ir=Arts&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000027

...or make art anew
1520142026148.jpg

Clever use of science can secretly save lives
tumblr_nfn4eyZWF61rhavdko1_r1_500.png

or to write secret notes: https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/03/rainworks-street-art-seattle/

Even videogames can be used to illustrate: http://feathery-dreamer.tumblr.com/post/147088121561/nerdgerhl-lyinginbedmon-lesbophobes

What if religion were taught like this in classes: http://feathery-dreamer.tumblr.com/post/177510890696/ragnell-danbensen-exxos-von-steamboldt

You could even teach them about animals with hilarious names, like Aha ha or Boops boops (yes those are official binomial names for animal species)

And in any case, everybody remember:

tumblr_otvfozLkuD1rpu8e5o1_1280.png

Edited by Feather Spiral
found some nice science posts and memes

My father woke me up at 5am and I haven't been able to fall asleep again. Yay, only 5 hours of sleep on my first day of classes. :bea:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watching jacksepticeye play the latest Spiderman made me wanna play The Amazing Spiderman again, after many years. I made some time yesterday afternoon, and not even remembering where I'd last left off, I started a new game (also to re-learn the controls).

During my 4-hours-or-so gameplay (hadn't realized how fun it is, past the bs I'll now rant about), I noted a few things. I forgot most of those, so here's only a few - since it's such an old game, I won't bother with the spoiler thing:

- Why tf didn't they think to at least add on-screen tips for that Rhino fight? they added one for the giant robot in the park, telling me to aim for the very blatantly glowing weak spots. But not a word about the very specific technique required to beat the Rhino. I had to look up a playthrough video to find out, I was supposed to lure Rhino into those trucks and web-rush him.

- Speaking of Web Rush, it just sucks that it auto-targets sometimes, since you use the same button for a stealth takedown. On several occasions, it made me attack someone when all I wanted was quietly jump to the wall nearby, or made me land right next to the guy I wanted to stealth-takedown, and alerted everyone.

- Moving off from the stealth attack, some of Spidey's comments after it are silly. "Now think about what you've done" ...bitch that's some poor chap who got bitten by a mutant rat and turned into a mindless zombie, he's done literally nothing.

- The web-shooting attack; the basic one is fine, you can web up enemies by firing small globs of web, and it even homes in on an enemy automatically. Holding the same button lets you shoot a long string instead, but it's completely useless as far as I can tell. It doesn't target enemies (like the globs) or even go where you're looking, it just fires wherever your body is turned and seems to have no effect on the target (maybe I'm just using it wrong).

I strongly dislike it when students at my high school claim their opinions as facts. Also, I strongly dislike when kids at my high school act super edgy (to a degree where they use their edginess to present hatred towards another student or person).

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

People are still referencing my MLP avatar when sending anon hate or insulting me publicly simply because of a disagreement. Believe it or not, it's usually "tumblr feminist" girls - I'd expect feminists to appreciate people watching this show, with strong female leads countering hate with sympathy.

• Brohoof 1

Why can't my dad or my grandma just stop f***ing lying about this s*** situation THEY put me in?

My dad's version is that we were cajoled into moving to Texas by my grandma when she wanted help on the farm, then she manipulated us into serving her purposes. In his version, she's actually the cause of our problems because she didn't allow him to do what he wanted to do how he wanted it done. So he had to do it her way and everything went bust. Also in his version he claims that he tried to help me get out of here... I can believe part of it, my grandma can be quite the manipulator. But, I also most of this to be blatantly false. She actually DID allow him to have his pigs and everything, but she was only okay with it if it was only a few, and she started getting infuriated with him because it went beyond the scope she was comfortable with. He also did almost NOTHING to help me. He got a broken car and let it sit there instead of fixing it (and then turns around and blames ME for that), not to mention that he even took money out of MY account to feed HIS pigs when it was meant for things I NEED! (Yes, I do know that for certain fact. He also has a lie about that). 

My grandma's version doesn't disagree on the fact she wanted help on the farm, but she claims she was less forceful about it. In her version, my dad caused everything to get out of hand because he got way too obsessed with pigs and didn't really pay attention to the big picture. She also claims that my dad sunk her own personal finances into the ground. Also, in her version she claims that she's done and is still doing all she can to help me. I believe a little more of this, but yet again parts and pieces of it are just wrong. She asked her to come down here in the first place because she couldn't make a profit on cows, because the price of beef was low at the time. I know she's doing FINE financially, and I can say this because I know she's making money on oil on the property my dad and I live on, that and her social security checks (that she debatably doesn't really need at this point). She did much more to help me out of this situation that BOTH of them had a hand in, but NOT ENOUGH. She helped me to apply for a couple of jobs, but that's it. She literally just gave up on me at that point. She also keeps claiming she doesn't have space in her house, but I have no idea what she's talking about. It may only have one bedroom, but there's a TON of space in the living room. Plenty for me to set up shop if she were actually nice and not trying to manipulate me into believing she's doing everything she can.

The truth is sort of a combination of both. My grandma begged and pleaded with my dad to help her on the farm so she could manage selling more cows, but my dad was stubborn about it and decided to start his own venture, which was fine until it got out of control. Then my grandma started b****ing because she claimed my dad was way to obsessed with his pigs and that he just needs to sell them. She had a point on that one, but yes, it sounded that harsh. His finances around 2014 or so started to go into the toilet and then he started needing to get loans from my grandma's money so he could afford to feed his pigs and afford the phone bills. This was messed up of him, but her reaction was a bit more messed up. She started b****ing about him having no money. Then everything started going to s***. Dad started accusing grandma of trying to tell him to go out and kill his pigs (which she never said ONCE), and it only went from there. She had enough and moved out, and now he's milked my account dry after STEALING THE MONEY (except it's not legally theft because he was the "Representative Payee" on the account). Now he's doing everything short of forcing me into helping him with the very thing that F***ED ME OVER, and there was nothing I could do about it because I had NO MONEY. They may be my family, but frankly both of them have screwed me over and left me to dry. I'm starting to be unsure whether I should really care about them or not any more after really thinking about how much both of them completely and utterly took a heaping s*** on the hope I did have for myself. It makes me f***ing sick.

• Brohoof 1

People in this world lack so much common sense... Seriously, some people must think 2+2 actually equals 5. I would be far from surprised, as I've heard plenty more illogical things in political discussions, including but not limited to global warming being invented by the government, and that Bernie Sanders is a communist when it's been well established that he isn't... :confused: Not to mention half of Ted Cruz's platform that could ONLY win a place like Texas. If that campaign were run in a state where there wasn't an alt-right maniac around the corner, he would have DEFINITELY lost without any doubt.

Edited by ~Dusky~
Avoiding Double Posting,