Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Grannies Gone Wild  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Dash: "The roller coaster's more boring than the school under EEA guidelines!" ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Granny Smith: *looses teeth from the roller coaster and needs to get new ones* ("I dislike it.")
    • Granny: "I'd rather go to the Old Gentlemen's Club." *Goldie Delicious's cats agree* ("…meh…")
    • Granny Smith: *keeps her teeth from the roller coaster and gets a golden smile as a reward* ("I like it.")
    • Dash: "This coaster's so amazing!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

On 4/17/2018 at 2:19 AM, BlackPony said:

Question: Why are people so offended by what AJ was doing? It was in RDs imagination, even if it was still AppleJack's character. The only real appearance she had was in the beginning, and honestly, I don't take issue with her being overprotective here; she's not completely going out of her way to protect them, like she did in SPTWOM, but she's just showing concern for them. 

Here is EXACTLY what AJ said to RD or RD quoting from the list of rules given. Either she was super clear with no room for interpretation, or massively vague.

1.) Make sure they get their naps - How many? When?

2.) Eat only soft foods - Clear

3.) Careful with dancing - So what dancing would be considered not careful?

4.) Don't get too excited - That is so amazingly vague it makes me angry.

5.) And don't let them out of your sight, ever. - Pretty darn clear

6.) "If one of them over does it, it's bye bye Las Pegasus for the lot of ya" - Why? I mean if one of them actually got hurt, sure, but does AJ have no faith that these adult women are too incompetent/fragile to not watch after themselves even a little? These gals go every single year. Perhaps Big Mac doesn't treat them with the same fragility.

AJ is being overprotective. There is no other way to interpret eating only soft foods, and never letting them out of your sight.

The only person of any age who needs that rule is a toddler or lower or an elderly with physical/mental issues who shouldn't really be going to a rowdy place like Las Pegasus in the first place.
I'd swear that AJ was messing with RD this episode and in doing so, ruining it for everyone or maybe just plain not thinking.

On 4/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, Truffles said:

I kind of doubt she has. In "Viva Las Pegasus," the impression I got from her in that episode was that she had never been to that city because of its decadent nature, and Big Mac has been the one being the chaperone for the grandmas all this time. Since she has likely never done this, she must have come up with the rules on her own, perhaps due to stories told by Big Mac upon his return from previous outings with them. Or, perhaps she's been a chaperone to Granny Smith, just not for outings to Las Pegasus.

Heh, I wonder who got the better deal - RD or AJ? RD certainly did want to ride that rollercoaster, but AJ most certainly did not want to have to go to Las Pegasus. By roping RD into it (before she could find another pony to take her class) she managed to avoid a trip to a place she dislikes.

That is actually a fabulous point and now leads me to think AJ just plain wasn't thinking about it. If this was the case, it would of been smarter of her to tell RD to talk to Big Mac instead of her about how to handle chaperoning the grandmares. Or heck, even just ask the grandmares themselves on how she can help make the trip fun and safe for everyone. They aren't senile (at least not canonically) a bit hard of hearing and forgetful, but still in vacation taking condition.

I think RD did. She got to find out that the grandmares are actually fun to hang out with and is invited probably on every yearly trip they make. She got to go first in line on the roller coaster and the grandmares also completely forgave and understood why she was as she was due to AJ's guidance.
RD should actually tell AJ that her rules were silly and almost ruined the entire trip for everyone and to next time ask for advice to someone who actually has had experience with it all.
I know that AJ probably didn't mean for it to happen and would likely be quite sorry about it all, but she should be informed of what her assumptions almost caused.

On 4/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, GrimGrimoire said:

No, Rainbow Dash did. Applejack was not even on the trip. She just gave RD the rules, which when thinking on it do make some sense... how RD interpreted them is a whole other can of worms. Sure they were a bit heavy handed (and they missed a great opportunity to show the capabilities of the elderly), but that does not make AJ wrong for wanting them to be careful. She was not trying to be malicious, but trying to look out for their welfare.

