Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Surf and/or Turf  

93 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Taz-pony: "TAZ…PONY…HATE…WATER!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Sweetie Belle: *looks up synonyms for "boring" to describe Seaquestria* (I dislike it!)
    • Terramar: *sleeps through hippogriff festival* (…meh…)
    • Twilight: *excitedly joins in the hippogriff festival and seapony culture…for research purposes* (I like it!)
    • Sweetie Belle: "Mount Aris is so BEAUTIFUL!" (I LOVE IT! <3)

Twilight revealed the father’s name near the start of Act 2: Skybeak.

Terramar’s mother, Oceanflow is just as excited to meet Twilight as the father is.

It seems that no Seapony or Hippogriff (spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie)

Spoiler

holds it against Twilight that the last time she was in Seaquestria, she tried to steal the Transformation Pearl out of desperation!

How heartwarming!

1 minute ago, ggg-2 said:

So, if Terramar is Silverstream's brother, I wonder which one of their parents is Novo's sibling?

1 minute ago, PoisonClaw said:

Question: Does Queen Novo stay on Mount Arios, in Seaquestria or does she travel between the two?

I doubt we're going to get a straight answer on these two questions.

Bubbling through a seashell: “Everything sounds funny down here!” had me rolling over the floor. Or should I say, rolling over the sea……floor.

• Brohoof 3

• This topic was pinned and featured

The synopsis of this episode sounded really interesting, and made me curious to see what would happen.  After hearing good things about it, I wanted to see this episode even more.

After seeing it I can say that Surf and or Turf was a pretty good episode.

I enjoyed the song, and look forward to listening to it again, seeing how the seapony and hippogriff culture has changed since the movie was interesting, Silverstream's brother makes for a nice new character, and I though his conflict was pretty interesting. Also Twilight was adorable.

I think this might be my favorite of the season so far.

• Brohoof 3

27 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

It's NOT the focus of the episode and doesn't DIRECTLY say it.

Well I mean neither of things answer his question as he asked if it referenced divorce, which it does.

Okay, the one downside to this episode to me so far is more a downside if you’re familiar with the fanmade My Little Disney PMV Daga Yemar made a few years ago (up through Season 4) that had Sweetie Belle as Ariel’s daughter Melody singing about being happy in the sea in Little Mermaid 2. She got the part because Rarity and her goal of going to Canterlot got to play Ariel back during the run of Season 2. 

I was hoping Sweetie would have loved the sea as much as she did in the fanmade video. Turns out Canon Sweetie Belle didn’t like it after all. Disappointing. Still, this is minor compared to everything else I enjoy about the episode so far.

Since the original Melody character was voiced by none other than Twilight Sparkle’s Voice Actor Tara Strong, Daga Yemar made this alterative video as a bonus with Twilight as Melody and Celestia as Ariel

4 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Well I mean neither of things answer his question as he asked if it referenced divorce, which it does.

I wanted to make one thing quite clear:Everyone I talked to who saw the leaked version claimed the episode was about Divorce. But Really. That’s NOT the focus. It’s about Terramar feeling he has to choose between 2 worlds. Besides, I wanted to empathize that unlike most divorced couples I’ve seen in media, the parents love each other. It’s just one decided to live on land and the other under the sea. Besides, the parents never said they were divorced.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018

Well, a few weeks ago, @Dark Qiviut promised a very good episode and i must say this was certainly a very good episode. :D

First off, i gotta give a little nitpick. Like i said in the season opener, this is another episode that tells things about the movie, which you wouldn't know if you haven't seen it, which could be a problem for some. But since i saw it and most of the people on the forum saw it, it's not really a problem. :P

This was an episode with a message that is deeper then some people might think and mostly those who have parents that live seperate from each other and i gotta tip my hat to the riders for tackling this sort of issue.

Twilight was a very hilarious side character in this episode, as she showed her adorkable attitude and trying her best to understand the hippogriffponies.

I also liked the CMC in the episode. Some would say that their arguing is a bit childish and inconsiderate, but let's be honest they are kids after all. We all love that one place we find awesome, while someone else might not.

But i freaking love terramar, His conflict is that he likes both places but dosen't want to dissapoint both his parents by staying at one permanently and you see that conflict growing throughout the episode. People who also where in this situation can relate to him very well.

