Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

School of Friendship and racism

heavens-champion

15 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

I would like to point out, that the school of Friendship isn't just targeting other species, but ponies themselves too. Heck, from what we saw it actually looks like the majority of their students are ponies, even if the new Creature six mostly aren't. It's the same thing with the Cutie Map too, haven't most of the missions it's sent them on been to solve friendship problems between other ponies? Yeah, there was one in Griffonstone, but I think that's actually the only non-pony mission it's sent them on so far. I can sort of understand where some people's discomfort is coming from, but it's not like the Mane Six are specifically targeting non-ponies, they're trying to spread Friendship to everyone, pony or not. The school is welcome to all, and the map will send the ponies to solve friendship problems no matter what species has the problem.

Looking forward to the first time the cutie map sends the creature six on a friendship mission :)

14 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Some people among the fandom think the School of Friendship is racist because it's founded by ponies. What do you guys think of this line of thinking?

Ridiculous, no other way around it :dry:. Everything is now racist if not made by a minority, sick of this line of thinking  :unamused:

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Gachin said:

- we didn't get to see the griffons for quiet a long time; we don't know how their way of life evolved from that episode in Griffonstone

That episode in Griffonstone bothered me because I didn't feel the backstory given actually explained very well why their society was in such a state, so I got a major vibe of "griffon culture is inherently greedy and would be made better by adopting superior pony values." I admit though that I haven't seen it in a while. 

I don't know, that implication is why I don't really like the show equating entire species with individual personality traits. It makes the friendship thing seem like a "civilizing mission" of a sort, which in the real world has often had dire consequences. On the flip side, Gabby, Thorax, and Ember were at least inspired to make change within their own communities, and at least the ponies haven't actively sought to conquer "inferior" peoples. 

4 hours ago, Gachin said:

- the dragons are the only ones that could be bothersome; they don't seem to be quiet friendly... but then again what do we know about their way of living? They're rude, sure, but rudeness is all that we saw - all that the writers cared to show us-  and we didn't get to see much really. I remember them forming groups, playing games as well; I don't know why, but I don't feel like they really need to be taught everything all over.

I feel like the show tends to depict dragon culture too negatively. For a show this optimistic, I wish it would have more of the cultural relativism that it applies to the yaks. 

7 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

In Canada, you could potentially be subject to prosecution for refusing to address a transgender person by any contrived pronoun that ISN'T "he" or "she". I wish I was joking, but I'm not. They're actually trying to make that shit a reality in the US too.

God forbid you address someone the way they wish to be addressed. 

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

That episode in Griffonstone bothered me because I didn't feel the backstory given actually explained very well why their society was in such a state, so I got a major vibe of "griffon culture is inherently greedy and would be made better by adopting superior pony values." I admit though that I haven't seen it in a while. 

I am not sure that is true. Everything I have seen outside of ponyville suggests that the rest of the pony cities are occupied by individuals as self-centered as Spoiled rich - on the whole. There are obviously exceptions (fancy pants, for example, or coco pomel) just as there are exceptions in ponyville (such as the aforementioned spoiled rich) but on the whole, it seems like ponyville is a special case - although even they seem to revert in the absence of Pinkie (during magical mystery cure)

So, even avoiding the whole "chessmaster" theory around Celestia, or possibly the Tree, it seems like the Mane 6, and their power of friendship, is very much what is being promoted here, not something ascribed to the pony "race" as a whole. NeighSayer clearly has issues though (I suspect calling them a racist ass is itself racist though :D )

4 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I feel like the show tends to depict dragon culture too negatively. For a show this optimistic, I wish it would have more of the cultural relativism that it applies to the yaks. 

I have mixed feelings about the yaks - they seem to represent (at least to me) the worst of the "male" stereotype - to the point of caricature.

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I am not sure that is true. Everything I have seen outside of ponyville suggests that the rest of the pony cities are occupied by individuals as self-centered as Spoiled rich - on the whole. There are obviously exceptions (fancy pants, for example, or coco pomel) just as there are exceptions in ponyville (such as the aforementioned spoiled rich) but on the whole, it seems like ponyville is a special case - although even they seem to revert in the absence of Pinkie (during magical mystery cure)

So, even avoiding the whole "chessmaster" theory around Celestia, or possibly the Tree, it seems like the Mane 6, and their power of friendship, is very much what is being promoted here, not something ascribed to the pony "race" as a whole. NeighSayer clearly has issues though (I suspect calling them a racist ass is itself racist though :D )

I've found it weird even in the pony-oriented map episodes, that's not necessarily a social criticism, and you do have a point there. 

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I have mixed feelings about the yaks - they seem to represent (at least to me) the worst of the "male" stereotype - to the point of caricature.

I like them because they resemble what would otherwise have been a condescending stereotype, but the show consistently treats their culture as something deserving respect. Subverts both the simplicity of a masculine caricature and the racism of a tribal caricature. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

1 hour ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

The school of friendship is about ending segregation. Not racist at all.

There is no segregation to end, they are just different societies which were naturally inhabited by different species. Segregation has to occur within a society, and pony society is largely homogeneous. It clearly isn't segregated for the non-ponies though as 1. Gilda attended the same flight camp as Rainbow Dash and 2. there was nothing in the EEA handbook about segregating classrooms even though it appears Neighsay wishes there was.  

Damn. I just watched the premiere feeling speechless because of love, joy, and harmony. I come to the fandom's circle and what a ****fest. COME ON GUYS AND GIRLS REALLY? REALLY?! 

The only one who's racist is that EEA leader. He needs to be punished by Celestia. (obvious opinion is obvious)

Edited by Shabb3r
shouldn't have said that...