Where the episode mis-stepped IMO is the grannies just sort of let it go themselves, they did not try to show RD (honestly Applejack would have been better in this episode for this particular message actually) what they are capable of and really promote that message. The episode could have had a message that the elderly are not as helpless as you might presume, while acknowledging that those who are trying to look out for them are doing it because they care, but really was just about RD wanting to ride a ride and the hi-jinks that follow when attempting to do so.

Half of her rules were really clear with no room for any kind of interpretation.
I never thought she was trying to be malicious. At most I thought maybe she was having a bit of fun with RD or maybe just wasn't thinking. Another user whom I quoted pointed out as well that AJ never actually chaperoned the grandmares as she hates Las Pegasus. She likely heard stories from Big Mac and made her rules based on those. Considering her overprotective tendencies, she probably heard a few stories that made her worried, even though she didn't need to be.

I do think the gals should of said something the minute RD just flat out stole their food and replaced it with boring soup on a vacation. I know I would of had I been in their position.Would of been the last straw from ruining their fun prior in my eyes.

That I agree with. The episode could of done a FAR better job had the grans said something earlier, then shown RD not only the perks of their club (Getting to cut in line for the ride she wanted) but also of shown say picture flash backs or snipets of them eating buffet, throwing horseshoes, seeing the magic show etc, all with RD wearing the new jacket they gave her. This would of ended in a really fun time for all, as well as shown that you can have a blast with people, even when they are old.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
56 minutes ago, Sinvanor said:

1.) Make sure they get their naps - How many? When?

Number and time don't matter. If the grannies start feeling too tired, then that means it's time for them to nap so they rejuvenate for later. That doesn't mean forcing them to nap when they're not exhausted so Dash can sneak off to the coaster.

2.) Eat only soft foods - Clear

Soft food =/= soup. There's flexibility in what they can eat. And, yes, nachos, too.

3.) Careful with dancing - So what dancing would be considered not careful?

Quite a bit. Cartwheeling, splits, backflips, aggressive twirls and spins that can get you dizzy if you don't know what you're doing, holding onto a partner as she balances in the air, dancing on a chair or table, somersaulting, etc.

Secondly, dancing is physically demanding, and dancers dance several hours a day to prepare for them. There's a high injury risk when dancing, with ankles sprains being the most common traumatic injury. None of the grannies dance close to as much as a professional dancer, but their age requires care, nonetheless.

4.) Don't get too excited - That is so amazingly vague it makes me angry.

Not getting too excited =/= not allowing them to have any level of fun. They're perfectly okay to concentrate, eat beyond the boring, dance, and take part in a magic show with a 100% safety record.

6.) "If one of them over does it, it's bye bye Las Pegasus for the lot of ya" - Why? I mean if one of them actually got hurt, sure, but does AJ have no faith that these adult women are too incompetent/fragile to not watch after themselves even a little? These gals go every single year. Perhaps Big Mac doesn't treat them with the same fragility.

AJ's ultimatum is completely justified. The grannies' health is the chaperone's responsibility. Big Mac's gone with them every year previously, so he knows how to interpret the rules to maintain their health and not bore the trip. Dash tried (and failed) to manipulate the guidelines so she can get on the roller coaster, leading her to be extra cautious and make the rules much more rigid than what Big Mac and AJ wanted.

I already wrote this before, and I'll write it again — AJ's rules are common sense guidelines. Let them have fun, but exercise your judgment along the way.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

On 5/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Not getting too excited =/= not allowing them to have any level of fun. They're perfectly okay to concentrate, eat beyond the boring, dance, and take part in a magic show with a 100% safety record.

It's still really vague. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, here to comment on aanother video and yeah this one wan't too bad.  Few notes I had while watching it.

First off: Oh snap... the currency exchange with the flirting granny with the bel-hop pony was hilarious.  Should have accepted it with his hoof ;)

Is it just me, or of those two magicians, one makes me thing of a male Trixy?  Even a trixy like escape! :D

Yeah, didn't want to revise what I wrote but eh.  Again interesting and then the whole 'next year' thing which in this series, you never know when  year has taken place.  Seriously.

I just watched it and I was amazed.

There's things I like about this episode and things I REALLY like about this episode. But I might as well talk about the latter because it's enough for me to say this saved my perception that the season was going to go in the trash bin, after watching "The Maud Couple" and especially after the disaster known as "Fake It 'Til You Make It."

I thought the humor was exceptionally well done, especially the line where they talk about riding the rollercoaster on mornings they don't remember. They really are wild grannies aren't they? Makes it sound like they got a few too many appletinis before going on there. I also really thought the way Applesauce flirted with half of the stallions at the hotel was really funny.

I really like how they treated Rainbow Dash. She selfishly neglects her duties at the academy to ride a roller coaster. She actually gets PUNISHED for that, by having to take these old ladies along and following ALL of Applejack's little rules. But after suffering through that for most of the day, she gets rewarded for having to watch over them by getting to do what she wanted to do in the first place. I am wowed by that, because RD's ego problem often goes unpunished, and here it's actually different.

I give this one a 9.5/10. Really well done on this one, and a huge turnaround.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Barik said:

I really like how they treated Rainbow Dash. She selfishly neglects her duties at the academy to ride a roller coaster. She actually gets PUNISHED for that, by having to take these old ladies along and following ALL of Applejack's little rules. But after suffering through that for most of the day, she gets rewarded for having to watch over them by getting to do what she wanted to do in the first place. I am wowed by that, because RD's ego problem often goes unpunished, and here it's actually different.

That's quite opposite of what usually happens. Too often, Dash episodes beat her down so excessively in order to teach her a lesson that the tone can be really unpleasant. GGW differentiates things because after committing that big mistake, she tries to do the right thing and goes overboard to make sure she rightfully earns that right to go on that coaster. Her chaperoning was excessive, but understandable, making it very difficult not to root for her. Dash was sympathetic here, and the episode never made her out to be a terrible person.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Rainbow Dash wants to ride on the Wild Blue Yonder roller caster at Las Pegasus, so that ride was thrilling for her and the grannies! What an excitement for that ride! :love: Applejack is telling the truth for Rainbow Dash in a vision when she's in Las Pegasus going for that ride with the grannies, so that truth worked well at the ending part before heading back to Ponyville. :smug:

(edited)

Felt sorry for Dash the whole time :U

I really liked Cherry Berry's occupation as a balloonist :nom: .

This was cute :nom: 

large.png

EDIT: Apparently she's always done this, like throughout most seasons, I guess I never noticed until now or took special attention to it :wacko: .

Edited by WWolf

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:18 PM, Barik said:

I am wowed by that, because RD's ego problem often goes unpunished, and here it's actually different.

Dude they've dedicated entire fucking episodes to punishing her for her ego

Several times

• Brohoof 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, Whomps said:

Dude they've dedicated entire fucking episodes to punishing her for her ego

Several times

...? I don't know what you're talking about. This is literally the only time I've seen it punished in the last two or three seasons...

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

You know one of these day's I want to see Dash getting dressed or undressed for her job with Wonderbolts just to figure out how they fit into those skintight one pieces.

I rather enjoyed this episode especially the cats lots of little details with them like the Siamese one trying desperately to get away then just slumping there with a depressed look on its face at being forced to hear the tree story again.

With regards to Applejack's instructions I think that was just a mix of her knowing Dash is a very excitable tomboy and her knowing her Grandma's group but not making the connection between Dash taking her instructions too far. Most of them weren't actually the thing Dash does.

1) Make sure they get their naps. Dash tried to have them take a nap as soon as they arrived so she could ride the coster rather than when they were showing they were actually tired.

