Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of the episode?  

133 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• This was pure NEGATIVE couture! THE NERVE!!!
    • I am disappointed; Rarity For You is NOT for me!
    • Eh; it's meh.
    • Okay, I think we got something here!
    • OMG LIKE BEST DESIGN EVUH!!!!

35 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

And Fake It got itself a classic millennial stereotype: the "liker." Millennial are far more than someone who forcibly spouts "like" every other word.

It's not like this character is actually identified as a millennial. I'm pretty sure that stereotype predates the millennial generation. 

• Brohoof 1

Okay, WTH, FS? Going full millennial caricature to the millennial stereotype? *facehoof*

>"tea's, like, lukewarm and barely drinkable"

And you're, like, a plothole for spitting it on the raccoons.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah. Seeing the whole episode, I’m afraid I’m gonna need to put my hat in the "not a big fan" category.

And I LIKED Maud couple. Quite a bit actually. Maybe because it had Starlight in it I don’t know.

This one, I think the problem for me is the ending. I got what they were going for actually. The mere existence and effectiveness of Shy’s personas shows that she has the inner strength to cover the store, but in pretending to be someone else she kind of lost herself over time. I think Hamilton’s comedy writing doesn’t gel with the show’s sentimentality. I hated that final few seconds, where Shy is just mean to another pony while pretending to be someone else, and just fobs it off as "inner strength". It just felt mean. I also wish Shy could’ve felt worse about treating Smokey and the gang badly. She tries to defend what she said, and it’s really weird.

Now, what I did like was a lot of the side stuff in this. I liked Spike being good at charades. I liked the cast running to Shy's aid and knowing her. I liked a few of the gags actually, like Rarity and that first customer glaring at each other and Fluttershy counting out threads with a magnifying glass.

One of the weirdest parts that I liked was Rarity telling that pony on the runway to believe in herself and sell it when she couldn’t get her ensemble done in time, and the pony actually goes for it like a trooper. That was honestly a highlight for me and I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. I was NOT expecting it.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 4

28 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It's not like this character is actually identified as a millennial. I'm pretty sure that stereotype predates the millennial generation. 

Yes. It most certainly does. In fact most millennial stereotypes were used to describe my cohort (Gen X) at the time. 

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

One of the weirdest parts that I liked was Rarity telling that pony on the runway to believe in herself and sell it when she couldn’t get her ensemble done in time, and the pony actually goes for it like a trooper. That was honestly a highlight for me and I don't mean that as a backhanded compliment. I was NOT expecting it.

Indeed it was a great and relatable moment, both as Rarity and as the model.

FS *scolds raccoons*: This tea must always be at a precise temperature. See that it doesn't happen again!

Raccoons: *slumps down in sadness*

…What the hell? FS, why would you scold and yell at the raccoons?!

• Brohoof 2

This was a good episode. For some reason these Season 8 episodes have a little more cringy stuff than in the past, but they always resolve. Great illustration of reminding us to never hide who we are and put on a mask just to try to "blend in" or "impress" others. 

Although, IMO, the episode in general was more or less average and I find it odd that Fluttershy suddenly has no idea about clothes and fashion (she demonstrated some of it before), I learned that she is a very good actress, even unsettlingly good. 

And goth Fluttershy - I never knew I needed it so much.

Spoiler

I see people are complaining about her acting OOC. To me, it Pinkie in the last week's episode acted even more so, but this time ponies at least notice it. 

I watched it and I've got somewhat mixed feelings about this episode. It was definitely not bad, and I found it entertaining enough, but for me, it's not representative of MLP at its best. I enjoyed the first three episodes of the season much more.

Fluttershy was obviously the star here, and it was nice to see a side of her never explored before. Seeing and hearing her take multiple roles different from both her own personality and each other was the highlight of the episode for me. Andrea Libman did a great job with the voices. However, the whole idea of Fluttershy adapting a different demeanor and going overboard was done before in "Putting Your Hoof Down" which I found more interesting. Fluttershy has had starring roles which I liked much more (such as the aforementioned "Putting Your Hoof Down" and "Hurricane Fluttershy"), though I enjoyed this more than "Fluttershy Leans In" from last season. Regardless, I felt that this episode suffered from the same problem as that one – it didn't have a lot of comedy, dramatic elements or an especially exciting conflict. The most memorable things about the episode, in addition to Fluttershy's role in it, were the raccoons' reactions to being called rodents (the funniest part of the episode for me) and seeing some returning characters from previous episodes. Rarity felt a little like a caricature of herself to me – how many times did she say "darling" in this episode? :please:

All in all, it was a reasonably enjoyable 20 minutes but nowhere near my favorites in the series. It wasn't one of the downright worst either, but with the high quality of the series in general, I don't think I can give this a higher rating than 7.5/10.

• Brohoof 3

FS: I don't know what's worse. That you spilled the tea or it's still cold. Either get it right, or go back to the forest!

*Raccoons chatter angrily away, throw down dishes, and toss away aprons*

FS: Oh, it is so hard to find good help these days.

*Manehattanite nods*

…Wow. Just…wow. Fluttershy, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!? Where's your character growth?!

As bad as Breezies is, at least FS was in character the whole time. As bad as Bats! is, there are some redeemable qualities. But this episode…Good God, this is her worst episode in a long time!

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

There's not even a clear line between how Fluttershy was using those characters and how mean they become. It seems like she's carefully considering her words for the right effect, rather than just being mean, and then all of a sudden... she's just being mean for its own sake, despite evidence that it's not working. Again, what?

