Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Horse Play  

106 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Twilight: *screams* "I can't take it anymore! It was supposed to be a simple play! Just one simple play! And then everything goes wrong, from the stage to the props, right down to the WORST LEAD ACTRESS IN EQUESTRIAAAA!!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Twilight *strains smile*: "YyyyyyEEEEAAAH!!" Spike *to On Stage*: "Now THAT'S the best acting we've seen all day." (I dislike it!)
    • Audience oohs and ahhs as the sun is raised during the play; Luna, on the other hand, grumbles. (…meh…)
    • On Stage: "My goodness! I had no idea this production would have such elaborate special effects!" (I like it!)
    • Celestia prances around the renovated Throne Room like a little filly. (I LOVE IT! <3)

I just rewatched this episode, and ho-LY ...CRAP, I just noticed something awesome that totally slipped by me the first....uh... 6 times or so...  :laugh:

Check...this...out:

Audience.thumb.jpg.f44a973a7e7495e4fa87b4ba812c1731.jpg

Right?  :pinkie:  You see that?!

1426369703_LunaPissed.jpg.6529d0ccd417cb8a5e2d817a565bcd45.jpg

BOOM!  Right there!  LOL!  Luna be pissed that Tia raised the sun like that!  :laugh:

She be like:

843761016_LunaPissed2.jpg.d95afbd686b4ee7a35a2c4862db77b2e.jpg

And you just know she also be pissed that her beautiful night got cut short.

NMM.thumb.jpg.fb253ab6d5b48cc15c61c1517aba2b8e.jpg

• Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...

Celestia is too exaggerated for me. Everything she says feels so forced just like A Royal Problem. Her acting is so bad that it honestly makes me think she's faking the entire time. Celestia has never been shown to be this unaware and downright stupid. I get that the writers want to give personality to Celestia, but instead of doing whatever they want, maybe they should work within the boundaries they've set. Celestia has been shown to have more going on than what most ponies see even since season 1, but never before has it been so exaggerated to the point where I can barely recognize this as Celestia.

Aside from her, the episode is solid. There are a lot of great jokes (especially with Pinkie) and while Twilight's conflict is not particularly interesting by this point in the series, the moral is a really good one. 

It's a shame Celestia is in so much of the episode.

Score: 6/10

• 1 month later...

Her bad delivery is a reference to classical Latin oratory, I think, which emphasizes long and short vowel sounds at the expense of sounding like the language as it was actually spoken. 'In Equestria' in classical Latin is identical in spelling and meaning to the English, but the 'a' vowel on the end of Equestria would be long, because of the ablative case.

In this episode Celestia actually hints at stepping down from her job at the end. I think this was a hint that we all missed. If she's actually that awful of an actor/liar, then why was her claim that she'd be giving up her crown so convincing? Also the part where Starlight says that Twilight is not a 'princess princess': this episode definitely was written after the premise of season 9 was created, because there is a lot of foreshadowing.

We also see Celestia in the most vulnerable yet. She was actually clearly offended, embarrassed, and upset to learn she was a bad actor, and wished they had told her sooner and spared her the embarrassment. Now that we know that she intended to quit soon, it makes sense that she's trying to enjoy her last days.

An episode that expends celestias character? impossible! Celestia really love to troll others, doesn't she? The comedy in this episode was top notch and the best aspect of the episode. Celestia was a bit too silly but she just had fun, so it doesnt bother me. I wish luna had a bigger role here but I guess it was celestias turn to shine. My favorite moment was trixies racket and the fact she soled them in a back alley in midnight was hilarious, and twilights reaction to it was great too. The talk between celestia and twilight was a bit disappointing for me and a little off putting, otherwise this episode was amazing. 9\10.  The fact that fluttershy played celestia is a nice touch and a huge bonus is that we learned how long ago it was when celestia started raising the sun, and we learned that most of her reign she spent without luna, it's harsh... 

• 3 months later...

It's the little things that make this great.

It's the way Twilight raises her eyebrow while thanking Starlight for saying she's not a "princess" princess. 

It's the way Rarity freaks out while Twilight is still explaining that Celestia will act in the play. 

