Vintjack Greasymane

Lack of episodes for an entire year

Evening, everypony!

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I haven't found anything regarding it, so I thought I could create a discussion about it, and finally get to know what happened.

Not so much time ago, I noticed that normally, between the finale of a season and the beginning of another one, there are like 6 months to wait...but there is an exception for seasons 4 and 5. Season 4 ended on 10th May, 2014, while season 5 started airing on 4th April, 2015...so, there's been basically a 5 months delay. Could someone tell me why? I mean, I guess this has affected nothing, and is not that relevant, but I'm just curious to find out!:P

4 minutes ago, Vintjack Greasymane said:

Evening, everypony!

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I haven't found anything regarding it, so I thought I could create a discussion about it, and finally get to know what happened.

Not so much time ago, I noticed that normally, between the finale of a season and the beginning of another one, there are like 6 months to wait...but there is an exception for seasons 4 and 5. Season 4 ended on 10th May, 2014, while season 5 started airing on 4th April, 2015...so, there's been basically a 5 months delay. Could someone tell me why? I mean, I guess this has affected nothing, and is not that relevant, but I'm just curious to find out!:P

What happened is similar to what happens in a traffic jam. The show originally was expected to end at a specific time. The decision was made to continue the show, but the timing of the decision, coupled with a few major staffing changes during early development of Season's Four and Five, and some major announcements related to the future of the franchise and IP ... it needed a few months of extra planning. The delay actually impacted Hasbro's bottom line and they made a promise to investors on a call I listened to that this delay would not happen again. Since then, the FiM development pipeline has been almost constant with no breaks. 

Just now, Jeric said:

What happened is similar to what happens in a traffic jam. The show originally was expected to end at a specific time. The decision was made to continue the show, but the timing of the decision, coupled with a few major staffing changes during early development of Season's Four and Five, and some major announcements related to the future of the franchise and IP ... it needed a few months of extra planning. The delay actually impacted Hasbro's bottom line and they made a promise to investors on a call I listened to that this delay would not happen again. Since then, the FiM development pipeline has been almost constant with no breaks. 

That explains many things...

All right, thank you, then! You've been really clear!:derp:

I think it also had to do a little, because during the gap, the first Equestria Girls came out

Badges

It didn't help matters that proceeding the year long drought between S4 and 5, was S3 being only 13 episodes long, followed by a 9 month wait. 

39 episodes between November 2012 and April 2015. The amount of official pony content was rather minimal in relation to years that came before or since. 

Badges

>...Season 4 ended on 10th May, 2014, while season 5 started airing on 4th April, 2015...so, there's been basically a 5 months delay. 

Five months?  Try a whole year.

I heard that a lot of people actually left the fandom during that nearly year-long hiatus of no new official pony content  

Badges

With Equestria Girls being a thing, this 'hiatus' business doesn't hold much weight on account that we're getting new content, albeit through a spin-off as opposed to the main part. I know not everyone likes EQG but I for one feel that hiatuses for MLP between seasons aren't as bad as they once were.

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

I'm curious as to where you found this information.

Badges

14 hours ago, Mortar said:

>...Season 4 ended on 10th May, 2014, while season 5 started airing on 4th April, 2015...so, there's been basically a 5 months delay. 

I think he meant season 5 was delayed 5 months from when it would've normally premiered.

14 hours ago, Mortar said:

I didn't consider the average 6 months of waiting between two seasons

3 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I think he meant season 5 was delayed 5 months from when it would've normally premiered.

Yes, I meant that

Remember, S4 ended with Twilight's Kingdom + some major staff shifts. No doubt, everything was all discombobulated. +They had the first EQ girls to fill in the gap while they set their new directions.