This is easily the worst part of the episode, Fluttershy isn’t an idiot and she doesn’t have a multiple personality disorder, so what the hell just happened? This might be an entertaining episode in a different cartoon, but it’s just a flat out terrible MLP episode.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

This is easily the worst part of the episode, Fluttershy isn’t an idiot and she doesn’t have a multiple personality disorder, so what the hell just happened? This might be an entertaining episode in a different cartoon, but it’s just a flat out terrible MLP episode.

I honestly think, given everything else, that was supposed to reflect the contempt she felt for the Manehattanites. She mentions that she fell deeper into her act trying to be more like them.

Not much I can say about this episode--unusual for me--other than Andrea Libman deserves heaps and heaps of credit for her vocal range. Outside of that, this one wasn't quite as entertaining as I had hoped, but it wasn't bad to the point where it should never been seen again. Some will like it while others won't.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't find it to be that good, but I also didn't find it to be that bad. I personally wouldn't describe Fluttershy playing other shop pony characters to be "out of character" at all. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it was completely in character. Yes, Fluttershy herself would never be anything like a snooty elitist, a droll goth, or an airheaded valley girl...thus the need for her to play a character. Her true self was doing it out of the kindness of her heart, not wanting to disappoint Rarity. I think the episode's main flaw is being too reliant on the joke of Fluttershy's character, spending too much time on it only to have the episode end so abruptly with the problem being resolved just by having her characters get fired. I still enjoyed most of the lampooning of the stereotypes they mocked though, so even with the joke getting a bit repetitive and the pacing making it feel rushed towards the end, I honestly thought it was alright. Just nothing to write home about.

• Brohoof 1

FS's insults to her friends (both pony and animal) just completely degrades her character further. She doesn't act like herself, yet completely puts on a high horse to RARITY. Even her APOLOGY sounds fake, because it all happened AFTER Rarity fired each of her alter egos. Even the "You know I was only pretending" comment to the raccoons is total bullshit, hurting her character even more.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

FS's insults to her friends (both pony and animal) just completely degrades her character further. She doesn't act like herself, yet completely puts on a high horse to RARITY. Even her APOLOGY sounds fake, because it all happened AFTER Rarity fired each of her alter egos. Even the "You know I was only pretending" comment to the raccoons is total bullshit, hurting her character even more.

Her getting lost in her act I was fine with. Her bad apology especially to Smokey and his family is what really hurt it for me.

I almost wonder if the ep would've been better received if the personas were magical in some way. Because gag wise I actually really like that Rare needed to fire all of the personas to get Fluttershy back. It just feels weird when you know that Shy IS just acting.

(edited)

The many voices of Fluttershy. And Andrea Libman.

Pretty funny.

And I swear I thought that was the real Tim Gunn at first.

Though you have to wonder how much of her was being really her...

Edited by Toastypk

(edited)

Seems like based on what people are saying, I wonder about the taking it too far thing, and the "becoming" the character she is playing, it's funny and such, but it's ambiguous how she does it...

I guess I can see why some people didn't seem to like this episode, but it was enjoyable enough for me, and the ending really ties things together, being yourself but a more confident version of yourself, and not having to pretend to be somepony else to accomplish something. I guess I would have to wonder how much acting was too much. It seemed like being somepony else to accomplish what she has to was the problem, which makes the last scene where she becomes the best version of her real self and tells off the one pony, really stand out and things work out .

But yeah poor raccoons. :x

People don't seem to like how she acted and say she is OOC, but the thing with the OOC, sometimes characters do that and there's reasons for it that need explained. Maybe people don't think it was done as well in this one...

Edited by Toastypk

This is personally my most recent favourite episode of the entire series (let alone this Season as of yet)! :D

MLP + Fluttershy :fluttershy: + Entrepreneurship (currently already undergoing entrepreneural pursuits IRL myself) = Awesomeness!

• Brohoof 1

Finished with it, finally.

Well, I have a hot take: Fake It Til You Make It eclipses Putting Your Hoof Down as Fluttershy's worst characterization in the series. Why? 'Cause in PYHD, FS had some kind of genuine motive to be a plothole, thanks to everyone else being equally unpleasant to her both before the seminar and until she got on line at Sugar Cube Corner. To her, if she's gonna earn some respect and dignity, she'd have to be a jerk back. But here, DHX turns her into a jerk without providing a decent alibi because the plot demands it. Yes, the customers were rude, but that doesn't allow FS to behave worse and give them a reason to be a jerk to her. She's very lucky the raccoons decided to forgive her so quickly after verbally abusing them that afternoon.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Finished with it, finally.

Well, I have a hot take: Fake It Til You Make It eclipses Putting Your Hoof Down as Fluttershy's worst characterization in the series. Why? 'Cause in PYHD, FS had some kind of genuine motive to be a plothole, thanks to everyone else being equally unpleasant to her both before the seminar and until she got on line at Sugar Cube Corner. To her, if she's gonna earn some respect and dignity, she'd have to be a jerk back. But here, DHX turns her into a jerk without providing a decent alibi because the plot demands it. Yes, the customers were rude, but that doesn't allow FS to behave worse and give them a reason to be a jerk to her. She's very lucky the raccoons decided to forgive her so quickly after verbally abusing them that afternoon.

I think you're gonna give FITYMI an F.

And that's not a hot take. It's barely a lukewarm take. 

Edited by VG_Addict