Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is MLP a bit too stacked now, when it comes to the character roster?

Mesme Rize

5 minutes ago, SkyPie said:

Yes, definitely. Believe me, I love a new character now and then, like back in season 1 and 2, but this is just too much. And now they're overloading with 5 more characters in the season 7 finale, excluding Starswirl because we already know him. 

Well those 5 characters from S7 Finale are unlikely to appear in a major role right at the start. 

Cool your jets. Everyone will get a chance to shine.

59 minutes ago, We. said:

Well those 5 characters from S7 Finale are unlikely to appear in a major role right at the start. 

Cool your jets. Everyone will get a chance to shine.

Well on top of that none of the pillars were actually introduced to the series in Shadow Play, we got to meet Rockhoof, Mistmane, and Flash Magnus in Campfire Tales, Somnambula in Daring Done, and Meadowbrook in A Health of Information (not counting previous name drops of these characters). So we already knew all of the characters prior to the season 7 finale.

Though I do think it is a little off from a writing standpoint to introduce 7 new characters and then introduce 6 new major characters int he very next episode. Not that I have much issue with it and the pillars were never going to join the main...side cast or whatever, but I can see why some people would find it off-putting. 

All the Pillars left to go visit other bits of Equestria again though; I doubt we will see that much of them in S8, although given the shipping opportunities with the Mane 6 in some cases, I am sure some fans will be clamoring for more interactions.

In any case, more focus on secondary characters (especially the royal sisters! - The comics have Luna+Spike and Celestia+Spike examples that would be good as episodes) isn't a bad thing - most of the Mane 6 are now established in their careers (with Rarity in particular overworked maintaining her various business outlets) so could justifiably be doing less episode-wise, and a CMC finale would be awesome too :)

I don't see why they needed the student six. I mean we had six great secondary characters to work with. Including Starlight, Trixie, Discord, Spike, Zecora, and Gilda. They are all fan favorites (sans two) that could stand to be fleshed out and could probably have a good dynamic.

First episode of season 8 was too ambitious in my opinion. But I wouldn't blame it all on adding the new characters, most of it was a flood of new information and ideas that hadn't have enough time to be digested when a new idea came along.

Second episode did a great job at adding flesh to the new characters (student six) while working with a less overwhelming plot.

I think the writers have set the table in the premiere, so the rest of the season can manage the main and new characters without stacking them as much as they needed to do in the first two episodes.

About the pillars, I also think they will still be side characters at the level of Daring Do (appearing once or twice in the season at most).

5 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Given fanfics like Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory, I can see why the wouldn't.

Hasbro are sticklers for ensuring that their IPs are handled in the way they want them to be.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Mesme Rize said:

I just recently started to catch up on info about season 8, since it now starts this saturday and it got me really thinking, especially with the stuff i have already seen of the premiere.

Are we at a point where the character roster is just too big for it's own good? We have alot of fans for various different characters that are in the show now and have been in the show at one point. After the season 7 finale, we got 6 new characters that have come forth and now with the school of friendship being opened, we have seen a bunch of potential new characters coming forth.

I know it's silly to think to please everybody, because it's just not possible. But alot of people have already requested the return of some fan favorites from the past and now with all these new characters coming it will be extremly hard to put them in a way, that the stories will still be good.

I don't say Season 8 will be the worst ever, but it got me thinking.

What do you think?

Shows that expand their cast do this at times, because there just so much you can do that centers around the main cast of characters.  So wither you like or you don't, this is done to shake things up and give other characters (mostly new ones) a chance to shine.

Personally, I don't mind having a large, colorful (see what I did there) cast of characters as it can really help expand the world and give a brief glimpse into new ideas and personalities outside of just the mane 6. Yeah, we would always want more screen time for our favorite ponies but we should be happy we got them at all. Development can only go so far for the main cast before we start feeling like they are retreading old ground. For that note by itself, I'm happy to see new characters come share the spotlight and watch those characters help bring out the best from our main cast.

Coming from a Star Wars fan, Trekkie, and Whovian ... this show hasn't even scratched the surface of what I consider too many characters. Not even close. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes and No.

My little pony is a show with a lot of world  building, so getting to meet a wide array of characters throughout and beyond Equestria is a chance to see more of this magical place. Although some readjustment should be made I think. Starlight's "Our Town" is in a desert region that is far north surrounded by lush green hills and icy mountains when we already have a large dessert region with vast empty spaces, but that's a separate issue.

Spoiler

At the same time, we have a lot of characters now, and most have been one shots so far. Some have returned, but they can do better at this I think. The best example that comes to mind is Flim and Flam who've played a large role in 3 episodes, and Trixie who is a regular now that I think about it. Maybe with season 8 and those that proceed it, the friendship diary could be replaced by reports written by the students of Twilight's School and on occasion they interact with past characters.

Well, i think it we're too many characters already since S4. I think expanding the world and exploring possible characters living in is just what the show needs. At least it's what i like! ^^