Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you want a full blown MLP fan movie to be done?

Plonkett

Let's say the fandom worked together and made a fan movie that would rival the official movie quality wise, also using Toon Boom Harmony, but being hand drawn instead of rigged. If there would be such a thing, what would you like it to have?

After watching the new Avengers: Infinity War trailer, I think it would be amazing if a full length fan movie had an epic scale. There would be humor, drama, action, adventure, emotion, suspense, intrigue, and some even darker scenes. Would have even more characters than in the official film, and not just having an original villain and at least one sub-villain, but also including Chrysalis.

I’d want it to be done well.

*ba dum tss!*:lol:

Edited by Nosotros.
You think I’d be capable of not making a grammar mistake in one sentence, but nooooo. :P
  • Brohoof 1

I would not want it done because it would likely just be a bunch of fan pandering and in-fandom reference jokes. Not to mention made by amateurs instead of professionals.

I think a fan-made MLP movie would be really cool, I honestly wouldn't mind all the fandom references because, well, I'm a member of the fandom! :grin:

I'm not sure having a lot of characters would be such a good thing though, as too many characters means that a lot of the characters won't get a lot of screen time, which makes their addition to the movie itself kinda pointless. Unless the movie was really really long, then I wouldn't recommend jamming the movie with tons and tons of characters. 

• Brohoof 2

I'd like it to be done as faithfully to the style of the show as possible. I wouldn't be against some fandom references being featured, but they shouldn't be used too much. Most importantly, I think the content should be hypothetically rated PG at most – no excessive violence or other content that would feel out of place in the show. Ideally, it could be considered as fitting the show canon (though it wouldn't officially, due to it being fan-created). As for using a lot of characters, it could work or not depending on how it's done. Crowd scenes would be a great opportunity to include show characters (even more obscure ones), but otherwise characters should only be included if there's a reason to do so – don't make them feel like appearances for appearance's sake, so no excessive focus on characters with no impact on the story. And I would like it to have no crossovers (except maybe in a few small ponified cameos of non-MLP characters) and to focus on the canon characters.

• Brohoof 4

I would like no fan characters to be created, no fandom references or stuff like that. I would like this movie to focus on this history and worldbuilding aspect of the mlp world and the princesses and their development to where they are today, aswell as Chrysalis, Discord, Sombra, and Tirek too. Maybe find a way to tie them all together in a way that would make sense. Little comedy as I could care less about that. I would like no single mention or sight of the mane 6 in this movie, at all. As it would take place before their time. Parents maybe.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Key Sharkz said:

I would not want it done because it would likely just be a bunch of fan pandering and in-fandom reference jokes. Not to mention made by amateurs instead of professionals.

I'm sure there are plenty of writers in the fandom who are into making engaging stories. like for example, there's the comic Recall the Time.

Heh, if I the fanmade episode project I'm trying to start actually takes off, there might actually be something like this eventually.  I mean, I already have a plot for at least one movie.

I'd want a movie to stay close to the show's style, obviously, though being an older fandom that we are, I think slightly more dark themes would be acceptable.

I think if there were no memes blantantly refrenced, no OC’s were main characters and if it was actually funny, the movie would be okay.

I also want it to be done with this cameo:

C34E2C29-BBA2-43E9-82FC-14856A19F363.png

People within the fandom are talented enough to make quality animations, of this I have no doubt - the fandom is in abundance with those.

My concern would be if such a project would be written well.

The problem is that a lot of the writers within the fandom don't take audience in mind (and when they do, it's only through the aforementioned pandering). This makes sense as most fan creations are just wish fulfillment, but if you're going to devote so much time and energy to a fan-film, it'd seem a waste to make it sub-par in the writing department.

Double Rainboom exemplifies the fears that I have. A lot of it is just random memes and jokes that date it horribly, and it also warps the personalities of the characters it depicts for the sake of having its premise work. It's not the worst fan thing I've ever seen, but it's evident that the writing wasn't proofread that thoroughly, and it doesn't really represent the spirit of the show.

There's a certain tone that the show goes for, and I'll be honest when I say I don't think a lot of fan works actually play upon that tone.

• 2 years later...