Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Them's Fightin' Herds is a Flop

I mean the game is so barren in content on a platform that's pretty fighter un-friendly, so it's not much of a surprise

3 minutes ago, Alvin Yakitori said:

I mean the game is so barren in content on a platform that's pretty fighter un-friendly, so it's not much of a surprise

I'm hoping the rough start doesn't impact the release of the Mac/Linux versions that were promised. At least it's gotten from positive feedback; like from Super Best Friends. It's apparent that a fun game was made, but even the best of games aren't successes, so we'll see. As a financial backer from the IndiGoGO campaign I haven't had much to complain about, outside of of no Mac version yet.

Heck; still waiting for Mac Divinity: Original Sin 2. ;)

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I'm hoping the rough start doesn't impact the release of the Mac/Linux versions that were promised. At least it's gotten from positive feedback; like from Super Best Friends. It's apparent that a fun game was made, but even the best of games aren't successes, so we'll see. As a financial backer from the IndiGoGO campaign I haven't had much to complain about, outside of of no Mac version yet.

Heck; still waiting for Mac Divinity: Original Sin 2. ;)

If sales don't pick up, I foresee tons of promises being abandoned.

can agree with it being a flop. The other half has been saying it since they copyright change over from MLP to new characters.

From what i played of it so far, the AI is still overpowered as heck from the original AJ demos and the controls are too basic. There arent really any combos that are special to the characters. They all play the same. We spent some time in the training room just to know how to play and see what the characters offered.

It looks pretty dont get me wrong, I like the dragon a lot. We diiiid notice a few unfinished spots.... I think the deer is missing some finished animation frames as she transforms inot 3 frames of sketches on one attack ^^;

Honestly its just been too long in development I just lost all interest in it and its not wowed me either. Sorry Mane6. If you had got it out 2 or 3 years ago, it wouldve been massive.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:39 AM, Key Sharkz said:

We know the game raised almost $600,000 to produce. You DO realize that they are OBLIGATED to spend that on the production of the game right? Otherwise, that is fraud.

No. This is completely wrong several ways. First, just the Ledger, Journal, and Income Statements from initial Investment to monthly close-out during any production project shows that this is not how things are accounted. Secondly, check the Indiegogo ToS and FAQ regarding overfunding. Third, Wages Expense Account and Retained Earnings Account. That's all I have to say. These are financial accounting fundamentals, and most people don't know how running a business works, so it's understandable. 

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, Jeric said:

No. This is completely wrong several ways. First, just the Ledger, Journal, and Income Statements from initial Investment to monthly close-out during any production project shows that this is not how things are accounted. Secondly, check the Indiegogo ToS and FAQ regarding overfunding. Third, Wages Expense Account and Retained Earnings Account. That's all I have to say. These are financial accounting fundamentals, and most people don't know how running a business works, so it's understandable. 

You got me there, but it doesn't really change too much and here's why:

$600,000 (not even) we can be certain none of it was pocketed and here's why:

You have a team of 11 people, many voice actors... Even if you split the bill evenly... and we only count the people who continually worked on the project for the 2 years of development... We're looking at splitting 11 salaries out of $600,000 over 2 years that's about $27,000 a year to pay for all the employees, and that's being insanely generous assuming other expenses didn't arise. Realistically, everyone probably only really got living expenses covered during the development of the game or even less. If I recall the team still had to have day jobs.

So even if what you say is true... It's unlikely that any profit was made off of the initial funding, I think you'll agree there, correct?

6 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

You got me there, but it doesn't really change too much and here's why:

$600,000 (not even) we can be certain none of it was pocketed and here's why:

You have a team of 11 people, many voice actors... Even if you split the bill evenly... and we only count the people who continually worked on the project for the 2 years of development... We're looking at splitting 11 salaries out of $600,000 over 2 years that's about $27,000 a year to pay for all the employees, and that's being insanely generous assuming other expenses didn't arise. Realistically, everyone probably only really got living expenses covered during the development of the game or even less. If I recall the team still had to have day jobs.

So even if what you say is true... It's unlikely that any profit was made off of the initial funding, I think you'll agree there, correct?

