Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are Bronies shunned in the real world

Winter Bronco

MLP for generations has been known as something for little girls. Now all the sudden you've got fully grown men and women who love the show, some practically worship it. I guess they just find it weird, which is completely understandable. I mean if I went back in time and told myself you'd be a fan of My Little Pony he'd probably act in a similar manner. MLP is something you have to experience for yourself to enjoy and understand.

We don' have the best reputation, and that one recent pedophile guy didn't help.

Most of it is because of our bad stereotypes.

I prefer places like this because literally everybody here is sweet.

5 minutes ago, Winter Bronco said:

I haven't told anyone i like MLP and just recently i decided to tell my friends and they made fun of me for it.

Something like that just happens to me. I was texting my brony friend and the simplified version is he leaked my texts to the school

17 minutes ago, Winter Bronco said:

I haven't told anyone i like MLP and just recently i decided to tell my friends and they made fun of me for it.

But also. My parents don' really appove of it, but. I do try to isolate myself from people who I know aren' really true friends, that' why I usually only converse online. That' what also makes this place so cool, not only does everybody have the same interests, but their all really nice. If you get the chance, I would suggest going to BronyCon but first seeing if anybody here is also going. I would but I'm too young.

(edited)

I wouldn't say that we are shunned  in the real world. There may be a few who hates and/or mock us but the wast majority doesn't care at all about us.

Edited by Gestum
  • Brohoof 8

It largely comes down to societal norms, and what society deems as appropriate. It looks to be a social taboo for a person or group to find enjoyment in something that's outside of their gender bracket. Heck; there are girls who are bullied for liking things like Star Wars because it's "meant for boys."

It's an unfortunate part of society; even more sad that it still persists to this day.

Just now, Gestum said:

I wouldn't say that we are shunned  in the real world. There may be a few who hates and/or mock us but the wast majority doesn't care at all about us.

This is also true.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, PathfinderCS said:

It largely comes down to societal norms, and what society deems as appropriate. It looks to be a social taboo for a person or group to find enjoyment in something that's outside of their gender bracket. Heck; there are girls who are bullied for liking things like Star Wars because it's "meant for boys."

It's an unfortunate part of society; even more sad that it still persists to this day.

This is also true.

That's exactly why I prefer people online.

I think it depends on the person. Of course, there will be people who will shun/mock to you just because you are different, which is a shame, but I think most people don't care about us. 

People IRL shun us for the stereotypes (i.e. everyone being cloppers, the usual stereotypes) and that MLP was for little girls and is now created for little kids (regardless of gender) and their parents, siblings and family.

And they might be just scared they might like MLP

This is why I think that spat between Furries and Bronies should stop.  We both get treated the same way by most other fandoms and social groups, why not just come together and form a stronger community?  We're pretty much the same thing as one another, appreciating anthropomorphic animals, creating personas to be a part of that or another made-up world.  There's also the stereotype for each community that everyone a part of it is some pervert or something.  I think it would be beneficial for Furries and Bronies to come together to form a larger group...?

I think people outside of the brony community just don't understand nor want to understand the people of this particular group.  It's also a social thing, it's just not fitting for a bunch of guys(even though not everyone in this community is a guy) to appreciate something meant for little girls, some people get suspicious of people like us.  I also think it depends on the area you live in, like, where I live now is much more open to "alternative" things compared to where I used to live that was really uptight about "alternative" things.  I've found that most people don't care what your interests are unless they feel pressure from other people to call something childish or stupid.  Which is childish and stupid in and of itself...

Tbh I haven’t really seen any mocking about bronies outside of high school. Literally almost nobody cares about any nerdy things after high school. Or if they do they have issues.

I may be a girl, so I haven’t been exactly put in the shoes of the stigma attached to guys liking “girly” things. However, I intern at a police department and one night I was chillin in the officers room playing my 3ds while one of the officer’s I was doing a ride along with was working on a report. He looked over and saw pony stickers on my ds. 

This big burly and manly cop literally started chuckling and singing the theme song. He watches it with his daughter and enjoys watching it with her. So anyone making fun because they think it’s not “manly” or whatever has serious issues. Manly and feminine are social constructs. In the end nobody should care. If they’re that hung up on something like a gender stereotype they need to get a life.

Different opinions. It's out of the "ordinary" to watch a show that was intended for little girls, so it's not appreciated in the society.

It just comes down to convenience - it's really easy to bully men about watching the show because men are not expected to like cute things. And unfortunately, the earlier generations were very girly and that stereotype stuck with the show...very hard for even me to watch, sorry. :lie:

There could be two causes. One cause could be that some bronies are of a loud minority: ones who shove the show in peoples' face and never become happy until they like it. I'm certain there are a good amount of bronies like that. Thus, people may think that those are what most bronies are like. But in reality, the VAST majority of bronies that I've seen based on my browsing of this site are respectful people who are decent human beings. For a second cause, it could just be that it's a little girls' show and they think that it's gay or something, which is definitely a more toxic approach to the whole brony thing. It's understandable that in cause 1 people may just be misunderstood and were mistaken, but cause 2 is just rude.

• 4 weeks later...

Like everyone's said, it's mostly a group mentality thing. There's usually a vague 'standard' of 'normal' people adhere to in public- anything different therefore frightens and offends that principle of normalcy. So the first response is ridicule, then rumor, then a general disdain/hate with more ridicule on top. This is because people tend to trust and follow the 'popular' belief of others. 

So if other people say bronies are gross degenerates, they'll adopt that opinion because they don't want to be seen as gross degenerates themselves- they want to fit in. It often makes people feel better about themselves to mock others, especially when it's socially acceptable to do so. It's like permission to mock certain people, not only is it not seen as bad, it's enforced and encouraged. 

This way of thinking is so ingrained, it can even affect mostly good and intelligent people. In the end, it brings everyone down, not just the shunned group. 

The way I see it, it's really just that people as a whole tend to need an "outgroup" to define themselves against in order to assert their own meaningfulness, since a lot of people seem to need some kind of external validation in order to consider themselves meaningful and "good". Thus, they pick something that they are not which they can conveniently label as bad. It doesn't matter if this group actually does anything harmful or not, since the actual reason that the group is vilified is so that people can gain self-validation from the fact that they are not part of this group. The same thing happens with furries: everyone on the internet treats them like lepers despite the fact that as a group they don't actually do or advocate for anything harmful. It's just a cheap, easy way for people to feel like they are "good".

• 8 months later...