Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Was Lunas imprisonment pointless?

Unity

So I sort of talked about this in another one of my posts but there was just so much more that popped into my head.

So I have a few questions as well as comments about Luna/Nightmare Moons imprisonment.

First of all, was it Luna or Nightmare Moon who was truly banished. I'm not sure if Luna and Nightmare Moon are technically  the same Pony or not. So was Luna or Nightmare Moon banished? I knoe that they came back as Nightmare Moon but was it truly Luna or Nightmare Moon who served the time in captivity? Also, going into my first point. Wasn't Their Banishement pretty much pointless? I mean it seems like 1000 years didn't really change anything for Nightmare Moon.

Why did Celestia not Purify Luna as we see she had the tools to do so, and I'm pretty sure that Celestia didn't need the help of the Mane 6 because I thought that Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to Banish her in the first place.

And I sort of asked this already, but if it was Nightmare Moon then do you think that Luna's conscence was present( I guess you could say). 

I just feel like Celestia could have handled them alot better, but maybe she was just waiting for the right catalyst being the Mane 6.

Also were Luna and Discord banished at the same time?

@donttellmum

First of all, good work on the paragraph spacing. Now I was able to follow.

Now, Discord was taken care of before Luna became Nightmare Moon no more than several months apart. S4's Premiere shows that in a Flashback.

Plus it took Both Celestia AND Luna to use the Elements of Harmony on Discord. In a flashback from the same episode, we see how  Luna became Nightmare Moon (yes they are one and the same)

Luna.png.194a34f8dad9e5e5b1bde0ac3be4796e.png

She went from this to this out of Jealousy

5ab1bf32b9b09_NightmareMoon.png.420cadce4bb99b31b849575c8f03369c.png

When that happened, the sisters' connection to the Elements of Harmony was weakened so the best the Elements could do was put Nightmare in a place where she couldn't cause trouble: Inside the moon.

5ab1c00b8cd99_MareintheMoon.jpg.aaa64a8b3e3ee3b080d152a36112f99b.jpg

It took so much power form the Elements being used by Celestia alone that 5 of the Elements turned to stone as they're discovered in the 2nd overall episode, while the Element of Magic disappeared. 

Since the EOH connection was lost, somehow Celestia learned that the Elements would need new bearers to use them and it turns out to be Twilight and her new friends. Only once that happened could the Elements be used to their full power again to restore Luna from being Nightmare Moon. When she was restored, she was changed to look like this (some kind of weaker form that Luna can recover from with time):

5ab1bf17b11e1_RestoredLuna.png.7ffc94f9fee90d9287813a05beb1197e.png

It wouldn't be until Season 2 when she'd finally show up looking like her regular self again.

Does that make sense? 

Edited by We.
Bolding my points
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
15 minutes ago, We. said:

@donttellmum

First of all, good work on the paragraph spacing. Now I was able to follow.

Now, Discord was taken care of before Luna became Nightmare Moon. S4's Premiere shows that in a Flashback.

Plus it took Both Celestia AND Luna to use the Elements of Harmony on Discord. In a flashback from the same episode, we see how  Luna became Nightmare Moon (yes they are one and the same)

Luna.png.194a34f8dad9e5e5b1bde0ac3be4796e.png

She went from this to this out of Jealousy

5ab1bf32b9b09_NightmareMoon.png.420cadce4bb99b31b849575c8f03369c.png

When that happened, the sisters' connection to the Elements of Harmony was weakened so the best the Elements could do was put Nightmare in a place where she couldn't cause trouble: Inside the moon.

5ab1c00b8cd99_MareintheMoon.jpg.aaa64a8b3e3ee3b080d152a36112f99b.jpg

It took so much power form the Elements being used by Celestia alone that 5 of the Elements turned to stone as they're discovered in the 2nd overall episode, while the Element of Magic disappeared. 

Since the EOH connection was lost, somehow Celestia learned that the Elements would need new bearers to use them and it turns out to be Twilight and her new friends. Only once that happened could the Elements be used to their full power again to restore Luna from being Nightmare Moon. When she was restored, she was changed to look like this (some kind of weaker form that Luna can recover from with time):

5ab1bf17b11e1_RestoredLuna.png.7ffc94f9fee90d9287813a05beb1197e.png

It wouldn't be until Season 2 when she'd finally show up looking like her regular self again.

Does that make sense? 

Yes it does make sense.

But does that mean that Luna was conscious for the imprisonment, or was it Nightmare Moon?

I'm not the best at grasping how Conscious works when you have transformed into something else. But does that mean that that Luna  just pretty much turned evil, or does it mean that Nightmare Moon is their own evil embodiment.

And do you think that that made her imprisonment pointless?

Edited by donttellmum

Just now, donttellmum said:

Yes it does make sense.

But does that mean that Luna was conscious for the imprisonment, or was it Nightmare Moon?

I'm not the best at grasping how Conscious works when you have transformed into something else. But does that mean that that Luna  just pretty much turned evil, or does it mean that Nightmare Moon is their own evil embodiment.

First of all, how deep are you in the show. I don't want to spoilers episodes you haven't seen yet? Depending on your answer, I could safely remind you more about Luna that gives better clarity on that question.

But yes most fans agree that Luna did turned Evil and decided to call herself Nightmare Moon!

8 minutes ago, We. said:

First of all, how deep are you in the show. I don't want to spoilers episodes you haven't seen yet? Depending on your answer, I could safely remind you more about Luna that gives better clarity on that question.

But yes most fans agree that Luna did turned Evil and decided to call herself Nightmare Moon!

I'm about 8 episodes away from the end of S7 but I'm savoring it.

I ration my episodes to few a week.