Possibly. It honestly depends on the expense accounts. The funding included a debit to cash, but also a huge amount of deferred revenue (not unearned). It's possible that instead of a wages expense liability, labor was recorded as stakeholders equity. When you move deferred revenue over as the units are delivered ... the balance sheet would look different than you may expect. The income statement  might actually show a profit since net profit is just the balance of revenue minus expenses. All depends on how Mane 6 addessed liabilities and equity. 

Where we completely agree is that there is not a strong return on investment here, at all. The only way to do so is to turn the intangible assets into something of value prior to depreciation. I certainly wouldn't work for equity, but I've seen many do just that. 

55 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Possibly. It honestly depends on the expense accounts. The funding included a debit to cash, but also a huge amount of deferred revenue (not unearned). It's possible that instead of a wages expense liability, labor was recorded as stakeholders equity. When you move deferred revenue over as the units are delivered ... the balance sheet would look different than you may expect. The income statement  might actually show a profit since net profit is just the balance of revenue minus expenses. All depends on how Mane 6 addessed liabilities and equity. 

Where we completely agree is that there is not a strong return on investment here, at all. The only way to do so is to turn the intangible assets into something of value prior to depreciation. I certainly wouldn't work for equity, but I've seen many do just that. 

Perhaps you can translate that into far simpler terms for people without accounting and business knowledge?

With games like this I've always been keen on waiting for it to get ported to the game systems. Dunno if that's going to happen...

But at least the game is made! That's important too. Though I wonder why it isn't as popular as people thought... a little too odd or obscure?

19 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Perhaps you can translate that into far simpler terms for people without accounting and business knowledge?

If the team decided to work for stake in Mane 6 assuming it had a future, then it may have made a profit since the labor would balance out when factoring cost of goods sold (for all intents and purposes no real labor cost). Since equity isn't part of the profit/loss formula it might look like they made money and have value in the company. We don't know what their operating expenses are or what their cost of goods sold is, so it's hard to state that they have or have not made a profit. 

17 minutes ago, Jeric said:

If the team decided to work for stake in Mane 6 assuming it had a future, then it may have made a profit since the labor would balance out when factoring cost of goods sold (for all intents and purposes no real labor cost). Since equity isn't part of the profit/loss formula it might look like they made money and have value in the company. We don't know what their operating expenses are or what their cost of goods sold is, so it's hard to state that they have or have not made a profit. 

Ah that does indeed make more sense. So essentially it all boils down to if they all worked for equity then there is a possibility that a profit was made, but otherwise, the chances are not that likely.

Am I following correctly?

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

Ah that does indeed make more sense. So essentially it all boils down to if they all worked for equity then there is a possibility that a profit was made, but otherwise, the chances are not that likely.

Am I following correctly?

Exactly. That said, eventually it all catches up with you. If this game doesn't start selling, or Mane 6 doesn't figure out a way to leverage their company and get some rich types to keep funding them .... it's gonna end bad. 

Some game companies in the past were able to build on a game like this with a few follow-ups that finally turned them into more financially profitable companies ... but that's like winning the lottery. More importantly, unless you are a huge publisher ... all it takes is one bad flop where you are massively in the red to kill your company. How many development houses have we seen close up in just the last five years? Game development is more fickle than being a musician or actor. :/

On 3/13/2018 at 7:29 PM, Toastypk said:

With games like this I've always been keen on waiting for it to get ported to the game systems. Dunno if that's going to happen...

But at least the game is made! That's important too. Though I wonder why it isn't as popular as people thought... a little too odd or obscure?

Well I can think of a stuff or two:

1-It originated as a pony fan game, so it alienates some people 

2-While many reviewers stated it's a solid fighting game, it clearly lacks content compared to many others

3-Sure, despite the C&D and it got revived on similar but still non-pony characters and the fandom had supported it immensely........ they kinda went under the radar for years. For realz, I thought the game was cancelled and I didn't even knew it, but then they be like "Oh, remember us? The game will be launched later this month". (weeks later), "yeah but as an early access" :dash:  .

Seriously, the game has heart, but regrettably, I'm rather pessimistic with it's future :sunny: