Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of the episode?  

133 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• This was pure NEGATIVE couture! THE NERVE!!!
    • I am disappointed; Rarity For You is NOT for me!
    • Eh; it's meh.
    • Okay, I think we got something here!
    • OMG LIKE BEST DESIGN EVUH!!!!

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I was gonna suggest it was a vegan alternative, but a couple seconds of searching didn't give me any evidence that such a thing exists. Again, peculiar. 

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

I don't know how it's made, but vegan jelly does exist. 

I looked around a little bit, and apparently there are vegan substitutes for gelatin, like agar, but the sources I found said that those vegan substitutes don't really produce the "jiggly" consistency or the texture of gelatin. So I'm not sure that the stereotypical jello popped out of a big mold, like what we see in this episode, would necessarily turn out that way if a vegan substitute for gelatin were used.

1 minute ago, Music Chart Fan said:

I looked around a little bit, and apparently there are vegan substitutes for gelatin, like agar, but the sources I found said that those vegan substitutes don't really produce the "jiggly" consistency or the texture of gelatin. So I'm not sure that the stereotypical jello popped out of a big mold, like what we see in this episode, would necessarily turn out that way if a vegan substitute for gelatin were used.

It's Equestria, not our world, I'm sure they could find something. 

(edited)

Yeah this is I think now probably the episode I think people are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too harsh on, it's just Flutters Party of One or Lesson Zero or whatever. the one where she goes nuts. Is it a bit late into the series for that sure, but in terms of humor... this was honestly one of the funniest for a long while. almost all the Alt Personality Flutters were fun and the gag with Rarity having to fire them all individually and THEN having each of them complain about each was great, my only real issue is how rushed the ending was, where Flutters just goes "yeah I was just pretending" and everyone is "okay" but that's whatever, otherwise this was in terms of pure entertainment one of the most fun episodes in a while. 

Also because somehow almost no one notices this anywhere iv been the male goth pony was an Edward Sissorhands Pony. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

Well Rare did seem to go to everyone up to and including the CMC and Maud as well. I think she just desperately needed SOMEONE.

That makes sense as well, but I wonder if she could have done a better job of training Fluttershy. 

9 hours ago, Ganondox said:

It's Equestria, not our world, I'm sure they could find something. 

Yeah, cartoon logic does dictate that even if we can't make perfect vegan jello, maybe they can. Doesn't even have to be with a plant which actually exists. 

I see comments from users saying that the customers in this episode were mean or *censored* to Fluttershy, thus, warranting rude behavior in return by her personas. Um.....are we watching the same episode? I didn't see any of the customers being mean- in fact, it was Fluttershy being horrible to the customers and insulting them nearly from the very beginning. Rarity, too. (calling them 'nasty Manehattanites')

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

That makes sense as well, but I wonder if she could have done a better job of training Fluttershy. 

Yeah, cartoon logic does dictate that even if we can't make perfect vegan jello, maybe they can. Doesn't even have to be with a plant which actually exists. 

She seemed like she had to be out the door RIGHT then. I put this down to how much trouble she was having with her ensemble. As we saw, she never did get it right, so she probably wanted as much time as she could possibly have just to give herself time to think of something.

Even then she changes her mind pretty quickly when she gets going. It's a moment I actually liked. She was about to forget about her show because she didn't want to leave Flutters to the wolves, and then that one customer put her fears to rest.

With the Mirror Pond blocked off, Rarity couldn't just make a copy of herself to serve in her stead. And she ddin't want Fluttershy to go to Canterlot to represent her while she runs the Manehattan shop. Either one of those ideas would've made a bit more sense.

A Fluttershy centered episode, it's been a while and as fave from the Mane 6 an episode already has some liking just for being that. However, I've seen pretty much every past episode of her being better and more interesting. The plot itself that was revealed in the beginning already made it a bit boring, perhaps because I am not very interested in the Boutique and the fashion things of Rarity having seen plenty of episodes about it. Similar to the previous episode of Pinkie, Fluttershy acted way unusual for her to feel like her, it was all to make this fit here.

Nice to see continuity with Shy's Sanctuary, the raccoons living in Manehathan, the assistants that Rarity has chosen to have around her and some ponies probably seen in past episodes but not something I was looking forward to see. New BG ponies must have been work to introduce since so many clients, though I remember some of the metal/emo ponies we've seen in past episodes of Rarity. But nothing that much, being mean to the animals and then just saying 'It was just acting for the customers' or something like that felt like a weak point. There was no common sense for acting like that in the first place.  I give it 4/5 at best.