2) Eat only soft foods. This one's an iffy one I think one of the grandmares had just gums but granny smith could probably have handled the nachos.

3) Careful when dancing. They're old ponies and we know Granny Smith has a saggy hip so they could really hurt themselves here but Dash stopped them as soon as they started rather than knowing where the line is between Dancing with care and not dancing at all. The instruction wasn't no dancing it was just to be careful.

4) Don't get too excited. Could be read in a few way's either don't let them get overexcited which really requires a knowledge of them or it could have been meant for Dash not to get too excited and go overboard.

5) Don't let them out of your site EVER. Yet Applejack still say's Dash will find time to ride the coaster and may have a good time with the grannies implying she expected them to be on the coaster with Dash to me.

Dash was adorable here so many expressions frustrated, sad, sad with sim (I missed that one till it was pointed out here wouldn't mind playing a my little pony sims), happy, sheepish when she realized she'd interrupted Lyra and Bonbon's photos and her use of her wings to hold the scroll and direct the granny's was adorable. Nice she was inducted into the club though I wonder why there's no other golden horsehoe girls between the granny's and her.

EDIT
As for the title Granny's gone wild I couldn't help but think of an old blue seed Omake I wont subject others here too.

Edited by Senko

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I really enjoyed this episode. This episode actually inspired me to watch The Golden Girls and now that I understand the references, this episode is even better. The comedy is pretty strong in this episode. The best part was Apple Sauce flirting with the staff.

I don't think Applejack's instructions were too unreasonable, though the  "not letting the grannies out of your sight" rule was a bit unfair.

I'd say the biggest issue is that at the end, Rainbow becomes a part of the Golden Horseshoe Gals while all we saw was her messing things up. The only thing we saw them do together was go on the roller coaster. This ending would have felt more earned if there was a montage of Rainbow and the grannies having fun together aside from just the roller coaster.

Score: 9/10

Edited by bigbertha

17 minutes ago, bigbertha said:

I really enjoyed this episode. This episode actually inspired me to watch The Golden Girls and now that I understand the references, this episode is even better. The comedy is pretty strong in this episode with the grannies trying to have fun. The best part was Blanche (Apple Sauce) flirting with the staff.

I don't think Applejack's instructions were too unreasonable, though the  "not letting the grannies out of your sight" rule was a bit unfair.

I'd say the biggest issue is that at the end, Rainbow becomes a part of the Golden Horseshoe Gals while all we saw was her messing things up. The only thing we saw them do together was go on the roller coaster. This ending would have felt more earned if there was a montage of Rainbow and the grannies having fun together aside from just the roller coaster.

Score: 9/10

I suspect Granny Smith at least has a fairly good idea of what Rainbow Dash is normally like and the discovery her grandfilly was the one who gave Dash her rules combined with the fact Dash was giving up what she wanted to do to try and follow them played a part in their decision. I do agree a montage of them having fun after the reveal ending in the roller coaster would have been nice though.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to say the moral of this episode is don't be judgmental, but none of this was RD's fault...it was AJ's. AJ's assumptions almost ruined RD's opportunity to ride the coaster. I'm not sure why the end of the episode made it seem like RD was the one who needed to learn a lesson, given that this would've gone very differently had AJ not been overprotective.

• 1 month later...

I loved this episode especially the interaction between Rainbow Dash and the grannies, I enjoyed seeing Rainbow try so hard to keep the grannies out of danger only to ruin their fun. The bit with Trixie's dad and his partner was fantastic and the whole episode gave me vibes of The Hangover movie. The moral was heartwarming and man can Granny Smith really dance :o 10/10.

• 1 month later...

I like this episode for two reasons because I got to see Trixie's dad and his boyfriend and hehe I'm a svengallop fanboy and I'm glad I got to see him again for a few seconds I hope that happens more  (or gets another episode in season 9) and the rest of the episode was meh nothing stood out about it for me

This episode doesn't hold up as well on rewatch. While there are many funny moments, a lot of it is just the same thing of the Grannies doing something and Rainbow trying to stop them on top of a majority of Rainbow's dialogue being about how amazing the Wild Blue Yonder is. It gets repetitive. 