Overall, best episode of the season so far, i give it a big thumbs up. :)

• Brohoof 6

Just now, SwitchGuy2018 said:

I wanted to make one thing quite clear:

Everyone I talked to who saw the leaked version claimed the episode was about Divorce. But Really. That’s NOT the focus. It’s about Terramar feeling he has to choose between 2 worlds. Besides, unlike most divorced couples I’ve seen in media, the parents love each other. It’s just one decided to live on land and the other under the sea. Besides, the parents never said they were divorced. I wanted to empathize that!

It's not as easy as Daxter's choices: "Stay fuzzy, save the world... Choices." In all realism, Daxter NEVER had a choice, because Light Eco wouldn't even turn Dax back into his human self, because the Dark Eco blessed him into becoming a Precursor, an OTTSEL!

Wow, that was a pretty sweet and adorable episode. We got insight into both the Hippogriffs and Seaponies culture and how they've adapted after the Storm King's defeat, more lore tying together the movie and the show, plenty of adorkable Twilight moments, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle being adorable and a possible subtext about divorce and figuring out where you belong. Though, we never did get an answer on which of Terramar's parents, Skybeak or Oceanflow, are related to Queen Novo. Not that it matters, but it would have been interesting to know.  

• Brohoof 4

Twilight’s Advice: “Maybe Terramar’s making it harder than it has to be.”
Me: Boy, I know how that feels. My folks always tell me I do the same thing

The blueish-green Hippogriff giving Upsy-daisies to that little purple seapony foal in the background is ADORABLE!

It’s so refreshing to see something in fictional media where the Parents allow their children to choose. I usually see the Parents and children resist each other. It’s like what Sebastian “always” says at the end of The Little Mermaid: “Children got to be free to lead their own lives.”

In the silliness of my Head Fanon, I could relate to Terramar going back and forth between Worlds as I’m usually switching between being William the Human here in the Real World and Will Guide the Unicorn in Equestria.

In all seriousness, this episode was another for me to personally relate to. Like Terramar, I tend to make things harder than it needs to be. 

Overall, this episode was most excellent in my book.

3 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

But i freaking love terramar, His conflict is that he likes both places but dosen't want to dissapoint both his parents by staying at one permanently and you see that conflict growing throughout the episode. People who also where in this situation can relate to him very well.

Overall, best episode of the season so far, i give it a big thumbs up. :)

I know the feeling.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

In the silliness of my Head Fanon, I could relate to Terramar going back and forth between Worlds as I’m usually switching between being William the Human here in the Real World and Will Guide the Unicorn in Equestria.

No wonder you chose "SwitchGuy2018" as your username. It actually fits.

Just now, YoshiAngemon said:

No wonder you chose "SwitchGuy2018" as your username. It actually fits.

Actually I chose it because I'm now playing the Nintendo Switch after years of playing the Nintendo Wii, but yeah, that fits too!

Just now, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Actually I chose it because I'm now playing the Nintendo Switch after years of playing the Nintendo Wii, but yeah, that fits too!

I don't even have a Switch. I could've, but I had to make do with a PS4 and an SNES Classic Edition. I needed another 500GB to upgrade the system to properly handle any more Final Fantasy titles.

A very solid, heart warming episode.

The subtext of divorce can be interpreted here, but it felt more like life within a family that's been separated due to work or commitments, or living in a family that's mixed race, mixed faith or multi-national. A child torn between two worlds, their home and their heritage. A very real problem, with a very real solution. It doesn't matter. Being free to choose and honor both, while being loved and trusted by those most important in your life can turn a difficult experience into a fulfilling one. 

Oh and I wonder if Twilight won the screeching contest. 

• Brohoof 5

11 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

I wanted to make one thing quite clear:Everyone I talked to who saw the leaked version claimed the episode was about Divorce. But Really. That’s NOT the focus. It’s about Terramar feeling he has to choose between 2 worlds. Besides, I wanted to empathize that unlike most divorced couples I’ve seen in media, the parents love each other. It’s just one decided to live on land and the other under the sea. Besides, the parents never said they were divorced.

You missed the point though, all he asked was if the episode referenced divorce, simply referenced, which it did. The episode is not about divorce no. But the implication is there.

However this seems like a pointless debate.

Oh, as for the episode, I loved it, easily the best so far of the single episodes this season.

Can't really decide on the poll. Sort of a cross between "meh" and "I like it!" A very good continuity to the series, but I feel like they could have made it more interesting.

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

A very solid, heart warming episode.

The subtext of divorce can be interpreted here, but it felt more like life within a family that's been separated due to work or commitments, or living in a family that's mixed race, mixed faith or multi-national. A child torn between two worlds, their home and their heritage. A very real problem, with a very real solution. It doesn't matter. Being free to choose and honor both, while being loved and trusted by those most important in your life can turn a difficult experience into a fulfilling one. 

