Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Grannies Gone Wild  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Dash: "The roller coaster's more boring than the school under EEA guidelines!" ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Granny Smith: *looses teeth from the roller coaster and needs to get new ones* ("I dislike it.")
    • Granny: "I'd rather go to the Old Gentlemen's Club." *Goldie Delicious's cats agree* ("…meh…")
    • Granny Smith: *keeps her teeth from the roller coaster and gets a golden smile as a reward* ("I like it.")
    • Dash: "This coaster's so amazing!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

On 4/15/2018 at 12:21 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Coming into the scene, the tone was very relaxed with many jokes and doesn't take itself so seriously. When you allow the script to let her hair flow free, then you can play around the boundaries and push for jokes, whether it's visual, cartoony, or vocal. Your audience becomes more receptive of jokes when there isn't much drama.

I guess this is why I felt I couldn't really get upset with this particular scene until taking the time to separate it out from the rest of the episode so it would stand as its own isolated event. The episode as a whole was very light in tone, even with the ever-present urgency over getting to the rollercoaster in time. It still causes me to raise my eyebrow a bit, because employees really shouldn't have to put up with that kind of attention from customers. But if there's a lesson to be learned about being vocal over this scene is one should be careful about picking and choosing their battles, and I agree with you that the scene in the context of the whole episode doesn't rise to the level of garnering a lot of controversy.

On 4/15/2018 at 7:49 PM, Music Chart Fan said:

First, just before everyone leaves for the trip, Applejack tells Rainbow that "I made a list to help you keep the grandmares out of trouble". But has Applejack actually chaperoned them on any of their trips before?

I kind of doubt she has. In "Viva Las Pegasus," the impression I got from her in that episode was that she had never been to that city because of its decadent nature, and Big Mac has been the one being the chaperone for the grandmas all this time. Since she has likely never done this, she must have come up with the rules on her own, perhaps due to stories told by Big Mac upon his return from previous outings with them. Or, perhaps she's been a chaperone to Granny Smith, just not for outings to Las Pegasus.

Heh, I wonder who got the better deal - RD or AJ? RD certainly did want to ride that rollercoaster, but AJ most certainly did not want to have to go to Las Pegasus. By roping RD into it (before she could find another pony to take her class) she managed to avoid a trip to a place she dislikes.

Despite this, though, Applejack put the fear into God into Rainbow, implying that straying from the rules will result not just in repercussions with Applejack herself, but would also result in everyone having to go home and Rainbow's missing her only chance to ride the Wild Blue Yonder. So I don't really blame Rainbow for being overly strict with Applejack's vaguely-written rules. And I'm glad that ultimately, the Gold Horseshoe Gals seem to understand that Rainbow's being a "wet hen" was a result of enforcing Applejack's overly restrictive rules.

This is why I put so much of the blame for what happened on Applejack. If she had been less strict - or ironically, more vague/generic about what was allowed and what wasn't - Rainbow Dash would have let the GHG's go off and do their own things. Between the initial scenes with AJ emphasizing to RD what is and isn't allowed, and the old ladies essentially rewarding RD and grumbling so noticeably about AJ, I have a hard time doing anything but mostly blame AJ for this - except for the fact that RD could have defused the situation early by telling them up front about everything.

Finally, at the very end of the episode, we see Applejack's ghostly head winking, and I can't help thinking "Screw that, this happy ending is in spite of Applejack's apparition scaring Rainbow into strictly enforcing Applejack's vaguely-written and ill-considered rules"

:lol:

It did seem like a bit of a non-sequitur, didn't it? Every other scene of "ghost AJ" was of her being critical. But here she's suddenly changed her mind and agrees with how the events at the end went down. Granted, this is all in Rainbow Dash's head, so who knows what's going on in there, lol? However, like the scene with the bellhop, this didn't bother me too much because despite the other ghost AJ's being strict, the way she talked and the way she was dispatched by RD were very funny and helped make this last one fit in with the silly nature of the episode.

One thing to think about is the difference between this illusion of AJ and the illusions Pinkie Pie dreamt up of the ReMane 5 a few episodes ago. There, they were clearly caricatures of the actual ponies due to the radically different personalities they presented. Here, the audience finds RD's version of AJ all too believable because of how she's acted in previous episodes when it came to following a strict set of rules - which is probably another reason she gets the blame by the audience for things going wrong - even if it was all RD's imagination.

