Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A small query.

smk.png

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony

twilight-sparkle

How did you find MLP Forums?

Friend.

How you became a fan of My Little Pony

How do I tell my parents I like MLP? Thanks for the help.

• Brohoof 1

What I did to tell my mom I was a Brony was I didn't tell her right off the bat. I actually bought pony posters first, and then slowly bought more and more pony merch, until she asked me what show all the merch was from, I told her MLP and that it was a pretty good show. Each time I would buy more merch and she questioned me about it, I just told her more and more about the show and the fandom. I kinda spoon-fed her information about the show and fandom over a period of time, until she stopped asking me about the show because she knew everything that she wanted to know about it, and she knew that I was a fan. 

Basically what you want to do is not overwhelm your parents and tell them right off the bat that your a Brony, just buy a few small pony figurines, and then overtime as you become more comfortable you can watch the show itself in front of them, just make it very casual, and tell them it's just a TV show you really like. Give them little hints and bits of information about the show over a period of time, as to ease them into the knowledge that your a Brony and watch MLP, personally I think the best way to tell anyone anything is over a period of time and very normally and casually too. 

This worked for me, though telling people your a Brony does vary by a case-by-case basis, so really just do what you feel like would be best. Above all, just don't make a big deal about "Coming out as a Brony", because once you make it a big deal, it can scare your parents and really derail everything. Being a Brony isn't a big deal, so don't make it seem like it is especially when telling your parents for the first time. :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, The_Dank_Brony said:

How do I tell my parents I like MLP? Thanks for the help.

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony: twilight-sparkle
How did you find MLP Forums?: Friend.
How you became a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic:

First off how old are you?

Second is telling your parents your liking of a tv show important to you in a way?

it’s rather unnecessary and it’s likely they may not care if you like it anyway. I told mine some years ago but I felt like even if I never told them id think it would have affected anything in my life. If you want to tell them tell them, however it’s best to just tell them if they ask imo.

• Brohoof 1

One thing to point out - when you tell them you like My Little Pony, mention you like the new one. For a lot of people, especially older one, MLP equals the G3 version which, as I understand, tends to be root of My Little Pony's negative reputation.

• Brohoof 1

Do your parents already know and accept that you like cartoons? If so, then just act like you normally would when you like an animated show: buy the merchandise and watch it out in the open in the living room.

If they think it’s odd, point out that they don’t seem to have a problem with other cartoons. What you wanna do when someone thinks watching MLP is weird is make THEM feel like the weirdo for even considering it strange. Like seriously, give them that utterly confused look like the idea that it was odd never even crossed your mind.

”Isn’t this for little girls?” ”No more than any other cartoon on tv is.”

”But it’s so girly/feminine/frilly?” ”What you mean the horses and bright colors? Didn’t realize women had exclusive dibs on those things.”

”What could possibly be interesting about it?” “DUDE... Flying purple unicorn princess in giant laser battle against a 50ft centaur demon... what ISN'T interesting about that?”

• Brohoof 1

I think @King of Canterlot nailed it. That’s how I told my mom. My dad still hasn’t caught on, but he should soon. ;) 

If you make a big deal about it, then they will too. If you treat it like it is- just you watching a really good cartoon- then they’ll probably have no problem with it.

Edit: Also, this post shouldn’t be in the welcoming plaza. I think a mod will move it to sugarcube corner soon, since it’s a question involving the brony fandom in some way. ;) 

Edited by Nosotros.

• 2 years later...

Start sending them funny MLP pictures (or just show them) or find something else small. I didn’t have to tell my parents I was a Brony cause they already knew but I did have to do this method for FNAF. Basically, as you introduce stuff, educate them a little so they know why it is you like MLP. Just start talking about the friendship lessons and your favorite characters, you know, something that makes MLP sound good. 

On 3/22/2018 at 10:15 PM, King of Canterlot said:

What I did to tell my mom I was a Brony was I didn't tell her right off the bat. I actually bought pony posters first, and then slowly bought more and more pony merch, until she asked me what show all the merch was from, I told her MLP and that it was a pretty good show. Each time I would buy more merch and she questioned me about it, I just told her more and more about the show and the fandom. I kinda spoon-fed her information about the show and fandom over a period of time, until she stopped asking me about the show because she knew everything that she wanted to know about it, and she knew that I was a fan. 

Basically what you want to do is not overwhelm your parents and tell them right off the bat that your a Brony, just buy a few small pony figurines, and then overtime as you become more comfortable you can watch the show itself in front of them, just make it very casual, and tell them it's just a TV show you really like. Give them little hints and bits of information about the show over a period of time, as to ease them into the knowledge that your a Brony and watch MLP, personally I think the best way to tell anyone anything is over a period of time and very normally and casually too. 

This worked for me, though telling people your a Brony does vary by a case-by-case basis, so really just do what you feel like would be best. Above all, just don't make a big deal about "Coming out as a Brony", because once you make it a big deal, it can scare your parents and really derail everything. Being a Brony isn't a big deal, so don't make it seem like it is especially when telling your parents for the first time. :kindness:

You forgot the red color in your text! :umad:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, FuntimeMare said:

You forgot the red color in your text! :umad:

Well how about that, it looks like I did! I know for a short time after I first joined these forums I didn't use the red text, but that post from early 2018 I think I was using it at that point. Or maybe I was making the transition to always using it, I don't really remember, crazy how much time just flies by like it does though! ^_^

2 hours ago, FuntimeMare said:

I didn’t have to tell my parents I was a Brony cause they already knew but I did have to do this method for FNAF

I feel like nowadays it's easier to say that you like savage horror series with a lot of deaths than cartoon for children:huh:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Vefka said:

I feel like nowadays it's easier to say that you like savage horror series with a lot of deaths than cartoon for children:huh:

The ‘cartoon for children’ thing makes more sense for my family cause they’ve had a lot of talks about how FNAF is “demoralizing” since it’s a horror series. The cartoon doesn’t have anything questionable in it like FNAF does so it doesn’t bother them. I used to draw a lot of FNAF stuff and I’d always get asked if I was okay, whereas if I drew ponies everyone would be happy about that (unless they were sad ponies).

To the general public, saying I like FNAF would be a lot easier than saying I like MLP, but even though my family has accepted FNAF the series is still a little controversial to them.

12 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

Well how about that, it looks like I did! I know for a short time after I first joined these forums I didn't use the red text, but that post from early 2018 I think I was using it at that point. Or maybe I was making the transition to always using it, I don't really remember, crazy how much time just flies by like it does though! ^_^

I didn’t realize the post was old :ButtercupLaugh:

18 minutes ago, FuntimeMare said:

The ‘cartoon for children’ thing makes more sense for my family cause they’ve had a lot of talks about how FNAF is “demoralizing” since it’s a horror series. The cartoon doesn’t have anything questionable in it like FNAF does so it doesn’t bother them. I used to draw a lot of FNAF stuff and I’d always get asked if I was okay, whereas if I drew ponies everyone would be happy about that (unless they were sad ponies).

Seems like it works that way for girls:huh:

I play violent games, watch violent movies, etc almost from kindergarten and my parents probably just think "well, that's what boys like" and never question it. But when my mom occasionally sees ponies on screen she always asks what are these colorful horses you watching