Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things You Actually Like About Characters You Dislike

Castle Bleck

Gabby: I am glad that she isn't just a hardass like most of the griffons which at least breaks the mold, but sadly she is the other extreme of super perfect goody two shoes which is why I don't like her.

Zephyr Breeze: I like the feminine aspects to his personality. That's about it.

Pony of Shadows: I love his design and concept, but his execution pales in comparison. 

That's all I can think of at the moment. I will edit this post once I think of more.

Marble Pie has a cute character design.

Hayseed Turnip Truck having his attempt to impress Rarity in the comics be ruined by Spike was pretty funny.

Seeing Garble suffer in Gauntlet of Fire was also pretty funny.

The scene in Slice of Life where obnoxious gay sterotype Steven Magnet sacrificed his mustache to give Cranky a wig was sweet.

Edited by cmarston1

(edited)

Suri Polomare: Played by Tabitha St. Germain (e.g. -- Rarity, Luna, and Derpy).

Svengallop: Looks like Kristoph Gavin from Ace Attorney.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:21 PM, Kyoshi said:

Zephyr Breeze: I like the feminine aspects to his personality. That's about it.

And the fact that he does try to improve at the end -- even if he was intolerable for most of the episode.

Edited by A.V.

@A.V. 

Well, by your definition, there's really no character I particularly dislike; they all serve their purpose.

I supposed I'll give "Gladmare" his Elvis-like attitude he uses as a facade.

1 minute ago, A.V. said:

Suri Polomare: Is played by Tabitha St. Germain (e.g.: Rarity, Luna, and Derpy).

Svengallop: Looks like Kristoph Gavin from Ace Attorney.

And the fact that [Zephyr Breeze] does try to improve at the end -- even if he was intolerable for most of the episode.

Svengallop_ID_S5E24.png.5e4d92a6cd94e5e0176467dfe2b6412e.pngKristoph_Gavin_Portrait.png.e50927644d0576deea6c288695920b57.png

Yeah, I can see it.

And that thing about Zephyr Breeze is precisely the reason I'll always defend him from People who claim "there's Absolutely nothing good about him." That claim is false.

Flash Sentry: In Legend of Everfree, he showed legit characterization and growth.

Zephyr Breeze: He overcame his fear of failure by himself and worked to self-improve after returning to school.

Sunset Shimmer: Her personality from Forgotten Friendship feels a lot more like a continuation of growth rather than a full-on reset. Her temper and ego are present here.

Spoiled Rich: I like how she got embarrassed by her own daughter in front of Cheerilee and her classmates. :P

Chrysalis: Her design is fascinating.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Flash Sentry: In Legend of Everfree, he showed legit characterization and growth.

Zephyr Breeze: He overcame his fear of failure by himself and worked to self-improve after returning to school.

Sunset Shimmer: Her personality from Forgotten Friendship feels a lot more like a continuation of growth rather than a full-on reset. Her temper and ego are present here.

Spoiled Rich: I like how she got embarrassed by her own daughter in front of Cheerilee and her classmates. :P

Chrysalis: Her design is fascinating.

I agree with most of this, especially Zephyr Breeze.

The one thing I have to disagree with you is that implication that Sunset was "reset"

Sunset stlll had her temper in Rainbow Rocks; she did angrily scream at Trixie backstage, after all. There was no full-on reset to her at all.

Edited by We.
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, We. said:

Sunset stlll had her temper in Rainbow Rocks; she did angrily scream at Trixie backstage, after all. There was no full-on reset to her at all.

I totally forgot about that. "Forgotten Friendship" did way more with that than any of the movies, though. 

ANYway:

Juniper Montage: cute character design. 

Svengallop: neat character design. 

Moondancer: Her nervousness about opening up to people is sympathetic. 

Starlight Glimmer: The continuity with her villainous self is fascinating, and her self-doubt is sympathetic. 

Tempest Shadow: Sympathetic backstory. 

Starswirl the Bearded: Was funny in the comics. 

Flash Sentry: Almost had a personality in one of those Friendship Games shorts. Wish those movies had emphasized his musical interests more. 

Timber Spruce: Damn good at flirting. 

The only two characters I really hate in the show now are the Cake babies and Spoiled Rich.
But, I've got nothing good to say about the Cake Babies.

Spoiled Rich: She has an interesting design.

Diamond Tiara: She helped develop the character of the CMC. Can't think of anything else whatsoever.

Scootaloo: When she's not being Rainbow Dash 2.0, she's actually a decent character.

Snips: He can be pretty funny at times.

Maud Pie: I sort of like her dry sense of humor.

(edited)
On 3/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, We. said:

And that thing about Zephyr Breeze is precisely the reason I'll always defend him from People who claim "there's Absolutely nothing good about him." That claim is false.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the result of Dash's wrath on him, though:

:lol:

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Panzy, Scoffer of Rings said:

The only two characters I really hate in the show now are the Cake babies and Spoiled Rich.
But, I've got nothing good to say about the Cake Babies.

Spoiled Rich: She has an interesting design.

What about Flurry Heart? Since you mentioned the babies.

Edited by We.

6 hours ago, We. said:

The one thing I have to disagree with you is that implication that Sunset was "reset"

Except Sunset’s temper isn’t what set down the path to becoming a villain, her ambition, ego, and manipulative nature did, and none of those make an reappearance in her character until Forgotten Friendship. She had a temper in EQG, yes, but it wasn’t the driving flaw behind her character.

Let me put it this way; imagine if after Starlight had been redeemed, all of the negative parts of her character that drove her down a dark path were removed. Her bitterness and anger, her manipulation, her self centeredness, and her anxiety, all of them poof, gone. But she still occasionally told lies, and when people criticized her sudden turn around, her fans jump up and say, ‘no, look, she still has her flaws, she’s not perfect, she didn’t get reset!’

But even than, Sunset’s temper is never used as a method of character growth. It’s always either completely pointless, like yelling at Trixie, or completely justified, like when she lost it at SciTwi. At least in Forgotten Friendship she comes off looking somewhat bad by yelling at Microchips just because he’s scared of her, but just like with Trixie, nothing comes of it, and if you cut it out of the special, nothing changes.

Oh, I somehow forgot, even though I really liked it. Forgotten Friendship does have the first instance her temper has a realistic consequence, when Wallflower wipes her memory and locks her in the yearbook room.

Uhh... anyways. 

Zephyr Breeze does learn his lesson at the end, but I would have still liked it if he helped fix his dad’s cloud collection and mom’s garden.

When Fluttershy’s assertiveness isn’t a feature of the episode, she’s generally very entertaining, and in the case of last season, even inspirational.

I feel like I’d have a lot more to say if this was about negative things about characters you like, I like way more characters than I dislike.

Edited by ShootingStar159

3 hours ago, We. said:

What about Flurry Heart? Since you mentioned the babies.

Nah, Flurry Heart's okay. She wasn't as nearly annoying as the Cake Babies.

Thorax- He is a possible hurdle for Chrysalis to overcome and retake her throne, while at the same time being the most realistic and feels inducing reformation to date

I hate him because he turned one of the coolest species and arguably the most 'human' races into discount store ponies while

Starlight- She brings out the best in Trixie (best pony) and has such a deep possibility for depth as a character, she also has the chance to allow our story to come full circle with Starlight becoming an alicorn and allowing her to take Twilight's place in a beautiful ending with her own group of friends. she also helped set the stage for a Chrysalis reformation

my hate for her comes from her VERY rushed reformation and the fact that she literally tore everything away from Chrysalis, her people, her power, her dignity and her people's badassery