And does that mean that Luna was actually there for 1000 years, and not just like sleeping right? I know I have asked this a bunch but was Luna present( I guess you could say) for the imprisonment or was she pretty much sleeping.

1 minute ago, donttellmum said:

I'm about 8 episodes away from the end of S7 but I'm savoring it.

I ration my episodes to few a week.

Oh good. I'll tell you a bit more.

Remember S5: "Does Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep"? Where Luna, the Mane 6 and the rest of Ponyville had to deal with a creature that spreads through nightmares like a virus, The Tatabus? Luna created that thing out of guilt to punish herself for what she nearly did as Nightmare Moon: plunging Equestria into an eternal night. Of course, she learned to let go of the past, and so the Tatabus was defeated. So yeah Luna and Nightmare Moon were indeed one and the same.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, We. said:

Oh good. I'll tell you a bit more.

Remember S5: "Does Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep"? Where Luna, the Mane 6 and the rest of Ponyville had to deal with a creature that spreads through nightmares like a virus, The Tatabus? Luna created that thing out of guilt to punish herself for what she nearly did as Nightmare Moon: plunging Equestria into an eternal night. Of course, she learned to let go of the past, and so the Tatabus was defeated. So yeah Luna and Nightmare Moon were indeed one and the same.

So on the bright side(still grim) Luna didn't feel like her punishment was too harsh if she is willing to create a creature just to punish herself.

Also, I know it' unlikely that Anyone knows what it's like to be trapped inside the moon but do you think that it was sort of just being trapped there not being able to move with just your thoughts kind of thing?

Just now, donttellmum said:

So on the bright side(still grim) Luna didn't feel like her punishment was too harsh if she is willing to create a creature just to punish herself.

Also, I know it' unlikely that Anyone knows what it's like to be trapped inside the moon but do you think that it was sort of just being trapped there not being able to move with just your thoughts kind of thing?

Personally, I like to think Nightmare Moon was at least aware that she would return. She even said "Didn't you see the signs [of my return]". And in one possible answer, the de-fictionalized version of the Sisters Journal (written by Amy Keating Rogers) hinted that she learned how to move the stars while she was still Luna. Which must have been how she ultimately escaped: Moving the stars closer and closer as Twilight's first night in Ponyville went on until her shadow on the Moon vanished and she'd reappear in physical form again. ("On the longest day of the 1000th year, the stars shall aid in her escape and she'll bring nighttime eternal")

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, We. said:

Personally, I like to think Nightmare Moon was at least aware that she would return. She even said "Didn't you see the signs [of my return]". And in one possible answer, the de-fictionalized version of the Sisters Journal (written by Amy Keating Rogers) hinted that she learned how to move the stars while she was still Luna. Which must have been how she ultimately escaped: Moving the stars closer and closer as Twilight's first night in Ponyville went on until her shadow on the Moon vanished and she'd reappear in physical form again. ("On the longest day of the 1000th year, the stars shall aid in her escape and she'll bring nighttime eternal")

So it was more of a battling inner demons thing right?

Banishing Nightmare Moon to the moon wasn't pointless. It contained the danger until a pony was born that wouldn't just be powerful enough to destroy Nightmare Moon, but  powerful enough, with her friends to REDEEM Luna from the misery of what she had become. That was worth the price of one thousand years of imprisonment.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Banishing Nightmare Moon to the moon wasn't pointless. It contained the danger until a pony was born that wouldn't just be powerful enough to destroy Nightmare Moon, but  powerful enough, with her friends to REDEEM Luna from the misery of what she had become. That was worth the price of one thousand years of imprisonment.

That's what I meant

On 21/03/2018 at 1:50 AM, donttellmum said:

So I sort of talked about this in another one of my posts but there was just so much more that popped into my head.

So I have a few questions as well as comments about Luna/Nightmare Moons imprisonment.

First of all, was it Luna or Nightmare Moon who was truly banished. I'm not sure if Luna and Nightmare Moon are technically  the same Pony or not. So was Luna or Nightmare Moon banished? I knoe that they came back as Nightmare Moon but was it truly Luna or Nightmare Moon who served the time in captivity? Also, going into my first point. Wasn't Their Banishement pretty much pointless? I mean it seems like 1000 years didn't really change anything for Nightmare Moon.

Why did Celestia not Purify Luna as we see she had the tools to do so, and I'm pretty sure that Celestia didn't need the help of the Mane 6 because I thought that Celestia used the Elements of Harmony to Banish her in the first place.

And I sort of asked this already, but if it was Nightmare Moon then do you think that Luna's conscence was present( I guess you could say). 

I just feel like Celestia could have handled them alot better, but maybe she was just waiting for the right catalyst being the Mane 6.

Also were Luna and Discord banished at the same time?

In season 1, as far as we knew Nightmare Moon attempted to wipe out all life on the planet by freezing everyone to death and creating the mother of all famines under eternal night. That seems not to be the case anymore for some reason, somehow plants can still grow in the darkness nor is everyone freezing to death. Nonetheless, it still doesn't make what she did right.

Also it appears the elements of harmony are not as powerful if wielded by a single user.

Edited by Bendy

They should have subdued her in a reinforced cell and flogged her masochistic ass until she's no longer afflicted.

Also, you don't need a thousand years to find a group of deadbeats to wield your shiny friendship badges. It could have been done in less than a week. Though, I still prefer the flogging option. Hmm, why not both?!

Nope. Cause it gave Celestia a millennium to reunite, rebuild and reinforce Equestria for the return of it's coup de tat starting, rebel insurrectionist. 

Whether there actually was a plan in place during those 1000 years will judge if it was all pointless or not. 

• 2 years later...