Altastrofae

General What Is Your Religion?

5 minutes ago, DJ_Bonebraker said:

I am a Christian.  I'm also openly & unashamedly bi-gender & bisexual (but with a definite preferance for women).  Needless to say this is not an easy path to walk, but I walk it because I believe it to be the truth, and that part of the purpose God has for me here is to get out the work that He does not, in fact, hate gays & that most of the bile that people who claim to follow him is being taken out of historical & social context (I discovered this as part of the process of finally coming to terms with being bi-gender & very rarely attracted to guys, which involved a lot of historical & anthropological research into the contemporary cultures of the middle east & Mediterranean areas at the times both the old & new testaments were written).  

Part of the reason why I didn't just abandon my faith was because I know it's ultimately true, even if certain people pervert it beyond belief, due to the fact that God directly intervened to stop me from killing myself some 16 years ago, so if He didn't exist, I wouldn't either right now.  I can understand why some people would be skeptical or dismissive of my reasons, and I respect that, nor will I judge anyone else or try to force my beliefs on them:  First of all, one of Jesus' direct commandments says that we are not to judge, because only God is worthy to do so, and secondly, you have to believe in your heart as well as confess with your mouth that Jesus is the savior to be saved, and you can't accomplish the first part by coercion, so it's pointless to even try...

I also personally believe that Biblical Literal-ism, which is unfortunately widespread these days, particularly among the more fundamentalist denominations, is not only the wrong approach in certain cases (such as the whole creation story in Genesis, which if looked at from an allegorical perspective, actually checks out with the current model for how the universe came into existence, right up to following the general order in which life evolved), and is downright dangerous if done at all without studying the historical & contemporary cultural contexts in which the Bible was written.  I mean I had a guy I know at work trying to claim that the world is actually flat, based on a hyper-literal interpretation of a few verses, which were obviously meant to be taken figuratively, based on the context, and even using a hyper-literal interpretation to come to the conclusion that the earth is flat (despite all the scientific evidence) is pushing it....

@Thuja:  I tend to agree with you on the whole "at least learning about many different faiths" thing:  I actually came to my own beliefs at around the age of 13 after studying everything from ancient Greek/Roman polytheism to Buddhism (or at least what materials were available where I live) & concluded that Christianity, absent of all the ritualistic stuff that various churches added onto it over the years, made the most sense of all of them (although Buddhism came in as a fairly close second, but certain aspects of it just didn't jive with me).  I've since had many interesting and even enlightening conversations with practicing Buddhists of various sects (I actually ran into a Buddhist Nun in Virginia who was surprised that I recognized who Kannon/Guanyin was), Hindus, and even Japanese Shinto priests, and many times, the extra perspective I gained by discussing matters of faith with them helped me understand aspects of my own better.  Hell, the regular gaming crew I hung out with when I was stationed in Virginia was a pretty mixed bag, religion-wise:  We had two Christians (including one who was an ex-Satanist), a Wiccan, a Druid and an Agnostic.

I find your experience quite interesting. I'd say that's pretty good evidence that a god(s), divine beings, or spirit beings exist. I once spoke to an angel, and also to a proclaimed angelkin, who had the soul of an angel. Their vibration was crazy high. Apparently they have pure white aura. I just have occasional flashes of white, but this was solid white, strangest thing I ever did see

Roman Catholic. And still practicing, I feel the need to clarify.

2 minutes ago, Thuja said:

Well for me, I had a traditional healer give me my name.  I think that was the best thing I've done in years to be honest.  She came to visit my rez when I was living there so it seemed like a good idea at the time.  She also told me my spirit colours so that made me pretty happy too! :D

I never trrusted someone else to soultap me. 'cept this one time, they were a trusted friend though. Also, the only place I know to find your name is inside yourself or the Akashic Records, and supposedly, you can't read someone else's book. Don't know why, that's just what they told me. I didn't really think to ask. At the time I took it to be self explanatory, but after I left, I couldn't think of a good reason

1 minute ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I find your experience quite interesting. I'd say that's pretty good evidence that a god(s), divine beings, or spirit beings exist. I once spoke to an angel, and also to a proclaimed angelkin, who had the soul of an angel. Their vibration was crazy high. Apparently they have pure white aura. I just have occasional flashes of white, but this was solid white, strangest thing I ever did see

Well, for most of my early formative years, my parents were anti-religious.  Not to say they didn't believe in God:  My mom still believed in God, despite years of abuse by the Catholic Church, but she no longer trusted organized religion, and my dad was more of a general Theist:  he believed that all the different religions in the world were just different aspects of the true creator god, but were mostly just excuses for rich & powerful people to control and/or kill other people, so he didn't trust organized religion either (my one uncle still believes that way).  However, about the same time as my own spiritual journey, which started when I had an epiphany when I declared to this kind, elderly Mennonite woman (who passed away not all that long ago in her mid-90's) that I wasn't "one of those self-righteous hypocrites who go to church" only to immediately realize that I was being self-righteous about not following any organized religions and therefore, was a hypocrite as well.  This same Mennonite lady also helped renew my mom's faith, and my brother ended up becoming a Christian not long after I did, and long story short, by the time both my brother & I graduated high school, my dad converted as well (after doing pretty much what I did)... 

