Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Smash Bros. For Switch is Likely a New Game

So for the uninitiated, here is the trailer for the recent Smash reveal at the Nintendo Direct on March 8th:

Now many were speculating on whether or not this will be a new entry or a port of the Wii U/3DS game which most refer to as Smash 4. I, however, am of the belief that I am 90% sure this is a new entry based upon a series of evidence that I have located. Now for the sake of keeping this objective, I'll only include the evidence that is verified or mostly verified. Here is a list of reasons as to why this is more than likely a new entry and not a port:

1. Development wise, Smash 4 came out 4 years ago almost, this is about the amount of time necessary to make a new entry and not a port.
  2. Sakurai has returned for this game and has revealed he has been working on it for some time now in silence. It seems pointless to bring him back just to make a port.
  3. Link is obviously in his Breath of the Wild Attire , meaning it won't be the same Link. Some could argue it's a costume, but combine that with everyone else and you'd kind of just be grabbing at straws.
  4. The logo is different. Every Smash game has had a different style logo, and this logo does not match the Wii U/3DS game.
  5. The copyright info at the bottom literally says "Original Game"
  6. The same Copyright logo does not list 2014-2018, just 2018.
  7. The Copyright information also lists HAL as the developer whom did not develop Smash 4.
  8. The most damning piece of evidence though is Bandai Namco is not listed at all, even if you could argue that it is still a port and they just coincidentally only listed 2018 as the year, and were including costumes from Breath of the Wild for Link, you would have a hard time explaining why Bandai Namco is not being credited for their original work if this is just a porting job by HAL.
  9. The nature of how it was revealed would not only make no sense for a port, but statistically has seldom been done for a port. Nintendo would not go through the trouble of building up hype over a port when E3 is coming so soon, and this clearly is intended for an E3 reveal. I HIGHLY doubt after that level of reveal it would be a port.

More or less to insist this is a port, you need a concrete explanation to explain away all of these. There is still a possibility that these are all VERY convenient coincidences, but currently the evidence is pointing more toward a new game.

Thoughts?

My Friend said the game is new, but the main focus of the game is 3rd party characters and which of those 3rd party character is gonna be in it. The questions are the character changes other than the character models such as the moves and new stages that are gonna be in it. There will be a lot of hype and predictions for this game.

Looking at the inklings debut to SSB switch, I'm guessing there will be 1~2 splatoon stages, one is the inkopolis plaza and the other would be one of the arenas.

I am too entirely sure if this is true, but if I recall correctly sometime after the release of Smash 3DS and Wii U, I think Sakurai mentioned being involved with a secret project of his, and if that was the case, than I feel like that would be information that would help provide evidence for Smash 2018 being a new game and not a port, given how he said that he was working for this version of Smash in secret for a while.

Nintendo wanted to generate hype and they got it. As for those points of yours, they are very solid and do lead credence towards this being a new entry, but I'm going to wait until there is an official confirmation from Nintendo via text.

I'm still betting on it being an upgraded port ala Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(hopefully one with a decent adventure modes/single player), just because the time span between Smash 4's final update/DLC and this game's supposed release(2018) is unusually short, especially for a Smash game, that I just don't buy it being a completely new game. I mean I'm not opposed to it being a new game or anything, I just don't think it is. Still, it's Smash with new characters, which for me is enough reason to get excited, and also enough to generate hype

The same Copyright logo does not list 2014-2018, just 2018

tbf, this is the same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The original game came out in 2014, Deluxe only has Copyright 2017, instead of 2014-2017

I will say though, another argument for it being a new game though, if you look at the group picture(before cutting to Mario)when you make out Samus, she appears to be a bulkier in terms of her shoulders, which would be more in line with her Samus Returns appearance

6 minutes ago, Alvin Yakitori said:

'm still betting on it being an upgraded port ala Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(hopefully one with a decent adventure modes/single player), just because the time span between Smash 4's final update/DLC and this game's supposed release(2018) is unusually short, especially for a Smash game, that I just don't buy it being a completely new game

Reusing assets can speed up the development process. Plus the Switch is easier to develop for than the Wii U.

7 minutes ago, Alvin Yakitori said:

tbf, this is the same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The original game came out in 2014, Deluxe only has Copyright 2017, instead of 2014-2017

Except the game is made by the same studio so it is acceptable to do that. If you are porting the work of another studio then you sort of need to credit the original makers.

10 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

So for the uninitiated, here is the trailer for the recent Smash reveal at the Nintendo Direct on March 8th:

Now many were speculating on whether or not this will be a new entry or a port of the Wii U/3DS game which most refer to as Smash 4. I, however, am of the belief that I am 90% sure this is a new entry based upon a series of evidence that I have located. Now for the sake of keeping this objective, I'll only include the evidence that is verified or mostly verified. Here is a list of reasons as to why this is more than likely a new entry and not a port:

1. Development wise, Smash 4 came out 4 years ago almost, this is about the amount of time necessary to make a new entry and not a port.
  2. Sakurai has returned for this game and has revealed he has been working on it for some time now in silence. It seems pointless to bring him back just to make a port.
  3. Link is obviously in his Breath of the Wild Attire , meaning it won't be the same Link. Some could argue it's a costume, but combine that with everyone else and you'd kind of just be grabbing at straws.
  4. The logo is different. Every Smash game has had a different style logo, and this logo does not match the Wii U/3DS game.
  5. The copyright info at the bottom literally says "Original Game"
  6. The same Copyright logo does not list 2014-2018, just 2018.
  7. The Copyright information also lists HAL as the developer whom did not develop Smash 4.
  8. The most damning piece of evidence though is Bandai Namco is not listed at all, even if you could argue that it is still a port and they just coincidentally only listed 2018 as the year, and were including costumes from Breath of the Wild for Link, you would have a hard time explaining why Bandai Namco is not being credited for their original work if this is just a porting job by HAL.
  9. The nature of how it was revealed would not only make no sense for a port, but statistically has seldom been done for a port. Nintendo would not go through the trouble of building up hype over a port when E3 is coming so soon, and this clearly is intended for an E3 reveal. I HIGHLY doubt after that level of reveal it would be a port.

More or less to insist this is a port, you need a concrete explanation to explain away all of these. There is still a possibility that these are all VERY convenient coincidences, but currently the evidence is pointing more toward a new game.

Thoughts?

Another crucial factor that supports this being a new Smash over a port of the fourth: isn't it a waste to show it at the end of a Nintendo Direct, and a teaser, if it's just a port?