It's the way Spike makes the best of having tomatoes thrown at him. 

But it's also the big things. Until season 7, we had only ever seen Celestia from below - someone to be admired, but not someone we could ever relate to. That's how Twilight viewed her too, and what we learn here is that Celestia always assumed their relationship was closer. I mean, since Twilight is a princess now, why wouldn't it be? But we've never seen them hang out. So it makes sense that Twilight sees her as less a friend than a hero, someone who deserves to be paid back for all she has done. Celestia thinks it's a favour, but to Twilight it's more than that. The choreography of the climax, where the two ascend the clouds together, is beautiful not only because it's so precisely choreographed, but also because it reflects Twilight starting to recognize how Celestia wants to be treated. Their relationship is special in ways that Twilight's other friendships aren't, which is why we see it on the cloud tops. But as they sit aside each other on the highest cloud, they can finally see eye to eye. 

I complain that the show isn't this good more often, but it's kind of a miracle that it has ever been this good, let alone as many times as it has. Even as this show disappoints, it's the fact that it can still offer up stuff like this that keeps me coming back. This show is capable of great things even if it's not great as a whole. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I love this episode. It was hilarious, awkward at moments. More episodes should be written like this. The female actor pony was so cute, and the marshmallow sun was so fucking hilarious. I loved seeing Celestia act like that. Twilight was so cute in this. Needs more Maud tho. 10/10.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Out of all of the episodes from Season 8, this is the one that I actually do enjoyed the most. Mostly because of Celesita's hammy acting. It's very entertaining. Plus, I really like how Twilight talking to Celestia after the conflict because it adds that extra layer of her character development.

Also, Flutterlestia returns and she's adorable as always.

• 1 month later...

This Episode was kinda dumb.

Why didnt they use their magic? You have an all powerful and overpowered Starlight Glimmer right there, even more powerful than your beloved main character Twilight Sparkle yet they never get the Idea to save the stage and costumes and scenery with magic? Not even Rarity? All the problems would have been easily solved if you would just use your magic! There was no need for panic!

Even the Problem with Celestia can be solved super easy, just let the Changeling change into Celestia, since she also can imitate voices perfectly.

Just use magic for the stage and let the changeling girl play Celestia, all problems solved in no time!

This was so stupid. And just for a lesson that the Episode itself admits we already had.

I also dont believe that the so called " Show " would be that positively recieved. Wasnt one of the Problems that Rainbowdash told everyone that Celestia would play in it? I guess that problem somehow just fixed itself by pretending the play was planned as a joke right from the start and i guess everybody is just totally fine with being manipulated and lied too.

This Episode is just dumb. The worst one i have seen so far from Season 8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yada yada, more commentary on old episodes...

- Best line of the season (so far) goes to Glim Glam.  While speaking to Twilight, she says, "you're not a PRINCESS princess," which illustrates that massive gap in experience and royal stature between Princess Nerd and the fucking Sun Goddess.  Everyone knows this, but it takes someone like Glim Glam to actually say it.

- Terrifying canon: Before Celestia, every single sunrise required the permanent sacrifice of 5 unicorn magicians.  I mean...Jesus FUCK!  Was their planet tidal locked to the sun or something?  Weird physics aside, I think that bit of lore originally came from the comics back in like 2015, but I'm not sure.  Cool to see it acknowledged in the show, though.  That alone makes Celestia deserving of the worship she's received for the past 1,111 years.

- When it comes to dealing with the reality that Celestia is a bad actress, I'm glad AJ immediately stepped forward (as the Element of Honesty) and said, "You need to tell her the truth."  And, since the Common Sense Switch is clearly NOT in the Twilight position today, Twilight discards this advice.

The rest of the episode was a bit cringey, but I suppose it's important for Twilight to be reminded that Celestia isn't perfect.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its a good episode, but in this season the same be honest, oh wait no don't tell your friends that they are bad at something to protect their precious feeling. Perhaps not a bad messege that being blunt can be good.

What really infuriates me is the ridiculous stupidity in this episode, and other episodes in this Season. Sure Celestia is not the best actress, but the share thickness to not get the first thing of acting. Making her seem incredible uncreative.