Oh and I wonder if Twilight won the screeching contest. 

I never thought of it that deeply. Some great way to look at the episode. Thank you. :) 

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

You missed the point though, all he asked was if the episode referenced divorce, simply referenced, which it did. The episode is not about divorce no. But the implication is there.

However this seems like a pointless debate.

Oh, as for the episode, I loved it, easily the best so far of the single episodes this season.

Look I get that this episode references and implicates divorce.

But it sounds like you're missing the point of MY post. I was just so sick of people saying "this episode's about divorce". Can you at least understand that I was trying to remind people that it wasn't the focus?

This is why talking on the internet with no voice tone, facial expression and other body language is a major drawback. People are misunderstanding my intentions in the posts.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
  • Brohoof 2

Just finished watching the episode and I really liked it a lot. I thought it was cool how the Crusaders were called by the map. It makes me wonder if there will be even more different characters being called by the map. I also thought the map would be not used as much since we got a school now, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I like how we get to see Mount Aris and Seaquestria again. I like how Applebloom was explaining some of the events from the movie, but it still feels as if others may not understand if they haven't seen the movie. I thought it was crazy and somewhat funny how the first act ended and went to commercial. When the Crusaders cheered about Terramar's problem, I was thinking, "Wow. What a way to go to a commercial break." I like how we get to experience both the hippogriff's and the sea ponies. Terramar was a pretty interesting character and Twilight was pretty funny in the episode. It was surprising how the Crusaders were arguing here and there when it came to choosing where to live. I could be wrong, but it seems like the Crusader's never argue about anything to a degree of what we've seen in the episode. I guess it shows how they may be a team, but have some bumps in the road from time to time. I really could relate to Terramar in this episode. I've had times where I had to make a decision and I wouldn't know what was the right choice. Sometimes I made one choice, but only to go back on the decision and make the other choice. I become so indecisive, that I usually go by what my friend's say because I don't want to be singled out, or to be picked on. Over time, while I can still be indecisive, I've slowly started to choose what's right to me in my heart. There are times where I feel doubtful of my decisions. However, with some advice and some help from my friends, I can look past the doubt and stay true to myself. I like how the Crusaders were able to help Terramar on his indecisiveness and difficult decision. I also think it was interesting how the map called the Crusader's for the episode. Usually, they help other fillies discover their marks and what their destinies are all about. While a hippogriff and sea pony don't have a cutie mark, the way they live is also somewhat like their destiny. I thought it was cool how the CMC helped Terramar decide on his destiny and way to live as both a hippogriff and sea pony. All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. I hope we get to see Mount Aris and Seaquestria again sometime this season. :) 

• Brohoof 3

@cmarston1 @YoshiAngemon @Buttonmash1973 Poll is up! :D

Terramar: Like I said, Mount Aris is one great place to live. That's why Silverstream and my dad and some of my cousins came back here. *stares at water* But Seaquestria is another great place to live. That's where my mom is.

Sweetie Belle: Ohhhhh. I…I didn't know that.

Terramar: So, no matter where I am, I feel like I let someone down.

Emphasis mine.

A few decades ago, Mister Rogers discussed divorce from two kids' perspectives. They felt that their parents' divorce was their own fault. You can find that clip on YT, if it's still up. And feeling guilty for their divorce is common among children.

That feeling of self-guilt is similar to that from Terramar, hence the heavy divorce implications. He feels guilty having to choose where to live, because to him, he lets part of his family down. As if it's he feels partly at fault they separated. The more you think about it, the sadder this exchange is.

• Brohoof 9

14 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Look I get that this episode references and implicates divorce.

But it sounds like you're missing the point of MY post. I was just so sick of people saying "this episode's about divorce". Can you at least understand that I was trying to remind people that it wasn't the focus?

This is why talking on the internet with no voice tone, facial expression and other body language is a major drawback. People are misunderstanding my intentions in the posts.

Well it is more so the fact that you didn't answer his question, you simply said the episode wasn't about divorce and didn't answer whether or not it referenced it, I think most people who watch the episode realize that it isn't an episode centered on divorce.

Okay; best episode of season 8 by FAR. :D

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Well it is more so the fact that you didn't answer his question, you simply said the episode wasn't about divorce and didn't answer whether or not it referenced it, I think most people who watch the episode realize that it isn't an episode centered on divorce.

Fair enough