Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo Direct March 8th

Luigi

Considering how secretive they've been within the last couple of years, there's no telling what they are going to reveal. I'm personally hoping for some information on the third and currently final DLC pack for Fire Emblem Warriors.

• Brohoof 1

I've got my ticket ready for the Disappointment Train. They are putting this Direct in the same length as their E3 Direct and I know it will not live up to that at all. Above all else, I actually want the Virtual Console to launch. Anything else will probably be announced later like Animal Crossing. I'd say there is a *slight* chance on a name for Pokemon on Switch and beyond that, I have no clue. My expectations are very low. 

• Brohoof 2

Supposedly there are rumors that this is when the Crash N-Sane trilogy Switch port announcement is supposed to take place...IIRC. We'll see...

• Brohoof 1

I have no expectations for this Direct, to be honest. The big two titles for me are Pokemon Switch and an Animal Crossing sequel. Given that Pokemon games have historically gotten their own Directs for the big reveals in recent generations, and that Animal Crossing games are always revealed at E3, I don't expect to see either here at all.

I just hope that there is NO Super Smash Bros 4 port. That game should be left in the last generation. We need a new more inspired Super Smash Bros title. It is another franchise in need of that like Mario and Zelda was.

• Brohoof 2

I expected disappointment and that's what I got, so good on you Nintendo for staying consistent. The 3DS announcements were somehow the best part of this showing. The Switch games were, once again, mostly just ports. Anything new looked kinda bad, like No More Heroes which looked terrible. Nothing else interested me in the slightest. Undertale? Meh. South Park? Ugh. They did end it with the Smash Bros. announcement, but we all knew that was happening eventually.

We still have no word on the virtual console or any substantial additions to the Switch itself through updates either, so, yay. I don't know. I really wasn't fond of this showing. It actually was worse than I expected and they obviously expect Smash to be the big surprise announcement that makes it all worthwhile. It really isn't.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I knew Smash was coming, it was just a matter of when. Whether it be a new game or port(chances are it's the latter), I'm always in for Smash considering it's my favorite Nintendo franchise, especially if it's gonna have new characters(Inklings are welcome). I liked most of the stuff they had though, Will definitely double dip on Crash, looking forward to No More Heroes and Octopath Traveler, and I like seeing a New WarioWare and happy to see Luigi's Mansion come back again

• Brohoof 4

It wasn't the best Nintendo Direct on account of there being so many ports/remakes announced for both the Switch and the 3DS. I know Nintendo is currently riding on a high note given the success of the Switch but relying heavily on ports/remakes is not the best way to go. They need original games alongside sequels to their mainstay franchises to keep people interested otherwise what they've done will ultimately backfire on them.

Unlike most, the Smash announcement didn't impress me as it was expected a mile away. Nintendo have become so easy to predict these days that it's impossible not to be truly surprised unless they were trying. I suspect that this Smash Bros. will be a port of the Wii U version as the chances of them releasing a new game in the series this year without any information is highly unlikely--doable but very difficult. Basically, the direct was disappointing to everyone until that final announcement. I also suspect Nintendo had no confidence with what they had and used their Smash Bros. card to generate the hype.

Already, I'm seeing the Nintendo Fanboys going nuts over Smash, and it's rather sad in a lot of ways.

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

It wasn't the best Nintendo Direct on account of there being so many ports/remakes announced for both the Switch and the 3DS. I know Nintendo is currently riding on a high note given the success of the Switch but relying heavily on ports/remakes is not the best way to go. They need original games alongside sequels to their mainstay franchises to keep people interested otherwise what they've done will ultimately backfire on them.

Unlike most, the Smash announcement didn't impress me as it was expected a mile away. Nintendo have become so easy to predict these days that it's impossible not to be truly surprised unless they were trying. I suspect that this Smash Bros. will be a port of the Wii U version as the chances of them releasing a new game in the series this year without any information is highly unlikely--doable but very difficult. Basically, the direct was disappointing to everyone until that final announcement. I also suspect Nintendo had no confidence with what they had and used their Smash Bros. card to generate the hype.

Already, I'm seeing the Nintendo Fanboys going nuts over Smash, and it's rather sad in a lot of ways.

I have a strong feeling that was Nintendo's plan here. Announce even more ports and 'updates' and finish it all with Smash so the fanboys will go crazy over that and forget about the rest. I would say it was clever, if it wasn't so damn obvious.

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I have a strong feeling that was Nintendo's plan here. Announce even more ports and 'updates' and finish it all with Smash so the fanboys will go crazy over that and forget about the rest. I would say it was clever, if it wasn't so damn obvious.

Like I said, Nintendo have gotten predictable.

I am a fan of Nintendo and have been since around 1989--excluding between 1994 to 1996 as those were my Sega years--but I long ago discarded the notion of fanboyism as I knew they weren't perfect and have made so many blunders that fanboys give them a complete pass over because they are Nintendo. Already over on YouTube, IGN, and other places, I'm seeing the fanboys gushing over Smash whilst completely ignoring everything else. They're even debating as to whether this will be a port or a new game altogether.

I love this. Nintendo during the Wii U days: "Nintendo has no third party games!".

Nintendo during the Switch announcing ports of third party games like Okami, Dark Souls, and Crash: "OMG STOP JUST PORTING GAMES!"

Honestly, I liked how we now get a release for Octopath Traveler and the Smash reveal looks like it's POSSIBLE it's a new game. The evidence suggests it's a 50/50 chance of being a port or a new game.

Evidence of it being a new game:

• It makes little sense to make a teaser trailer for a port and get people hyped up for a port unless it was a SIGNIFICANT overhaul for said port. They didn't even do that with Mario Kart 8 which was a better selling game.
  • Timing wise, it's around when a new Smash game would be being announced.
  • Link shown was obviously Breath of the Wild Link, so unless that's a new costume, we likely are getting a new link and it makes little sense to have 3 versions of Link in the same game.

I'd say there's a 50% chance of this being a new title.

A pretty good direct. I'm not expecting anything major until E3 though. Nintendo's got a pretty good game plan honestly.

Can't say that about Microsoft, who still has failed to give people reason to buy an Xbox One. You know why? Because it has no GAMES.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Celli said:

A pretty good direct. I'm not expecting anything major until E3 though. Nintendo's got a pretty good game plan honestly.

Can't say that about Microsoft, who still has failed to give people reason to buy an Xbox One. You know why? Because it has no GAMES.

If I recall Microsoft is going to their version of a Direct this year.

OHOHO I love it! Nintendo finally gets a console that appeals to everyone and finally gets the third party support it desperately needed to put it on par with the other systems and what do I see? A bunch of people bitching and complaining. I guess you really can't satisfy everyone as someone will find excuses to complain.

"But Coffee, these are merely ports!!" Oh quit your bitching. Yes it's getting a lot of multi platform games. That's actually a great thing for people who don't want to shell out the extra cash for a PC, want the Switch over the PS4 and XBone or want have one of the other three and want to play the games that interest them on the go! Point is Nintendo NEEDED this as all they had before with the Wii and WiiU was very minimal third party support and shovelware. This is a huge leap and bound from that.

• Brohoof 4

I can't say that was a bad Direct. There wasn't a lot for me, but I feel like it was packed, with some neat 3rd party announcements, and also some more information of Demos, which the lack of those is something I've always complained about with Nintendo.

God I hope that is a new Super Smash Bros. Why in the world did they have to be so vague about it? I hope this vagueness actually means a new game.

• Brohoof 1

I will say it right now, if this Super Smash Bros is not new, I will be even more aggravated than if Nintendo had just announced it as a dreaded port to begin with. There's absolutely no need for all of this vagueness if it is just a port. If it turns out that it just a port, and Nintendo's being vague about it because they actually think that Super Smash Bros 4 port is something to hype up like this, then I will be really mad at them.

This better be a new Smash. You set the expectations that way now, Nintendo.

Guys; please, play nice. It isn't worth it getting involved in a continual back-and-forth that drives the thread off-topic, and devolves into a pit of insults. Let's avoid that please.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

It seems my wallet is going to be in a bit of pain this year. So many good games being released so soon! Okami, Octopath, a Luigi's mansion remake!... I guess I'm still in that wii u game drought mentality. I wasn't expecting animal crossing news, but I hope we hear some word of the series soon or later.

(I also can't believe Detective Pikachu flew off my radar; for some reason, I was under the impression it was going to be Japan only.)

• Brohoof 2

There was also nothing Fire Emblem related to be found in the direct. Oh well. I suppose I'll just have to wait until E3 for that.