Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

It is a good idea to appeal o the japanese market this close to (allegedly) end?

Steve Piranha

So, some new upcoming pony merchandise are coming, but a couple of lines stand out above the rest: the MLP x Kikirara crossover with Hello Kitty creator: Sanrio; and the Bishoujo EG statuettes. Why I find it weird? Because I  think it's a huge risk to license the brand to japanese companies, where their biggest market is their home country, and MLP isn't that big there as fr as I understand. Maybe not so much with the statuettes, as EG is fairly popular in contrast, but the Sanrio partnership is the one I see the biggest problem. Not to say they won't sell here in America, but the price must be high in comparison with other plushes in the Sanrio case, but the statuettes I've heard they are more expensive than videogames. I'm not very acknowledged in the subject, but I can't help but think it's a big risk, and unexpected considering the end may be neigh  

Without knowing the details behind Sanrio's or Kotobukiya's contracts with Hasbro, there's nothing to suggest that either product will fail. There are plenty of Japanese companies that have a history of developing products specifically for overseas demographics. Their home consumer base is not always the market they'll try to appeal to, especially not when their products are based on Western brands. I think it's more likely that Japanese retailers will receive limited quantities of these new MLP items compared to the West to satisfy what little demand there is in that region.

Look at Marvel and DC. Their characters only have a cult following in Japan at best, yet Square-Enix managed to build huge profits with their respective licenses. The Play Arts Kai superhero figures they made have been a hot item for a multitude of consumers in America, from comic book fans, to action figure collectors, art enthusiasts, and even anime fans in the case of the Marvel/DC Variant lines (some of which were designed by Tetsuya Nomura, who's best known for his Final Fantasy illustrations). That's how Square's been producing them for more than a decade now. They're only starting to lose popularity due to the ridiculous price increases with each new line up, not to mention their fixation with milking the shit out of Batman. But they've also made Play Arts figures for several American movie and video game franchises, including Star Wars, Alien, Predator, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc. If something in America has a large enough fanbase, they'll likely have acquired the rights to produce merchandise for it. Their sales in Japan mean very little in the long run. With that said, I'm surprised they haven't made their own Play Arts Equestria Girls figures by now.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan

12 minutes ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Without knowing the details behind Sanrio's or Kotobukiya's contracts with Hasbro, there's nothing to suggest that either product will fail. There are plenty of Japanese companies that have a history of developing products specifically for overseas demographics. Their home consumer base is not always the market they'll try to appeal to, especially not when their products are based on Western brands. I think it's more likely that Japanese retailers will receive limited quantities of these new MLP items compared to the West to satisfy what little demand there is in that region.

Look at Marvel and DC. Their characters only have a cult following in Japan at best, yet Square-Enix managed to build huge profits with their respective licenses. The Play Arts Kai superhero figures they made have been a hot item for a multitude of consumers in America, from comic book fans, to action figure collectors, art enthusiasts, and even anime fans in the case of the Marvel/DC Variant lines (some of which were designed by Tetsuya Nomura, who's best known for his Final Fantasy illustrations). That's how Square's been producing them for more than a decade now. They're only starting to lose popularity due to the ridiculous price increases with each new line up, not to mention their fixation with milking the shit out of Batman. But they've also made Play Arts figures for several American movie and video game franchises, including Star Wars, Alien, Predator, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc. If something in America has a large enough fanbase, they'll likely have acquired the rights to produce merchandise for it. Their sales in Japan mean very little in the long run. With that said, I'm surprised they haven't made their own Play Arts Equestria Girls figures by now.

But still, even if it's mostly at our side of the planet, we have to take into account that we bronies aren't as profitable a before, plus the alleged end in two years for FiM makes me raise an eyebrow. I think all this stuff was better off years back :huh: 

9 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

But still, even if it's mostly at our side of the planet, we have to take into account that we bronies aren't as profitable a before, plus the alleged end in two years for FiM makes me raise an eyebrow. I think all this stuff was better off years back :huh: 

Japan isn't on the same schedule as the US and Canada, they are a few season behind. Either way, Hasbro knows what they are doing. 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

While that is true, the EQG Bishoujo statues aren't just being made to attract bronies. They're going to share the same stylized look as the rest of the characters they've made, so that already makes them a draw for fans of anime and magical schoolgirls in general. In both regions, that's a genre with a fairly respectable following in and of itself.

And I'm sure that Kikirara crossover merch will garner enough interest from young girls to be profitable. The MLP movie helped boost Hasbro's toy sales, so they know that interest for the brand is still there.