Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Good-bye Toys R Us?. Store may close down starting next week

SaburoDaimando

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, I’m a little late, as you probably know this already, but looks like Toys R’ Us will be saved after all, but will change it’s name to Geoffrey’s Toy Box

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/10/toys-r-us-converting-to-geoffreys-toy.html

It’s sad a name that made us smile in our childhoods is gone, but at least the brand, even if it’s under a different name, still lives :fluttershy:

Gosh, now that I work retail and am generally happy with where I am, this is going to cause some conflict in my head. I worked at TRU in the early 00's, it was actually my first real job. Unfortunately it was probably the WORST-run store in the entire chain, so while I had a lot of fun there, all of the logistic and management nightmares shied me away from it for a long time. These days I sort of think of that job as "the one that got away." While I still would've ended up hunting for a new job last year, I really wish I'd been with the company this whole time.

• Brohoof 1

I thought they were a cool store to walk through during Christmas and the Holidays. I really liked the store if you walked in and were looking for a particular time 95 percent of the time they would have it on there shelf. The online toy industry has token a good chunk out of the retail side of shopping. I'm a very impatient person in general so if I can walk in a store and find what i'm looking for that's awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Oh my... if I am not mistaken, this was among the very first topics I posted in when I first logged onto the Forums. I have certainly come a long way since then... :mlp_pout:

Onto the subject at hand, however... i must say, I did not anticipate Toys 'R Us' resurgence as Geoffrey's Toy Box. While I am admittedly a bit giddy, due to the fact that Toys 'R Us will live on, original brand name or otherwise... I am not quite sure what their plan to stay relevant is. While I suppose that remains to be seen... I am a bit skeptical towards this idea, in terms of financial success. The primary appeal of Toys 'R Us was that they were effectively a warehouse for children... and due to the fact that Toys R Us has already sold its properties, Geoffrey's Toy Box will most likely be, 1. A very small chain business, or 2. An online retailer, similar to BigBadToyStore or Entertainment Earth. It is also worth mentioning that Toys R Us' prices were one of the large reasons why it eventually met its fate. If Geoffrey's Toy Box is not wiling to price their products competitively, then their longevity may be in serious jeopardy.

Either way, this idea has very recently been proposed... therefore, details are scare. Though I am somewhat eager for Toys 'R Us' resurgence... I am not going to place any bets yet. I am very ignorant towards how this industry operates, however, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

46 minutes ago, Nightmare glim said:

Good news Toys rus might be coming back I read about it on equestria daily.

I have read that post too.  It's a bit too soon, but nevertheless I was glad that they're going bring it . But I don't like the rename of the store

I'm so happy that Toys R Us will live after all. This is the pure definition of the word "miracle". 

As for the name "Geoffrey's Toy Box", It's a pretty simple name, can't complain.

Once the stores open, Let's have Pinkie throw a party in celebration.

This is truly wonderful news. I grew up on Toys R Us and it was terrible to see it go away. I don't know what to expect as far as any changes in the franchise, but at least there will be something there to satisfy the need for toys.

I'm not sure I would change the name, if it were up to me. Even though there's nothing wrong with 'Geoffrey's Toy Box' it seems like a mistake to throw away a name like 'Toys R Us' that's been established and is recognized the world over.