(edited)

The episode definitely had a lot of entertaining moments, but even after a re-watch I still feel Fluttershy sending away her animal friends crossed the line. A shame, because I really wanted to like this episode.

Edited by JH24

Wow, this episode took me by surprise. One, we see Fluttershy is REALLY into role-playing and 2 that apparently, after all the modeling and all the fashion stuff she talks to Rarity about she still doesn't know anything about fashion? Seems a bit hard to believe, you'd expect her to know something about it by now.

On 4/8/2018 at 3:31 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

But holy crap, dude--I'm sorry, but I can't think of anything good to say about Fake.

Don't worry, your video insert of Krusty made reading your review all worth it. :lol:

On 4/8/2018 at 3:31 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

How long has it been since she achieved her series-long dream, and we still haven't seen her fly in a show?

I thought she flew in a show for Scootaloo in "Parental Glidance?" Or am I mistaken?

20 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

Overall, I agree with many of the posters here in not liking the episode, although it had a few amusing moments.

That pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. I found it loaded with problems, but the problems didn't leave me angry at one or more characters like some other episodes I haven't liked have. It's the kind of episode you watch a time or two and then shelve it away to make room for other, better episodes in the season it's a part of.

20 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

And of course, if Fluttershy's attitude is that "the couture in this shop is far too brilliant to even consider selling", then how does the boutique stay in business?

This explanation seems to be in conflict, though, with Fluttershy's saying in her apology that "I got so caught up trying to please all of your customers". Believing that the customers are unworthy to buy Rarity's outfits doesn't seem compatible with trying to please the customers. And it's hard to see how telling customers that they're not good enough for the outfits that they're considering is trying to please them, either. Or, in one case, Fluttershy is reading something behind the counter and tells a customer that "I would seriously help you right now, but, like, I don't wanna, you know?". How is doing that trying to please the customers?

This is one of the biggest bits of confusion with the logic in this episode. it was like the catalyst for Fluttershy's snootiness was created and pushed forward early in the episode's planning stages, but then in the resolution they have to get her off the hook by having her come up with a statement that tries to excuse her terrible actions to everyone - including her friends. It would have made more sense if she simply said she fell back on her S1 assertiveness training to deal with the customers and forgot about the part involving keeping them happy and dropped the part in her apology about her "only pretending" altogether. The idea that she had runaway snootiness is a plausible one, but the episode got too caught up in repetitively showcasing all these personalities of hers to explain things.

21 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

The rest of the Mane Six other than Fluttershy had reasons why they were busy and couldn't run Rarity's boutique, but they were all apparently able to drop everything and go to Manehattan to investigate Fluttershy's behavior. Did they all miraculously finish the things they were busy with before?

I guess maybe because it was an emergency they decided it was the right thing to do? I think you might be right though that a lot of their reluctance was that they just simply didn't want to be sales clerks in Rarity's shop, knowing how difficult it would be.

• Brohoof 2

25 minutes ago, Truffles said:

I thought she flew in a show for Scootaloo in "Parental Glidance?" Or am I mistaken?

We might even consider there to be two Wonderbolts performances with Rainbow Dash in that episode. The first was the "normal" performance that the CMC and Rainbow's parents attended - the one where Rainbow's parents shot off fireworks. The second was the private "apology" performance for Rainbow's parents (and probably Scootaloo too, indirectly).

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Music Chart Fan said:

We might even consider there to be two Wonderbolts performances with Rainbow Dash in that episode. The first was the "normal" performance that the CMC and Rainbow's parents attended - the one where Rainbow's parents shot off fireworks. The second was the private "apology" performance for Rainbow's parents (and probably Scootaloo too, indirectly).

And there's the one Dash messed up in Newbie Dash. Well, she only messed up the ending, but it was her first show as a Wonderbolt if I remember correctly.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

She seemed like she had to be out the door RIGHT then. I put this down to how much trouble she was having with her ensemble. As we saw, she never did get it right, so she probably wanted as much time as she could possibly have just to give herself time to think of something.

Even then she changes her mind pretty quickly when she gets going. It's a moment I actually liked. She was about to forget about her show because she didn't want to leave Flutters to the wolves, and then that one customer put her fears to rest.

Yeah, that's true. It's not at all like she just abandoned Fluttershy to fend for herself. 

