Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Surf and/or Turf  

93 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Taz-pony: "TAZ…PONY…HATE…WATER!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Sweetie Belle: *looks up synonyms for "boring" to describe Seaquestria* (I dislike it!)
    • Terramar: *sleeps through hippogriff festival* (…meh…)
    • Twilight: *excitedly joins in the hippogriff festival and seapony culture…for research purposes* (I like it!)
    • Sweetie Belle: "Mount Aris is so BEAUTIFUL!" (I LOVE IT! <3)

Note #1: This is one of the episodes leaked a few weeks ago. If you watched the episode already, keep all discussion under the spoiler tag until after it finishes officially airing. (Hit the eye icon to trigger it and type within it.) DO NOT LINK OR POST THE LEAKED MATERIAL!

Note #2: Over the last month-plus, some content originally leaked (e.g., the Student Six's names, episode titles, some summaries) have been officially revealed, and chances are more will, too. But as always, please keep all leaked content not officially revealed yet — and/or if you're unsure if you're revealing too much — under the "spoiler" tag.

Title: Surf and/or Turf

Air Date (U.S./Disc. Family): April 21 at 11:30am

Writer: Brian Hohlfeld

Summary: "With family members on Mount Aris and Sea Pony relatives in Seaquestria, the Cutie Mark Crusaders try to help a young Hippogriff figure out where he belongs."

SendVid: https://sendvid.com/sxwiqb9x

• Brohoof 5

• The title was changed to S08:E06 - Surf and/or Turf
Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

Two of the leaked episodes revealed the alleged writer(s). This was one of them. OP edited (with writer(s) spoiler'd) accordingly.

I haven't seen any of the leaks, but I will say that I really enjoy the idea of integrating details from the recent movie into the new season. Very smart move on their part and a delight to see.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

This was a good episode

Spoiler

I'm all for continuity, and I'm glad the movie's locations and species made the jump to television

More CMC is never a bad thing and it's kinda heartbreaking to see Scootaloo enjoying swimming since it had a lot of similarities with flying

Oh, and the hippogriffs are cute too - can't wait to see Silver Quill react to this (Especially since these 'griffs look nothing like he does)

Good to know that there's at least some gems in S8

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

It's really heartbreaking that Scootaloo only found freedom in swimming. We all know why she liked being underwater the most...

I'm going to watch the official release too, even though this is one of the episodes I spoiled myself on. It's an amazing episode already, I can't imagine how great it will be once it's been cleaned up and had sound effects and atmospheric music added.

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Nyactis Mewcis Catlum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's really heartbreaking that Scootaloo only found freedom in swimming. We all know why she liked being underwater the most...

I'm going to watch the official release too, even though this is one of the episodes I spoiled myself on. It's an amazing episode already, I can't imagine how great it will be once it's been cleaned up and had sound effects and atmospheric music added.

I've actually been curious to watch one of the unfinished episodes after seeing the proper one. I may not like that the episode was posted, but I'm legit curious as to the creation.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:25 PM, The Nth Doctor said:
Spoiler

More CMC is never a bad thing and it's kinda heartbreaking to see Scootaloo enjoying swimming since it had a lot of similarities with flying

I never saw some of the earlier CMC episodes, but I STILL think that Scootaloo needs to eat some of the things she hates, just to have proper wing growth. I mean, it's not like her parents are actually Earth Ponies, or even Unicorns, or are TOO busy to teach her how to fly and develop her wings better. I mean, Sonic eats Chili Dogs all the time, but if you DON'T have the metabolism rate HE'S got, you're gonna be as fat as that Egg-belly slow-mo, Dr. Robotnik.

The message conveyed in AOSTH's Too Tall Tails says it best: you need a proper diet to keep yourself in check.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

Having already seen the leaked episode. Most of my posts will be already be prewritten. Still I will add more once I heard a finished video with its missing music.

With that said, my thoughts on the Opening scene is: Well, So now the CMC are being summoned by the Map! That’s great. I wonder who else will be sent on a Friendship Mission this season?

Just now, ggg-2 said:

Is it true this episode references divorce?

It's NOT the focus of the episode and doesn't DIRECTLY say it.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018

Well, that explains why they're all wearing those necklaces now. And I here I thought they were just for decoration.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

“The new Mount Aris Station” said the train conductor. Looks like the Map isn’t the only thing that expanded this season. The Train destinations have expanded too. Cool. I hope that the Train might one day reached out close to the Changeling Kingdom.

Before the Season 8 premiere, I thought this would be the episode that sums the events of the movie as Apple Bloom explains to the CMC what she heard from Applejack in a way an audience who never saw the movie would understand.

Our new Hippogriff character is named Terramar (I’m assuming that’s how it’s spelled). Actually, the Terra part comes from a phrase, “Terra Firma”, that means dry land and “Mar” can be short for “Maria” which can mean “Sea” in some languages. Makes sense for the character since he says he kinda goes back and forth between land and sea.

Did you see their flag? It had a Hippogriff on one side and a sea pony on the other side. Nice to show balance between the 2 forms. Plus Terramar’s father getting excited to see Twilight Sparkle is a nice moment. I like leaders that aren’t so uptight and strict all the time and instead show an outgoing personality like him.

Hee, Hee. The CMC found the problem and cheered, leaving Terramar confused as we end Act 1.