Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Mistmane’s mane flow?

Nature Tune

Mistmane, the legendary pony first seen in “Campfire Tales”, is a normal unicorn. Except, she looks more like a princess than a unicorn. Her posture and build isn’t like, for example, Rarity, bit more like Princess Cadance. She is also slightly taller than others. The thing is, her mane flows.

07E38B12-A8E3-431B-8D78-42B1297AA500.jpeg.fbda3fec8d5bbee4cf71bc7e6dedcc4d.jpeg

Why, though? Could she have had a normal mane like Luna when she was small?

A0C29435-279A-48F1-8ACF-184400D4063B.jpeg.24c75b0070c6f1ae9d4485489185e460.jpegBFDEFCB1-A373-4471-8DFD-E10D57171F53.png.95fa274bbbea7de5221ad7fd7ad7234c.png66C9B153-EBAD-4DCF-87AE-7D340A7AA818.thumb.png.12d0151f3a509397d507a36c8febe3f0.png

Now her mane is like both Celestia and Luna. I’m not quite sure if her mane used to flow (fly) when she was small.

This may be a stupid question, but I’ve wondered why. Is she royal? Maybe some if you have theories.

Edited by Nature Tune

Well that has been a question we have all had in some way, but a new Hasbro short, titled FUNdementals of Magic pretty much answers this for us. Celestia says that magic manifests in many different ways, such as a continuously flowing mane. So there you go, Mistmane has a flowing mane because it is just a way her powerful magic manifests itself.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Well that has been a question we have all had in some way, but a new Hasbro short, titled FUNdementals of Magic pretty much answers this for us. Celestia says that magic manifests in many different ways, such as a continuously flowing mane. So there you go, Mistmane has a flowing mane because it is just a way her powerful magic manifests itself.

Ohh that makes sense. Thanks for explaining :sealed:

@RyanMahaffe beat me to it, but he is right. Magic makes it possible. I now wonder if there are other ponies with this. And shouldn't Starlight, Twilight and Cadence have flowing manes too? :dash:

It could also be a seperated group of ponies. They also have other horns, so this could have possibilities. 

Sombra also has one of those flowing manes:

latest?cb=20130116183804

Of course, if you believe the comics, his explanation is that he's really an Umbrum (which is like a Windigo, but with darkness instead of blizzards).

Edited by A.V.

12 minutes ago, Hierok, Scoffer of Music said:

@RyanMahaffe beat me to it, but he is right. Magic makes it possible. I now wonder if there are other ponies with this. And shouldn't Starlight, Twilight and Cadence have flowing manes too? :dash:

It could also be a seperated group of ponies. They also have other horns, so this could have possibilities. 

Eh, I think a flowing Mane is a unique type of manifestation of magic that isn't directly related to power, otherwise Starswirl would have a flowing mane as well. I think it is just an external form of their magic, making their mane flow in a mystical fashion, it's odd but it is all I can think of.

• Brohoof 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:01 AM, She said:

Mistmane, the legendary pony first seen in “Campfire Tales”, is a normal unicorn. Except, she looks more like a princess than a unicorn. Her posture and build isn’t like, for example, Rarity, bit more like Princess Cadance. She is also slightly taller than others. The thing is, her mane flows.

07E38B12-A8E3-431B-8D78-42B1297AA500.jpeg.fbda3fec8d5bbee4cf71bc7e6dedcc4d.jpeg

Why, though? Could she have had a normal mane like Luna when she was small?

A0C29435-279A-48F1-8ACF-184400D4063B.jpeg.24c75b0070c6f1ae9d4485489185e460.jpegBFDEFCB1-A373-4471-8DFD-E10D57171F53.png.95fa274bbbea7de5221ad7fd7ad7234c.png66C9B153-EBAD-4DCF-87AE-7D340A7AA818.thumb.png.12d0151f3a509397d507a36c8febe3f0.png

Now her mane is like both Celestia and Luna. I’m not quite sure if her mane used to flow (fly) when she was small.

This may be a stupid question, but I’ve wondered why. Is she royal? Maybe some if you have theories.

Their tail flows too just like their mane too

8 minutes ago, Nosotros. said:

My guess is magic. Celestia and Luna both have powerful magic, and their manes flow. Mistmane is probably the same way! :) 

Same. The more powerful magic you have, the more physical attributions your magic will have on you. Though I also suspect that it has something to do with how kind and friendly the pony is too, or in other words, how pure and understanding the pony is. Think about it, Luna and Celestia both have flowing manes because they have powerful magic, but they're also some of the most fair and kind rulers in all the lands. Mistmane has powerful magic, but she also is extremely kind and generous, practically on the same level that the two sister rulers are at. This could also explain why Star Swirl doesn't have a flowing mane, as he was extremely powerful with magic, yet he lacked compassion and kindness towards others. 

Flowing manes are partly because of how magically powerful the pony is, but I also think it's partly because of how kind and fair the pony is too. :proud:  

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

Well, Mistmane has it because she was a powerful sorceress (she is to-date the only non-alicorn to have flowy hair). Celestia and Luna have it because it takes massive amounts of power to raise the sun and moon.