• Brohoof 1

Thanks to some of the positive feedback and good discussions on this episode, my view of the episode has changed from "hate it" to "it's okay." Almost every problem I had with the episode has been explained to my satisfaction.

• Brohoof 1

I thought it was okay, but there was a little time problem.

The episode insisted too much on Fluttershy's different roles as a salespony (there were 2 or 3 scenes that were almost identical...), and not enough on how the problem was solved. All Rarity had to do was to fire the 3 fake Fluttershy, and that's it, normal Fluttershy was back.

Also, this episode was too similar to Putting Your Hoof Down.

Edited by Pastel

I actually kind of liked this episode just for the humor in it. Honestly it had some flaws, and am I the only one that thought it felt a bit rushed? The lesson came across a bit vague and befuddled to me, and it ended rather abruptly.

Besides those things, I thought it was decent. What made me enjoy it was the fashion humor and Fluttershy's acting. All the mannerisms she used were pretty funny, and she used all those words that I hear all these kids my age use, i.e. lit, woke, etc.

I especially liked Goth/Emo Flutters. Not joking. It was more cool than funny for me. The whole idea of being Goth/Emo is that it is cool to be uncool. Seriously, that eyeshadow...

Screenshot_2018-04-10-16-41-27-1.thumb.png.feb58c88a0bb76cb4bf34c30e91b00a7.png

One thing that I found interesting about her acting to get the customers to understand her and be understood: I took this as a bit of a message pointing out how sometimes it is very easy to fall into the trap of trying to fit in and act like other people for them to like you. It doesn't really work though, becuase you end up not being able to act like the people you are trying to impress or fit in with, because it isn't really you, and you end up losing yourself in the process.

So don't "Fake it 'til you make it". Be a true, real person.

Maybe that was the message of the episode? Probably. I guess it just takes some patience and pondering.

Edited by Soren Peregrine
  • Brohoof 2

What about poor Spoons Jr?

5ace0a66ccfeb_spoonsjr.png.bb9d1e5a15ff362e6b0f27b0f75a6d1c.png

I'm sure she would have done a GREAT job! :lol:

All in all I thought it was an entertaining enough episode. I didn't find Fluttershy to be cringy. (Rainbow imitating her friends in Newbie Dash was cringey in my opinion.)

I think Fluttershy just went overboard being something she's not- as usual. Also she DID NOT kick the raccoons out. she said "Get it right, or go back to the forest." They just got fed up and left to get help. I think the episode had some timing issues and the ending could have been executed better. Not one of my top favorite episodes, but it was OK.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

It was an okay episode, I guess.... Also, it's good to see Blue Bobbin', and her fellow salesponies of Rarity For You. Also, find it humorous that Rarity asked almost some of the well known ponies to watch over her shop and all declined. I laughed at the part where she also asked Vinyl to do double duty, since she part time works there at that shop as evidenced that her equipment and booth is still there. Oh, yeah! Good to see the raccoon trio again too.

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned

@Dark Qiviut

Don't have time to check if anyone else pointed this out, but this picture I found on Pinterest sums up the lesson. 

2d57a97e482d3daa430f2398d8461f29.thumb.jpg.eb9d6696a5349fd6ff8ee2364cb60edb.jpg

You said it, Thorax.

In fact, it would have been better that instead of Fluttershy, it was a shy Changeling trying to please all the clientele that he kept switching forms and becoming Lost in Character, if you can understand the trope.

Wouldn't that have made more sense for a new character going through the conflict than a mane character seemingly regressing in her character development?

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
Link
  • Brohoof 5

23 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

@Dark Qiviut

Don't have time to check if anyone else pointed this out, but this picture I found on Pinterest sums up the lesson. 

2d57a97e482d3daa430f2398d8461f29.thumb.jpg.eb9d6696a5349fd6ff8ee2364cb60edb.jpg

You said it, Thorax.

In fact, it would have been better that instead of Fluttershy, it was a shy Changeling trying to please all the clientele that he kept switching forms and becoming Lost in Character, if you can understand the trope.

Wouldn't that have made more sense for a new character going through the conflict than a mane character seemingly regressing in her character development?

Probably. Adjust the representations so they don't come across as stereotypical, make the atmosphere full of authentic characters rather than half-dimensional stereotypes, and don't abuse the animals, and you could go somewhere. Maybe adding a little dark humor or making the tone far less serious would help, too.