Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The movie didn't get nominated.

CastletonSnob

The other night at the Oscars, the MLP Movie didn't even get nominated for an award. Can you believe that? Yet Boss Baby did. Surely, the MLP Movie was at least more deserving of a nomination than that movie. 

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro didn't submit the film for nomination... which explains it's absence in categories it could've stood a chance in. It could've gotten nominated in Animated Feature over The Boss Baby for sure, but considering Mary And The Witches Flower, Your Name, A Silent Voice AND In This Corner Of The World didn't get nominated despite being better than Boss Baby speaks volumes.

I am aggrieved that none of its musical numbers or score didn't get anything because they deserved something... hell even The Annie Awards didn't consider the film due to Hasbro's decision and it's disheartening. Oh well, it happens, so I can't complain much more.

• Brohoof 7

26 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

The other night at the Oscars, the MLP Movie didn't even get nominated for an award. Can you believe that? Yet Boss Baby did. Surely, the MLP Movie was at least more deserving of a nomination than that movie. 

I certainly believe it. Do you know what the probability of winning the lottery is? How about winning the same lottery if you don't even buy a ticket? 

Hasbro didn't even submit the film for consideration and put it up. Dude, they have no chance of winning since they didn't even participate in the nomination process. :P

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I certainly believe it. Do you know what the probability of winning the lottery is? How about winning the same lottery if you don't even buy a ticket? 

Hasbro didn't even submit the film for consideration and put it up. Dude, they have no chance of winning since they didn't even participate in the nomination process. :P

OK, but what if they did submit it for consideration?

3 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

OK, but what if they did submit it for consideration?

Then ... who knows? Hard to prognosticate with the absence of action. Maybe they get nominated, maybe it doesn't. It certainly wasn't going to beat Coco, that's for sure. 

The Oscars have a particular disdain for any animation that isn't CGI. Unless your last name is miyazaki, critics won't give your film a passing glance. 

The mlp film was good, but it wasn't that good. Plenty of arguibly better films also got snubbed. I don't think the film would've stood a chance. 

9 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

The Oscars have a particular disdain for any animation that isn't CGI. Unless your last name is miyazaki, critics won't give your film a passing glance. 

The mlp film was good, but it wasn't that good. Plenty of arguibly better films also got snubbed. I don't think the film would've stood a chance. 

But isn’t using an animation program technically CGI? 

1 hour ago, Vocal Analyst said:

I am aggrieved that none of its musical numbers or score didn't get anything because they deserved something... .

I know what song plenty of people thought should have been nominated and the irony only intesified when it was Emily Blunt announcing the award for "Best Song":orly:

(edited)
1 hour ago, Jeric said:

It seems silly to me that a film has to be submitted for it to be eligible. If it has been shown in theaters and meets the rest of the eligibility criteria, surely that should be enough, as long as the Academy wants to nominate it. Not that it really matters, as pretty much all films with a chance of winning will be submitted anyway, but still... :dash:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

Sadly many people wouldn't give it a chance because it was a My Little Pony movie (even though my non-brony family really liked the movie) even though it was a good movie.

So it couldn't get popular enough for a nomination.

Which is a shame, I think if it was a transformers movie with the same story line and script, it would've been nominated.

7 hours ago, Vocal Analyst said:

Hasbro didn't submit the film for nomination... which explains it's absence in categories it could've stood a chance in. It could've gotten nominated in Animated Feature over The Boss Baby for sure, but considering Mary And The Witches Flower, Your Name, A Silent Voice AND In This Corner Of The World didn't get nominated despite being better than Boss Baby speaks volumes.

I am aggrieved that none of its musical numbers or score didn't get anything because they deserved something... hell even The Annie Awards didn't consider the film due to Hasbro's decision and it's disheartening. Oh well, it happens, so I can't complain much more.

I pretty sure it was Lionsgate that didn't submit it for consideration, not Hasbro. 

Academy awards don't mean a darn thing, and the ceremony itself is nothing but an opportunity for the hollywood crowd to pat each each other on the back and stretch their acting skills to the limits by pretending to care about whatever the hot button topic of the day is.  The MLP movie was good, and even if it had been submitted and recognised by that nest of hypocrites it would ultimately not change anything.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I mean Coco was there, so it's not like it was gonna get a fair chance anyway. At this point it's a participation award for Disney/Pixar. 

And even then, it still has the stigma of well, being My Little Pony

Edited by Alvin Yakitori
  • Brohoof 3

I'm guessing that Hasbro didn't think the movie was worth submitting it to be nominated so they opted not to do so. Had it been nominated however, I don't think it would've stood a chance against the likes of Coco.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Misscellanio said:

I pretty sure it was Lionsgate that didn't submit it for consideration, not Hasbro. 

Both. Submissions must be sent by the film's Producer (Hasbro Studios employee) or the representative of the distributor (Lionsgate). That's the AMPAS rule found in their Rules and Eligibility document. 

Either/Or can submit. Neither did. 

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

It seems silly to me that a film has to be submitted for it to be eligible. If it has been shown in theaters and meets the rest of the eligibility criteria, surely that should be enough, as long as the Academy wants to nominate it. Not that it really matters, as pretty much all films with a chance of winning will be submitted anyway, but still... :dash:

It speaks to the entire purpose of the Oscars. The entire reason for the awards ceremony has nothing to do with the audience. It's about the industry recognizing those in the industry. It isn't meant to be a general audience awards show. 

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Vocal Analyst said:

Indeed it was, but the point remains the same.

No, you were right ... it's usually the executive producer that makes the call on submitting. That would have been Meghan McCarthy. 

Does Hasbro even have enough bribe money for Oscar critics even consider to look at it? Also, and most importantly does MLP movie does have enough strong female characters that don't need rescuing?

• Brohoof 2

As others have said, Hasbro or Lionsgate (not sure who's responsible for  submitting it) didn't even submit it for consideration. Also, I don't care if The Boss Baby was nominated or not.