Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Surf and/or Turf  

93 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Taz-pony: "TAZ…PONY…HATE…WATER!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Sweetie Belle: *looks up synonyms for "boring" to describe Seaquestria* (I dislike it!)
    • Terramar: *sleeps through hippogriff festival* (…meh…)
    • Twilight: *excitedly joins in the hippogriff festival and seapony culture…for research purposes* (I like it!)
    • Sweetie Belle: "Mount Aris is so BEAUTIFUL!" (I LOVE IT! <3)

1 hour ago, Music Chart Fan said:

Those were the only times I've ever flown on airplanes in my life, and were some of the very few times that I've ever stayed in a hotel, had to find transportation to and from the airport, had to find places to eat downtown without a car, etc.

As it turns out, I just flew back from a business trip this past Sunday (and managed to catch this flu I had so carefully avoid all season which is why I have been mostly quiet until today =P ) and I too always have lots of anxiety over the details you mention like ground transportation. That's why I always prefer to drive myself to have my own car available, but driving 2600+ miles cross-country is too much for me. (And impractical.)

I wrote my review for this episode from my hotel room on my little laptop. I was glad the hotel had decent internet. =)

• Brohoof 2

On 4/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, PoisonClaw said:

Question: Does Queen Novo stay on Mount Arios, in Seaquestria or does she travel between the two?

I think she goes back and forth like Terramar and Silverstream, to keep both places up and running. But this is my theory.

Question: If Silverstream and Terramar is Queen Novo's niece and nephew, then which side are they from? From Skybeak or OceanFlow?

Well, I'm late to the party as usual...Overall I enjoyed this episode. It's not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it. I'm glad to see the show tackling dilemmas like Silver Streak's and the episode taught a good lesson. While divorce is not mentioned, it's apparent through the way things are. The parents are living in separate homes and the kid has to go back and forth between them. He feels like he has to pick one over the other, and I'm sure a lot of kids going through that same situation have felt that way. The conversation between Silver Streak and his parents at the end was heartwarming and held a good message.

Now onto the CMC. I enjoyed Scootalo and Sweetie Belle's excitement when it came to the locations, especially Scootalo's. It warmed my heart and broke it at the same time. As for Scootalo's and Sweetie Belle's fight, however... I get that they're still young but the whole thing seemed over the top and forced. I can't see either of them refusing to talk to each other over a simple disagreement. Season 1-3 CMC maybe, but I can't really see them being so childish now with how they've matured over the years. Luckily this didn't last too long so it didn't detract from the episode too much. I was also glad to see Twilight, despite her originally coming there to do research, seems pretty relaxed and is having fun. Seeing as how she used to be, a bit uptight and not really into partying I'm glad to see she's become more relaxed and enjoyed her time there.

Also, while I'm glad you don't need to have seen the movie to understand what's going on in the episode, I am not a big fan of shows, movies, books, etc. leaning on other media. I'm fine with them taking inspiration from other media related to it, but they have to build up those aspects in the show instead of leaning on the movie. I would have liked to see an introduction to the new species in the show instead of it leaning on knowledge from the movie and kind of just throwing them in at the start of the season with not much explanation or build up for these races, they were just suddenly a part of the universe now. Though I am grateful you didn't need movie knowledge to understand this episode, I still wish this wasn't an aspect in the show now. I love these new races and everything, but again, I'd want a build up and good introduction instead of just throwing them into the show.

Anyways, overall the episode gets a B. It wasn't the best but it was enjoyable overall and had a good and important message.

Edited by Kreamer
Added a bit (part about Twilight) and fixed grammar errors.

• This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
On 4/21/2018 at 6:55 PM, Truffles said:

I'm sure Twilight worked it all out between herself and the hippogriffs/seaponies after the events of the movie. Even the end of the movie seemed to imply there were no hard feelings. Also her status as a princess no doubt raises her popularity among these species just like it does for ponies.

All the same, did anyone else besides me notice how nervous Twilight became and how quickly she changed the subject and left when Terramar explained the necklaces, especially the part about the pearl? lol. While some of that was because of how much of a hurry she was in to do her research, I still got this vibe she didn't want to stick around to hear questions from the CMC or Terramar along the lines of, "Hey, didn't you try to steal that?" XD   (Actually, I wish the episode had done that joke in retrospect.)

Anyway, I loved this episode. I liked how they handled the divorce subtext without directly referencing it, and I liked how it tied the problem Terramar and the CMC were having with the decision of where to live to Twilight being forced to make the same decision over which event she should attend. This shows kids that even adults like Twilight can get caught in the middle of a conflict between two groups/parents who live separately.

I am a bit confused over the whole "are they divorced" thing. @Dark Qiviut states they in fact are divorced, but I didn't get that impression. Divorce is a legal matter, and I don't see why they would need to get a legalized divorce just because one of them wanted to return to Mt. Aris and the other didn't. But maybe there's been info from DHX that says they are divorced? Were there scenes I missed where one or both of them had taken new partners? I dunno. I can see them as separated, but only for the reasons of them preferring a different lifestyle and not because they hate each other. In fact, they seem downright chummy with one another. It was interesting they left that particular revelation hanging for most of the episode before finally having them meet.

To expand on this a bit, I actually thought the task for the CMC was going to be to solve the problem of the two groups living apart in general, and not just for Terramar specifically. I suppose there is a bit of a hint by the groups coming together to celebrate at the very end that they may have indeed done some of that work. In that way, this episode feels a bit like "Over a Barrel," though there was a lot more animosity there due to the sharing of resources vs. this just being a difference of wanting to live a particular lifestyle.

I like the name "Terramar" - it's literally the combination of the words for "land" and "sea" and ties in with the conflict perfectly.

It seems young characters have a knack for creating friendship problems instead of fixing them. The CMC can join Spike in making the problem worse before having it fixed. And like with Spike having to do nothing because Ember and Thorax did it for him, I have to agree as some have said that it feels like Twilight really solved the problem with her suggestion than the CMC themselves. I was a bit surprised the CMC's relationship broke down so quickly with Apple Bloom stuck in the middle, (which was another nod to the troubles with divorce and kids) but I can see how passionately Sweetie and Scoots felt about each place. It kind of reminds me of some of the debates over MLP episodes, though, lol.

I guess like @AlexanderThrondI am also a little confused over why Terramar felt like he had to choose between his two parents. His existing plan of going between the two of them seemed to be working and in the end the solution was to simply change nothing. Unlike some families, it's not like his parents live great distances apart, and switching between the two forms doesn't exact any penalty on his health. Maybe if the episode spent some time showing us why this wasn't working it would have made more sense, but then that wouldn't have been a solution, only a compromise to a bad situation and a real downer.

But the episode gets points for not forcing the parents to make a sacrifice and decide they just need to tough it out and live together. That's not realistic in real life so taking a more realistic approach was welcome. (Though I can see why some who watch the show for escape might not like this.)

The episode also gets big points for giddy twirling Sweetie Belle and overjoyed swimming Scootaloo. I could feel their happiness for finding a place they felt they could really belong. Barring some other change in these characters, I think we've seen where these two will go to live after they decide to retire, lol.

I liked the song a lot. Hopefully we'll get more good songs this season after a bit of a downtrend last season (Pear Butter's and Rumble's songs being the only two I found outstanding.)

Also, Sweetie Belle forgot to mention one big negative about living in Seaquestria: You have to swim around in your own toilet! XD (Like, where do they go to the bathroom, anyway? And it's not like it will ever stay in one place after they do it!)

I have to wonder what "salmon juice" is. Supposedly, the hippogriffs love to eat the stuff and implies they are omnivores. It's not that big of a deal, I suppose, since Fluttershy had no problems killing fish for her ferret friends; but it is interesting that we got a mention of a food that seems to have a meat component to it.

So, if I limit my rankings to just the episodes that have officially aired, this one is the best of them all - so far. In coming weeks it will get pushed down to at least 3rd place since the two I did watch I liked better. =)

Yeah you make a good point about Twilight and the Hippogriffs in regards to the pearl. Yes that would have been such a hilarious joke especially after bringing up Starlight's past in a similar way in previous episodes LOL. Seeing Twilight squirm a bit would have cracked me up LOL.

(edited)

Problably thinking WAY to deep but

So is my thought it being about a kid chosing between  divorced parents a stretch? despite the parents being married and not split.

Aslo Sweeti is a pill..like shesh

Edited by BlinkZ

24 minutes ago, Buttonmash1973 said:

My favorite os S8 so far

It *is* good, and Scoot's reaction to "flying" underwater is awesome - but I think the debut of the "young 6" still has a slight edge :)

On 4/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, ggg-2 said:

Is it true this episode references divorce?

I don't think OceanFlow and Skybeak are divorce, they just live in different places. OceanFlow prefers Seaquestria and Skybeak prefers Mount Aris. 

Once again I am late to the party... Ugh! I was really busy and it took me a long time to find a non-leaked version of this episode.

This episode was good. Very good. It seemed to me that there was a very deep issue being presented in this episode, possibly about a kid who's parents are separated and him trying to figure his life out with that weight on his shoulders. Now this may or may not have been intentional by the creators, but it certainly came across that way for me. If it was intentional... Well MLP:FiM, you sure know how not only to help relieve stress with a fun show, but also how to address and deal with issues that cause us stress. Then again Terramar's parents could just prefer living in one place more than another. I guess it is up to your interpretation.

However, I think the main part of the story is just about Terramar figuring out where he wants to live, and trying to fit in. I think this is presented very well in his mannerisms and facial expressions. Sometimes I think you can see him trying to hide his frustration and pain, and at other times he just flat out shows it. Emotions are hard to portray and get right and this episode did a very good job of that.

I can just think of all the merchandising though that is going to happen now with the CMC's turning into seaponies...

This was a very good worldbuilding episode actually if you think about it. We got to see where the seaponies and the hippogriffs lived (Mount Aris and Seaquestria, respectively) and some of their culture/customs. This is something that I think is one of the best aspects of this show. Worldbuilding is missing in a lot of shows these days, and when you see it happen, that is quality entertainment.

I think the lesson here was this: You don't always have to choose one way or the other about things. You can sometimes choose both and still be happy.

In conclusion, this episode had a good storyline, beautiful song, excellent worldbuilding, and a great lesson. I'd say this one deserves an 8.5/10. Definitely one of the best episodes in Season 8 so far in many people's opinion, and while it may not be my favorite, I think it is the best episode yet, excluding the premiere.

While I acknowledge that part of the moral of this episode is about respecting each other's opinions, I simply must agree with Sweetie Belle 100%. Her excited reaction to seeing Harmonizing Heights for the first time was adorable, BTW. My main problem with Seaquestria is just how wet it is. I'm a landlubber, y'know? Also, I've been to beaches and waterfronts on grade school field trips in the past and always hated the smell of seasalt. I notice there is a beach on Mount Aris and I hate sand, it gets everywhere, very annoying.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I appreciate the expository dialog throughout the episode to keep my knowledge of hippogriff lore and culture updated. Actually a pretty enjoyable CMC focus episode overall, it's always nice seeing new settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, this episode was interesting.  I enjoyed seeing the 2D renditions of the place they went to in the movie, though I have to wonder... do they really have enough of those shards for every Hipogrif?  I mean feels like a lot.

