Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Video game franchises that might as well be dead

heavens-champion

Any non-2K WWE game. WrestleKingdom. Colony wars. Dino-crisis. Star wars rogue squadron. Gundam games in general, but specifically battle assault. Burnout. Mech warrior/ assault. Guitar hero/ rock band. Marvel: ultimate alliance. 

Condemned seems to be in the dirt. The original creator said something about wanting a team for Condemned 3, but that was years ago and with no result so far. Another series that is dead and I say this with sadness in my text, Rollercoaster Tycoon. The original, glorious franchise is now a husk of what it once was thanks to Atari. World was apparently a disaster and the mobile versions are the worst. Then there's the 'crowdfunding campaign' they made for Rollercoaster Tycoon on Switch, which by the way is nothing but a cheap port of the mobile version, that was ddne in such an arrogant and greedy manner. 

Luckily, RCT lives on through Planet Coaster, basically RCT reincarnated. Made by the original team at Frontier who clearly have a passion for what they do.

Two years ago I would have said Metroid, but now... Well you all know.

Anyways, I'd say F-Zero, seeing as we haven't had a game since GX on the GameCube.

Ridge Racer, sort of. The last installment was 6 years ago but it seems a lot of people didn't buy it. The two that came out in for the 3DS and Vita didn't seem to get that much attention and there's been seemingly nothing since. Arcade racing games don't seem to be the high sellers they once were back in the day, so I think it's dead, or close to it.

Likely a casualty of the golden days of 3D-platformers from the 90s, but I have good memories of Croc for the PS1. Heck; it even had a sequel! The Completionist's review of the first game brought back some memories and it saddens me we haven't seen him since the 90s.

• Brohoof 2

F-Zero is the first franchise that comes to mind since there hasn't been a new game since 2005--Captain Falcon's appearances in Super Smash Bros. doesn't count--and people have been clamouring for a new one for years. Another would be Golden Sun though given how Dark Dawn was received, Camelot Software Planning might not be willing to make another one unless they were pressured by Nintendo or really felt it needed to be continued again.

Megaman is dying a slow and painful death, barely kept on life support by Capcom. Every once in a blue moon they'll release something like the upcoming Megaman 11, but every other series from ZX to Legends to X has been canned one after another.   

1 hour ago, PoisonClaw said:

Megaman is dying a slow and painful death, barely kept on life support by Capcom. Every once in a blue moon they'll release something like the upcoming Megaman 11, but every other series from ZX to Legends to X has been canned one after another.   

Maybe not, if they're releasing a Megaman Classic collection and the upcoming X collection, and 11, they might revive legends 3 and do an X9.

8 hours ago, Gernia said:

Ridge Racer, sort of. The last installment was 6 years ago but it seems a lot of people didn't buy it. The two that came out in for the 3DS and Vita didn't seem to get that much attention and there's been seemingly nothing since. Arcade racing games don't seem to be the high sellers they once were back in the day, so I think it's dead, or close to it.

It doesn't help the games that released after 7 was awful.

Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Sly Cooper, Dead Space, Destroy All Humans, Jak and Daxter, Mega Man Legends, Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Earthworm Jim.

Earthworm Jim crashed and burned only after having 4 games. And boy were the last 2 games terrible. Rumors of a new game have been floating around for years, but nothing ever came of it.

I really would like a new Sly Cooper game, especially since the 4th game ended on a pretty sour note.

Conker........need I say more?

5aa387695efef_youngconker.png.76015c5c74603015d126421cc71a6a7f.png

Edited by ultrairongorilla

If something like Bubsy could come back, it's possible that all these franchises may at some point in the future. Only problem is that the original creators of Bubsy were the ones who wanted to revive it. You'd have to convince the companies who own the licenses to those IPs.

F-Zero and it fucking breaks my heart 

Technically Starfox too, all we get nowadays a tons of fucking Starfox 64 remakes 

On 3/9/2018 at 3:49 PM, PathfinderCS said:

Likely a casualty of the golden days of 3D-platformers from the 90s, but I have good memories of Croc for the PS1. Heck; it even had a sequel! The Completionist's review of the first game brought back some memories and it saddens me we haven't seen him since the 90s.

"Is this the end of Croc? You'll have to wait and see" - Start Croc 2's 100% completion credits 

Too bad tho, Croc was closer to a classic 3D platform Mario than Mario 64's collect-a-ton, despite a notorious flaw or two :dash:

Any under Konami's ownership, namely Metal Gear, Contra, and Castlevania 

• Brohoof 1

On 3/9/2018 at 8:49 PM, PathfinderCS said:

I remember playing that when it first came out, and thinking the graphics looked amazing. And I still the graphics hold up today

Yeah, the Soul Calibur series:  Soul Calibur V pretty much killed it dead with it's half-baked release that had almost zero content. 

On a related note, add Duke Nukem to the list, especially since, after living up to its name by taking forever to be released, Duke Nukem Forever flopped hard....

10 minutes ago, DJ_Bonebraker said:

Yeah, the Soul Calibur series:  Soul Calibur V pretty much killed it dead with it's half-baked release that had almost zero content. 

On a related note, add Duke Nukem to the list, especially since, after living up to its name by taking forever to be released, Duke Nukem Forever flopped hard....

Well, Soul Calibur VI is coming out, so... ;)

Metal gear solid.....defenitly unless Kojima can buy the franchise umm Star Wars single player games ya battlefront 2 had one it was ok but what I meant was a good Star Wars single player game like rouge squadron 1 and 2 burnout series ya I know a remake of paradise is out but not as good as the first 3 , halo games ,6 might be their last with maybe just sequels.