Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Heavy Metal: It's Own Music Genre Or A Sub-Genre Of Rock?

Denim&Venöm

Heavy Metal  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Pat of Rock or it's own genre?

• Heavy Metal is it's own Genre
    • Heavy Metal is part of Rock music

So after a show I got into a debate with my dad. He thinks all metal, from Iron Maiden to Korn, Motley Crue to Slayer, is all a sub genre of rock music as a whole. While I am of the opinion that heavy metal is it's own genre with it's own ever expanding sub genres. It's seems like a common reaction among people that anything with an electric guitar and attitude is just rock music, while any proud metal elitist will gladly inform you what is true metal and what isn't. 

But what is your take on this? Is heavy metal it's own genre, or is it just another part of the broad scope of rock music? 

• Brohoof 2

Back in a simpler times, I always see it as subgenre of rock and still do. 

Well it did come out of rock, but hip-hop did come out of funk, disco, etc. styles and heavy metal didn't just come out of rock it came from rock, blues, etc. at least if we're looking at Black Sabbath and not Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Blue Cheer etc. (but I always speak from a Black Sabbath perspective). 

So looking there I would consider it its own genre, but Black Sabbath is just one band so looking to most of the heavy metal bands from the 70's I guess a sub-genre of rock makes sense, but considering how much the music varies today it's definitely it's own genre. Black Dahlia Murder and Royal Blood are totally on there own spectrum imo. 

Final answer: it's own genre. 

3 minutes ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

Euro style metal is totally different from (crappy) American metal. It is a shame they are labeled the same.

Cant argue with that. My favorite metal bands are usually from the Netharlands and, sweeden.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Listen to some fucking brutal deathcore or technical death metal and tell me that that's rock music- as a ridiculously devout fan of both- they are absolutely  separate beasts.

Just because it came from rock doesn't make it rock- otherwise rock is just blues since it came from there, and rap is just the funk/dance/disco it originated from, etc etc.

Edit: Plus you can't start having subgenres until you are an actual genre- metal probably has the most subgenres of any genre out there, seriously, look them up. It's absurd, though it's more because us metalheads are picky as hell and total elitists, making sure we can properly define and categorize whatever we hear under more than just the generic label of metal- far too much variation and nuances to all the different sounds for one lump term.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...