• Brohoof 1

5ad57f1f7824b_MichaelScottAnnoyed.jpg.da92b30cb769a206e890a508e448f5f4.jpg

Ugh.....*sigh*...

It wasn't....bad....I mean, there was nothing angering or irritating about it.  It was just....fine....  It was just so....pointless.....to me, anyway.  *Shrug*

There's just nothing to say about, really.  Ummm....  it was nice that we got to see Rainbow in her 'bolt uniform....for a few seconds....at her friggin locker.  *SIGH*  Sure would be nice if we could see her fly with the 'bolts....y'know....actually do something with them....actually get some 'bolt action for once....after all those seasons of waiting for her to achieve her dream...all we get is occasional shots of her putting her towel away at her locker.

Of course is was Vinyl at the dance club.  Of course it was.  Of friggin' course.  *Eyeroll*  Does Vinyl just work at every single establishment in Equestria where there happens to be dance music?  Is that it?  We know that she apparently works at the club above Rarity 4 U in Manehatten, and now we know that she works in Las Pegasus, all the while living in Ponyville.  I mean, what's the deal?

I liked seeing Granny let her hair down.  It was cute seeing them all hot for the magician stallions.

The highlight was the background pony playing DDR.

So, the only thing that doesn't make sense is this: why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would Rainbow, or ANY WONDERBOLT, give one single BUCK about riding a roller coaster?!!

She does this,

Spoiler

and she thinks it's so cool to go down a little roller coaster drop?  It would be like if Superman rode on an airplane and went, "Wow!  This is great!  We're flying!!"

I tend to give an ep +1 for being Fluttershy or RD ep, as my fave from the Mane 6, this one gets +1 from that but it is also a combination that was weird and not one I would care about RD and the grannies. However, unlike the previous worst FS episode she ever had (I really was positive about every past episode of FS but last one was a mess), so unlike the previous episode this went well. Though, the plot was a bit lacking, as in nothing that much to develop storywise. It was 'a nice day at the amusement park of Las Pegasus', seeing the writer, she did nice past episodes, yes I liked her Fluttershy Leans In and Daring Done, so this episode was a fine one, nothing disastrous like the last one.

I expected to see the grannies give some of their mind to AJ but this part was not there, not that it would make it so great, just curious if that happened.

Oh and that stallion version of Trixie... wow, but it happens irl, two can look exactly the same as if you see the male and fem version of that person.

I like the provocative title, which will meaning nothing to some audiences but has some other meanings to others.

An ep teaching respecting the elder, I expected RD to refuse to be in an elderly club, 4/5 overall for being a fine ep,  but still not anything exciting.

Edited by ImpctR

This was a good Rainbow Dash focus episode. It was fun to see Las Pegasus again, I figured a thrill seeker like Rainbow Dash would end up there eventually. Unfortunately, neither she nor the Apple grannies could enjoy themselves due to AJ's strict rules. Ultimately however, Rainbow Dash learned that the grannies were mature enough to take care of themselves and they successfully experienced the rollercoaster.

I have a problem with the climax though. After Rainbow Dash hyping up the rollercoaster in the prologue, we only saw it in the pictures. I was excited to see how awesome it was in action but it was over in approximately 5 seconds. Oh well.

An entertaining story nevertheless. AJ's recurring hallucinations in Rainbow Dash's mind were actually very humorous to watch, especially "Do I even have to say anything?!" when the magic trick starts.

Edited by Sh Pie

On 2018-04-15 at 5:28 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

episode was ok, I guess. Eyerolling hard at people thinking the blue magician stallion is Trixie's dad, because shared color pallete. Name a pony who shares the same color pallete at their revealed parents. Name one.

46 minutes ago, ImpctR said:

Oh and that stallion version of Trixie... wow, but it happens irl, two can look exactly the same as if you see the male and fem version of that person.

I don't know if anyone told you this yet, if they have then sorry fore repeating thing, but a book named "The Ultimate Guide: All the Fun, Facts and Magic of My Little Pony" relisted last year has conferred that this is Trixies dad, read more here.

Edited by eventyraren
a fix
  • Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, eventyraren said:

I don't know if anyone told you this yet, if they have then sorry fore repeating thing, but a book named "The Ultimate Guide: All the Fun, Facts and Magic of My Little Pony" relisted last year has conferred that this is Trixies dad, read more here.