So I guess you could say that I was in a rather unique situation growing up, particularly since I didn't have anyone trying to force any kind of religious beliefs on me.  Of course, this is also why I don't trust blind faith (of any kind:  I have an atheist friend who is a strong atheist who agrees with me on the point of not trusting anyone who is at either a 1 or 7 on the Dawkins Scale, since people who are that adamantly sure that god(s) exist or don't exist is likely to be very closed-minded and/or extremist), and try to keep a hawk-like eye on established religious institutions.  Heck, the main reason I chose & stick with the church I joined is because it's about as decentralized & dogma-free as an established religion can get... My dad even has gone so far as to point out that, aside from not being atheist (for obvious reasons), the way our church is structured is about as close to a working version of Marx's ideal communist society as you're going to find in real life...

14 hours ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I never trrusted someone else to soultap me. 'cept this one time, they were a trusted friend though. Also, the only place I know to find your name is inside yourself or the Akashic Records, and supposedly, you can't read someone else's book. Don't know why, that's just what they told me. I didn't really think to ask. At the time I took it to be self explanatory, but after I left, I couldn't think of a good reason

It's just how things are done in my culture, they are special people that can do this sort of thing.  It's pretty much their job in the tribe to do so, you know?  These people are meant to guide us along our own paths whether it be spiritually or not.  Also, my people don't believe in the Akashic Records so there really isn't any faux pas in someone else giving you your spirit name and colours.  Some spirits are ancient while others are young,they are very weak or they are very strong.  I believe that there is a spirit realm and our plane of existence, spirits inhabit our bodies and when we die, they return to the spirit realm to embark on a journey but they always come back to this plane.  Healers are more in touch with the spirit realm and they know a lot more about the people they help than those actually getting the help realize.  They are meant to guide us along our individual paths and help heal our wounds to the best of their abilities, whether they be physical or spiritual, it really depends on the person they're seeing.

1 hour ago, Thuja said:

It's just how things are done in my culture, they are special people that can do this sort of thing.  It's pretty much their job in the tribe to do so, you know?  These people are meant to guide us along our own paths whether it be spiritually or not.  Also, my people don't believe in the Akashic Records so there really isn't any faux pas in someone else giving you your spirit name and colours.  Some spirits are ancient while others are young,they are very weak or they are very strong.  I believe that there is a spirit realm and our plane of existence, spirits inhabit our bodies and when we die, they return to the spirit realm to embark on a journey but they always come back to this plane.  Healers are more in touch with the spirit realm and they know a lot more about the people they help than those actually getting the help realize.  They are meant to guide us along our individual paths and help heal our wounds to the best of their abilities, whether they be physical or spiritual, it really depends on the person they're seeing.

I'm technically supposed to be a strong healer, but I never know how to act around people, so it's kinda useless... Once I filled the room with positive energy by accident, but only because I felt a bunch of energy I didn't like, some guys were being racist to a girl I knew. I felt her energy, and she seemed uncomfortable, so I said something, released a bunch of positive energy, and she later thanked me for it. This was early on in my journey tho, so I didn't even know that's what I did until later, but I can't do that anymore. I can't just feel people like that. I mean, I can, but I guess I don't know what to do about it? I just have some social issues, people aren't my forte right now...

Edited by CrystalBloodMoon

On 4/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I'm technically supposed to be a strong healer, but I never know how to act around people, so it's kinda useless... Once I filled the room with positive energy by accident, but only because I felt a bunch of energy I didn't like, some guys were being racist to a girl I knew. I felt her energy, and she seemed uncomfortable, so I said something, released a bunch of positive energy, and she later thanked me for it. This was early on in my journey tho, so I didn't even know that's what I did until later, but I can't do that anymore. I can't just feel people like that. I mean, I can, but I guess I don't know what to do about it? I just have some social issues, people aren't my forte right now...

That's the most creative way of confessing to farting I've ever seen :lol:

Edited by omgamapwny
  • Brohoof 1
  • Yay 1

Christian forever baby!!

Specifically, I’m Baptist/Southern Baptist.

On 4/2/2018 at 6:23 PM, Moondancer is best said:

Roman Catholic same as Christ 

... What?

Jesus was a Jew.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Badges

5 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Christian forever baby!!

Specifically, I’m Baptist/Southern Baptist.

... What?

Jesus was a Jew.

EXACTLY!

I didn't want to say anything, but I'm glad you did :adorkable:

The Roman Catholic Church wasn't founded until the after the European kingdoms actually formed o3o

On 3/20/2018 at 12:25 AM, Will Guide said:

I don't believe in a God that automatically and irredeemablely sends homosexuals to Hell. That's the interpretation of Him that I won't agree with.

God is supposed to be the God of Love and Peace who loves His Children no matter who They love.

I agree with you!

I am a Christian...I believe in God and in accepting and loving everyone, no matter what they themselves believe in, no matter their sexuality, etc. 

Badges

Atheist. I want nothing to do with religion of any stripe.