Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft Being More Consumer Friendly than Sony

Rich made a video on the subject for reference, it'll help to watch it:

So some thoughts before getting too deep into the core of the discussion:

• FreeSync seems like an interesting feature, sadly I doubt it'll be used to its fullest due to not enough games being in 60FPS and people having such monitors, but it will improve experiences if the right conditions are met.
  • Auto-Low Latency Mode is going to be the best of these features easily. Designed to automatically switch your TV to the lowest latency mode possible to reduce input lag, etc. This is definitely a great feature to have, and easily an awesome addition to the console. This should in theory make streaming and watching streams better overall. Only catch is... this really isn't much of a feature as you can do this on any game console, the difference is the Xbox will now do it automatically.
  • Edge browser update is a huge boon here because you can now download and move files via your browser. This means saving a photo to use as a background is seamless now. Sucks that Edge is still the only option, but at least it's improved slightly. I can't say if this feature will actually get used much since people seldom use browsers on game consoles, but I guess Microsoft is one upping Sony who just recently added support for backgrounds from your USB devices. I'd say this is a small step above that at least.
  • Mixer controller stuff is... a bad idea. Mixer is not going to catch on, Microsoft. Not to mention a streaming service that allows players to directly interact with the person streaming by taking control of/affecting the game in progress is a horrendously terrible idea. Sounds cool on paper, but totally useless. I hope to GOD this does not allow people to still get achievements in game, because you can literally now just let other people play the game for you and thus let them farm achievements for you. I can think of so many ways this can be abused... It's a bad idea and if they are insisting on doing this it needs to be VASTLY LIMITED.

My take on this, these are all nice features and a good reminder that competition creates more consumer friendliness, but like... There's an elephant in the middle of the room here that I think we all can't deny:

While these features are nice and all... it doesn't make up for the lack of exclusive games. Microsoft can be as consumer friendly as they like but if they don't have games that REQUIRE the Xbox to play, these features are not going to be enough to lure people over because since all their games are available on PC, and all of these features are more or less as well... This is sort of a moot point... Like it's nice that they are putting the effort in to show their consumers that they are trying to make the experience better, but they need more games. This is also a good example of not just how competition means consumers win, but also how software is what is truly important here. Without the software to take advantage of these features, they will hardly convince anyone to run out and buy the system, but they definitely will positively affect those who already own it.

Thoughts?

Not to mention, none of these features will boost sales anyway, and if the Xbone was doing better Microsoft would not be doing these features.

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

Not to mention, none of these features will boost sales anyway, and if the Xbone was doing better Microsoft would not be doing these features.

Yeah that would be the other elephant. These features are... Okay I suppose, but no one is going to go "whoa the Xbox supports freesync I better get one over a PS4". These features are more or less only going to aid the people who already own the console.

Xbox is better to play Sonic games on in my personal opinion. But Xbox don't have Ratchet and Clank games. So it just depends which system you prefer.

1 hour ago, Magora said:

Xbox is better to play Sonic games on in my personal opinion. But Xbox don't have Ratchet and Clank games. So it just depends which system you prefer.

Sonic games?

Why do you figure? I never really noticed any difference between the two platforms.

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

Sonic games?

Why do you figure? I never really noticed any difference between the two platforms.

Because Sonic adds more personality for me when i experience it on Xbox compared to any other system.