I don't know if the show writers have a hate boner for magicians, but they certainly couldn't resist a chance to sabotage Trixie's father. The fact that it's not just some random dude, but Trixie's father makes it even more frustrating for me.

So, the only thing that doesn't make sense is this: why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would Rainbow, or ANY WONDERBOLT, give one single BUCK about riding a roller coaster?!!

I've seen this argument being thrown around and for me it's very simple. Why the heck not?

Edited by R.D.Dash
A fix

On 4/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, BlackPony said:

Question: Why are people so offended by what AJ was doing? It was in RDs imagination, even if it was still AppleJack's character. The only real appearance she had was in the beginning, and honestly, I don't take issue with her being overprotective here; she's not completely going out of her way to protect them, like she did in SPTWOM, but she's just showing concern for them. 

Well, even interpreted charitably, her instructions are awfully vague. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:18 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

There's just nothing to say about, really.  Ummm....  it was nice that we got to see Rainbow in her 'bolt uniform....for a few seconds....at her friggin locker.  *SIGH*  Sure would be nice if we could see her fly with the 'bolts....y'know....actually do something with them....actually get some 'bolt action for once....after all those seasons of waiting for her to achieve her dream...all we get is occasional shots of her putting her towel away at her locker.

I'm not terribly bothered by this, but it is somewhat ironic that one of the few times we've seen Rainbow fly with the Wonderbolts was in season 5's "Rarity Investigates!," which was before she got the full-fledged membership. 

On 4/16/2018 at 11:18 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

So, the only thing that doesn't make sense is this: why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would Rainbow, or ANY WONDERBOLT, give one single BUCK about riding a roller coaster?!!

She does this,

Reveal hidden contents

and she thinks it's so cool to go down a little roller coaster drop?  It would be like if Superman rode on an airplane and went, "Wow!  This is great!  We're flying!!"

Because it's an exciting experience which doesn't require her to exert herself? The implication is that the rollercoaster is especially intense

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 5

I actually thought the title to this episode was pretty funny. I didn't expect it to actually be good. Turns out it actually was.

I always like it when they show other characters that have had roles in the past, but I was hardly prepared for my favorite character outside of the mane 6, Soarin, to get as much screen time as he did, and guess what? He said things too!!! Just that alone made the episode for me. I thought Matt Hill was never coming back to voice him. But to my great pleasure and satisfaction, I was wrong.

Also, I can already see a ton of freeze frames that SoarinDash shippers are going to exploit. 

Screenshot_2018-04-18-17-01-42.thumb.png.bfe473f6961c75f98e204b2422885f95.png

Screenshot_2018-04-18-17-01-55.thumb.png.f6d9eef4042c24994cb0aa3efc527ce0.pngScreenshot_2018-04-18-17-02-40.thumb.png.59e11cd0b468c59e50aa5f11c9372462.pngScreenshot_2018-04-18-17-02-54.thumb.png.aeb53f0df11f28ec1cae2719d81a5ba4.png

Seriously, every frame is prime shipping material.

Okay, okay, enough geeking out over side characters... Actually maybe not. There were a lot of 'easter eggs' in this episode. The air control pony at the resort was an alicorn, and is it just me, or did I see a Sims gem next to RD at one point? Things like this are really clever in my opinion, because it keeps you engaged and aware of all the little details. I loved the way the story went along. I think it is a bit weird how pegasus ponies (pegasi right? That's how you spell it right?) consider riding a rollercoaster so cool when they can fly... Whatever. That's probably one of the only things I can complain about. And then, that blue show pony looked a lot like Trixie. Could he be her dad? That would be interesting.

The way that RD interacted and communicated with the 'grannies' when they were trying to figure out what the problem was actually shows how much she has grown as a character. She doesn't seem to be quite as arrogant and unfeeling as she used to be. She even apologized for something that technically wasn't even her fault. The grannies were also nice to her and understanding when they figured out that AJ was the one that told her to hover over them during the whole trip. That to me is good because it is showing the viewers how to properly resolve a misunderstanding, and I am big on learning the lessons that the show has to offer. RD even said that they were actually pretty cool on the flight back, even though they were grannies. I'm a bit irritated honestly with AJ though. I mean, she sort of ruined the trip for Rainbow, and the grannies didn't even need to do all the special stuff she said. Maybe she's just got this weird 'mother hen' thing when it comes to her family.

I think the lesson here was a very good one. Actually there are several points to it I think. Don't judge people based on what others tell you about them, especially older people. The way old people are treated these days is despicable. They would love someone to talk to and hang out with. Who knows? Maybe they are actually pretty chill.

Overall I think this was a very good episode. I would give it an 8/10.

Edited by Soren Peregrine
  • Brohoof 3

I liked this episode a lot, there were a lot of funny moments with Dash and the old grannies, the best was probably the line where Granny Smith asked Apple Sauce if she was sure her name wasn't "Apple Saucy" :lol:

The only real problem I had with the episode was why Dash only seemed to asked Applejack to cover her classes, unlike in the episode just before this one, Rarity asked everyone, but in this episode, Dash asked too few ponies, so that kinda bothered me, but the rest of the episode was great! We finally got to see Trixie's dad too, Jackpot, now we finally know why Trixie loves magic so much, her dad is also a magician! :pinkie:  

Image result for mlp jackpot 

A great and powerful duo!

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, ultrairongorilla said:

Did you guys catch this easter egg?

Hide contents

bgd7fqdly0tt8x6wjjnm.png.29da11769ad72dec49186738716701e1.png

Pretty sure the entire fandom did. That said, as much as i liked this episode, how did it get past the censors? This reference to Rick and Morty, a reference to Breaking Bad in the same scene, Apple Sauce flirting with the employees (combined with the "Apple Saucy" line)

On 4/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, Justin_Case001 said:

It may be hard for you to make sense of that, but it might help if I pointed out that airplanes go much, much faster than rollercoasters, and I don't think you'd describe anything other than the initial take-off to be particularly thrilling, and there are several rollercoasters that go under 60mph - which is how fast you'll be driving along a freeway. It's not the speed or the fact that it's in the air that makes a rollercoaster exciting, it's sensations that you uniquely get in a rollercoaster that you can't get anywhere else. They're mechanically designed to simulate a certain response in your body that you'd probably be unable to replicate in a safe way if you attempted it on your own. Rollercoasters aren't designed to simulate the sensation of flying at all, in fact, with the sole exception of the flying roller coaster, which is only one particular model.

Seriously, do some research into rollercoasters, it's interesting stuff.

Though, I find it interesting, the trains seem to have over-the-shoulder restraints, right? From what I've heard from coaster enthusiasts, the ones that have lap restraints are more intense, especially since they tend to get better airtime. I wonder if lap restraints are possible in Equestria, and if so, what coasters have them?

• Brohoof 1

Are people seriously complaining about RD being excited over a roller coaster? Who the fuck cares? It's a fucking roller coaster and people love roller coasters. It doesn't need anymore justification than that

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Nyactis Mewcis Catlum said:

Though, I find it interesting, the trains seem to have over-the-shoulder restraints, right? From what I've heard from coaster enthusiasts, the ones that have lap restraints are more intense, especially since they tend to get better airtime. I wonder if lap restraints are possible in Equestria, and if so, what coasters have them?

I would definitely prefer lap restraints when possible, both because it's more thrilling, and because I'm a pretty tall guy, so over-the-shoulder restraints are more uncomfortable for me (although I can usually deal with it in order to get to ride!). I actually bruised my ears once when I was younger from banging the sides of my head too hard against the over-the-shoulder restraints on a roller coaster.

As I understand it, though, almost any roller coaster on which the riders will be upside-down at any point is going to have over-the-shoulder restraints, and we see in one of the pictures of Rainbow and the Gold Horseshoe Gals riding the Wild Blue Yonder that it does take the riders upside-down during the ride.

1 hour ago, Music Chart Fan said:

I would definitely prefer lap restraints when possible, both because it's more thrilling, and because I'm a pretty tall guy, so over-the-shoulder restraints are more uncomfortable for me (although I can usually deal with it in order to get to ride!). I actually bruised my ears once when I was younger from banging the sides of my head too hard against the over-the-shoulder restraints on a roller coaster.

Oh, yeah, that sucks. I heard that's a really common issue especially with Vekoma SLCs, with the whole head-banging thing. You might wanna look out for B&M coasters instead, since those are generally thought of as smooth rides.

1 hour ago, Music Chart Fan said:

As I understand it, though, almost any roller coaster on which the riders will be upside-down at any point is going to have over-the-shoulder restraints, and we see in one of the pictures of Rainbow and the Gold Horseshoe Gals riding the Wild Blue Yonder that it does take the riders upside-down during the ride.

Actually, there are coasters with inversions with lap restraints! One example is Time Traveler, which not only has inversions but its cars spin. You did say "almost any", and it's true most of them do have OTS restraints but there are quite a few that don't.

I'm more curious that rollercoasters could even have a lap restraint given the ponies' anatomy.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Whomps said:

Are people seriously complaining about RD being excited over a roller coaster? Who the fuck cares? It's a fucking roller coaster and people love roller coasters. It doesn't need anymore justification than that

Some people actually will, but you are correct any normal person wouldn't be bothered about that.

On 4/20/2018 at 3:26 AM, ultrairongorilla said:

As rare as it is Idc about 'Rick and Morty' so I kind of missed that. But apparently Equestria sees the constellations of the northern hemisphere since Orion is there. Time to get an episode with that pony lol

• Brohoof 1

• This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
On 15/4/2018 at 5:05 AM, Starry Snow said:

THE SOARINDASH SCENE AT THE BEGINNING!!!:wub::love:

they are best friends, the hug on the shoulder is friendship. It's the same as quibble pants with her. Don't take the scene seriously, that's why it's about friendship

Edited by Van123

2 hours ago, Van123 said:

they are best friends, the hug on the shoulder is friendship. It's the same as quibble pants with her. Don't take the scene seriously, that's why it's about friendship

dude holy fuck we get it already. If you don't like the ship that's fine but you say the same shit all the damn time, and are just trying to rain on other's parades. Just let people enjoy the damn ship and whatever they perceive as ship teasing

Edited by Whomps

On 4/19/2018 at 6:56 PM, Nyactis Mewcis Catlum said:

It may be hard for you to make sense of that, but it might help if I pointed out that airplanes go much, much faster than rollercoasters, and I don't think you'd describe anything other than the initial take-off to be particularly thrilling, and there are several rollercoasters that go under 60mph - which is how fast you'll be driving along a freeway. It's not the speed or the fact that it's in the air that makes a rollercoaster exciting, it's sensations that you uniquely get in a rollercoaster that you can't get anywhere else. They're mechanically designed to simulate a certain response in your body that you'd probably be unable to replicate in a safe way if you attempted it on your own. Rollercoasters aren't designed to simulate the sensation of flying at all, in fact, with the sole exception of the flying roller coaster, which is only one particular model.

Seriously, do some research into rollercoasters, it's interesting stuff.

I've been a roller coaster buff and enthusiast my whole life.  Trust me, I know all the things.  Of course a roller coaster is different than flying in a plane or driving on a freeway, but what Rainbow Dash does when she flies is obviously more thrilling and intense than any roller coaster, as she doesn't just cruise in a straight line.  I mean, the things she does are absolutely insane!

On 4/20/2018 at 2:06 AM, R.D.Dash said:

Some people actually will, but you are correct any normal person wouldn't be bothered about that.

Since when are we normal people?  :P  Kidding, kidding.  Seriously, though, you're right, but I've never been a normal person.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:26 PM, ultrairongorilla said:

Reveal hidden contents

bgd7fqdly0tt8x6wjjnm.png.29da11769ad72dec49186738716701e1.png

Oh.  MYGAWD.  No, I did NOT catch this!  I'm so unobservant when watching this show!  So much goes over my head.  Dude, this is amazing.  I can die happy.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:28 PM, King of Canterlot said:

Image result for mlp jackpot 

A great and powerful duo!

Mind blown TWICE!  DAMN.  I didn't catch this either!  Am I blind or what?!  This is amazing!

• Brohoof 4

Moral of hte story: blame Applejack. All serious now it was fun episdoe ot watch. Love how they give Granny such quirks like that.

On 4/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, ggg-2 said:

Pretty sure the entire fandom did. That said, as much as i liked this episode, how did it get past the censors? This reference to Rick and Morty, a reference to Breaking Bad in the same scene, Apple Sauce flirting with the employees (combined with the "Apple Saucy" line)

Both of which I never watched so I didn't even care or notice