Score: 6/10

• 4 weeks later...

This episode was just ordinary. Not so funny, nor too bad. I felt bad for the grannies most of the time, but I don't think RD is the one to blame. While I do think Applejack's the one responsible for this, I kind of understand her as well. She just has a tendency to be overprotective. There has been an episode about this with Applebloom, where she couldn't let her be in the house all alone. Being overprotective sure is a problem, but AJ acts that way out of a good cause, so I don't think it's something to hate her on.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Do the grannies really need to be babysat like this? They seem to imply that Applejack is overreacting. Maybe Rainbow should have just asked them about it; surely they know their own limitations. Can't imagine they would want to hurt themselves. 

I liked this one a bit less this time around, and that has to do with Rainbow's behaviour here. That she's overprotective is the point, but it doesn't seem like she really cares; every time she remembers Applejack's list, she also remembers that she might miss the roller coaster; she never puts any original thought into what might be best for the grannies. Even at the end, she says she's worried about missing the roller coaster but has little to say about the grannies' health. It makes her seem selfish, which worked fine in the earlier seasons but seems increasingly inappropriate as she's given more responsibilities. I find her hard to sympathise with or relate to in this episode, and she gets none of the good jokes. She's a drag, which is the point, but it's not much fun to watch. The grannies are still awesome, though; they should have had the spotlight. 

Also, they're wrong: the "fun one" is Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash is unreliable in that respect. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

AJ's ultimatum is completely justified. The grannies' health is the chaperone's responsibility. Big Mac's gone with them every year previously, so he knows how to interpret the rules to maintain their health and not bore the trip. Dash tried (and failed) to manipulate the guidelines so she can get on the roller coaster, leading her to be extra cautious and make the rules much more rigid than what Big Mac and AJ wanted.

I already wrote this before, and I'll write it again — AJ's rules are common sense guidelines. Let them have fun, but exercise your judgment along the way.

Perhaps common sense for someone who knows the grannies (or has experience working with elderly people in general). For one such as Rainbow Dash, not so much. How exactly was she supposed to know how excited is "too excited", or what kinds of dancing to watch out for? Plus, "Don't let them out of your sight, ever" (especially with the forceful tone in which AJ said it) is kind of hard to interpret in any way other than "these old farts actually ARE so feeble that they need to be treated like toddlers". The episode seemed to convey the idea that Rainbow Dash was 100% at fault for spoiling the grannies' fun, but Applejack was at least as much to blame.

There's also the issue of Rainbow Dash caring more for riding the roller coaster than for her duties towards the grannies. In and of itself, it was in fact selfish of her. There's just one small problem there: the roller coaster was the whole freaking reason Rainbow Dash wanted to go to Las Pegasus to begin with. Applejack was fully aware of that, but she demanded something in return for covering for Rainbow that would have rendered her trip completely pointless (if not for that VIP pass). Perhaps Rainbow should have asked around to find a different substitute instead of agreeing to AJ's terms and then looking for an opportunity to sneak away from her end of the bargain, but she wasn't the only selfish one here.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Do the grannies really need to be babysat like this? They seem to imply that Applejack is overreacting. Maybe Rainbow should have just asked them about it; surely they know their own limitations. Can't imagine they would want to hurt themselves. 

Yeah, it wouldn't be the first plot that could have been resolved with proper communication. And as others have said, anyone who's too senile to know their own limitations shouldn't be going anywhere near a place like Las Pegasus.

3 minutes ago, HedonismBot said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be the first plot that could have been resolved with proper communication. And as others have said, anyone who's too senile to know their own limitations shouldn't be going anywhere near a place like Las Pegasus.

Thing is they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. There was even a comic addressing this