And I still remember the sea ponies from that old MLP movie I seen way back when.  "Escape to Crystal Castle" always wondered when they'd make an appearance in the FIM series.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

The Cutie Mark Crusaders' got their cutie marks flashing being called by the map for the very first time in this episode for the friendship problem to solve! Their cutie map mission is at Mount Aris. Mount Aris is also a beautiful place for Sweetie Belle too. Also, this is the very first time that ponies travel underwater upon transformation from pony to mermaid just like in My Little Pony: The Movie 2017 film when they traveled the first time there, which that is an adventure for them! After the Hippogriffs and the seaponies come together for a picnic at the beach which the young hippogriff is back where he belongs, Terramar is joyful thanks to their help and the Cutie Mark Crusaders' cutie marks flashes again and I call it "Mission Success!" for a job well done! :)

Edited by Allen

(edited)

Decent episode, I think most of us liked it since we got to see some hippogriffs in action both on land and water :P . 

Although I did wonder if they were originally (before the end of the film) underwater, why did that one hippogriff's name happen to be "Sky Beak" (or whatever it was)? Did they change their names accordingly to their environments :wacko: ?

Cherry Berryyyyyyyyyy :o :ooh: :ooh: :ooh: 

And lol, "Terramar", meaning land and sea :wacko: .

Edited by WWolf

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So many cute and adorable moments yet again my take away is one throw away line.

"To the refreshment tent for a stein of SALMON JUICE."

Did they just serve Twilight Salmon blood as that's the only thing I can think of you juicing out of a fish.

EDIT

Forgot to mention but did anyone else find it odd Scootaloo said she was happy with just her pony parts when a pegasus's wings are part bird?

Edited by Senko

Were they divorced? were they just choosing to live in different places?  the fact the charecter was not sure where to live, in the water or on land. he loved both parents and both places. what was even The point of the CMC. all they did was argue which was better while Apple Bloom watched the two fight. Twilight tagging along was just creepy, like she was a school warden, obsessed in her school running perfect and had the personally make sure it was flawless. the paper did not get soggy because it was magic i guess. However the charecter having the problem solved the problem without any help from the CMC. I find it pathetic that their cutie mark glowed, especially when the charceter chosen both places to go to without the CMC Doing  anything helpful. Teaching don't do anything useful, let others figure it out on their own, and get all the credit for a resolution they had nothing to do with. the story was weak, confusing, distracted by twilight obsessed over perfection.  They could had done a Way better job in the point they were trying to get across. Sadly Hasbro is Just Getting Lazy. this show is so dull. Just my 2 cents. 

1 minute ago, RaphLuna said:

Were they divorced? were they just choosing to live in different places?  the fact the charecter was not sure where to live, in the water or on land. he loved both parents and both places. what was even The point of the CMC. all they did was argue which was better while Apple Bloom watched the two fight. Twilight tagging along was just creepy, like she was a school warden, obsessed in her school running perfect and had the personally make sure it was flawless. the paper did not get soggy because it was magic i guess. However the charecter having the problem solved the problem without any help from the CMC. I find it pathetic that their cutie mark glowed, especially when the charceter chosen both places to go to without the CMC Doing  anything helpful. Teaching don't do anything useful, let others figure it out on their own, and get all the credit for a resolution they had nothing to do with. the story was weak, confusing, distracted by twilight obsessed over perfection.  They could had done a Way better job in the point they were trying to get across. Sadly Hasbro is Just Getting Lazy. this show is so dull. Just my 2 cents. 

Considering how happy the two were walking together at the end I think they were just interested in different things but were at worst seperated not divorced which is why they didn't realize their son felt compelled to choose one or the other instead of just continuing to spend time with both. Twilght was rather obviously using them as an excuse to have a vacation/research project of her own in my opinion.

from reading what others are saying, it sounds like Twilight did all the work, and the CMC got the credit. end result the message, let someone else do all the work, while you do nothing but argue with each other, to busy in your rant with each other to really help. and get all the benefits and rewards for someone else doing all the work. sound like the Liberals and the NWO Adjenda Sneaking in their teachings to the young minds of children. Sad yet so true. It was obvious at the start of the problem, that he would chose to live in both places.