29 minutes ago, Shabb3r said:

The only one who's racist is that EEA leader. He needs to be punished by Celestia.

lol Yeah, I think she's just letting him deal with reality. It's punishment enough. He must live a sad life being angry at the lack of segregation between unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies—and now other species. 

I think we'll be seeing more of him, though.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 3

21 minutes ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

lol Yeah, I think she's just letting him deal with reality. It's punishment enough. He must live a sad life being angry at the lack of segregation between unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies—and now other species. 

I think we'll be seeing more of him, though.

True. If the MLP team does decide to go down the route of heavily implying the themes of racism later in the season, then boy oh boy is there going to be a crazy fest - both in the fandom and the moms of kids who watch the show.

Also, ignore the rest of my original thread post. I've edited it out now, as I was just spittin' mad. But after offering my afternoon prayers, I feel better now and regret what I originally said.

I can guarantee you the alleged racist (I say alleged because tbh it depends how you interpret it) statements of the leader of the EEA will be a hot topic in the commentary of brony react channels for the Season 8 premiere. (bronies who react to and make commentaries on episodes they watch, not ACRacebest's videos, for clarification).

Edited by Shabb3r

26 minutes ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Yes, they do. You haven't thoroughly researched this subject if you don't believe that's become a pressing issue in North American politics. Just look at that link I posted.

And I'm not the one equating the two. It's certain SJWs that are. The fact you'd make that assumption about me like I never knew the difference says a lot more about you. You only care about subjective interpretations of hate speech. If you take offense to it, that's fine. But the law should only be concerned with terminology that's OBJECTIVELY offensive; as in things that are unanimously agreed to be offensive, like racial slurs.

Unfortunately there are those out there who get outraged over things just so that they can be victims. College campuses have become a breeding ground for this. 

3 minutes ago, Shabb3r said:

True. If the MLP team does decide to go down the route of heavily implying the themes of racism later in the season, then boy oh boy is there going to be a crazy fest - both in the fandom and the moms of kids who watch the show.

Also, ignore the rest of my original thread post. I've edited it out now, as I was just spittin' mad. But after offering my afternoon prayers, I feel better now and regret what I originally said.

I can guarantee you the alleged racist (I say alleged because tbh it depends how you interpret it) statements of the leader of the EEA will be a hot topic in the commentary of brony react channels (bronies who react to and make commentaries on episodes they watch, not ACRacebest's videos, for clarification).

If they decide to go down that route, I’d hate to be one of the MLP writers at a con this summer. The fandom will make their voices heard.

• Brohoof 3

31 minutes ago, Shabb3r said:

True. If the MLP team does decide to go down the route of heavily implying the themes of racism, then boy oh boy is there going to be a crazy fest - both in the fandom and the moms of kids who watch the show.

I can guarantee you the alleged racist (I say alleged because tbh it depends how you interpret it) statements of the leader of the EEA will be a hot topic in the commentary of brony react channels (bronies who react to and make commentaries on episodes they watch, not ACRacebest's videos, for clarification).

I'm a little surprised they went that route. But then again, at the same time not.

I removed that part where I wroted you! np didn't think much of it. 

And yeah, I agree! Expecting this to be a big deal if they go through with him being a villain. I'm betting they'll reform him, too.

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse

As I said in another thread I ask that we be careful before we steer this thread into something a little too political. I understand some topics like racism & such are not avoidable, but let's tone it back some, shall we?

• Brohoof 4

10 hours ago, RyanMahaffe said:

I literally have not seen any comments like that on EQD so I think you misunderstood people, Neighsay was the "racist" (speciesist) Not Twilight or the school.

There was an EQD user named Zimmerwald1915 who accused the School of Friendship being a display of cultural imperialism.

22 hours ago, Ganondox said:

No, the show is, in the same sense democracy was exclusively an American thing. 

Yes, because they TOTALLY didn't have democracy in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.

Honestly, I think you shouldn't be watching Friendship is Magic if you feel this way.

5 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

As I said in another thread I ask that we be careful before we steer this thread into something a little too political. I understand some topics like racism & such are not avoidable, but let's tone it back some, shall we?

Noted.

9 hours ago, Shabb3r said:

Damn. I just watched the premiere feeling speechless because of love, joy, and harmony. I come to the fandom's circle and what a ****fest. COME ON GUYS AND GIRLS REALLY? REALLY?! 

The only one who's racist is that EEA leader. He needs to be punished by Celestia. (obvious opinion is obvious)

Exactly. They ignore the one pony whose blatantly racist in favor of bashing a school whose intentions are noble.

54 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Yes, because they TOTALLY didn't have democracy in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome.

Honestly, I think you shouldn't be watching Friendship is Magic if you feel this way.

6 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

If you call the rule of a adult white male a democracy, then yes.if you are a woman or a slave, child, or a foreigner then tough love sister because you don't have a say in that democracy.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

There was an EQD user named Zimmerwald1915 who accused the School of Friendship being a display of cultural imperialism.

Noted.

Exactly. They ignore the one pony whose blatantly racist in favor of bashing a school whose intentions are noble.

Drop your freaking attitude and learn to read what I actually wrote, you completely missed the point if you really think me answering YOUR QUESTION means I shouldn't be watching the show, and you've just persisted in being a sarcastic, condescending. I was just explaining why some people episode find the episode as racist, but you seemed to take offense to the mere idea of connecting it to world politics, it was never even my personal opinion. You're not seriously looking for an answer, you're just being a bully trying to intimidate me into agreeing with you. I'm not arguing with you anymore. 

Edited by PathfinderCS
removed word

25 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Drop your freaking attitude and learn to read what I actually wrote, you completely missed the point if you really think me answering YOUR QUESTION means I shouldn't be watching the show, and you've just persisted in being a sarcastic, condescending twat. I was just explaining why some people episode find the episode as racist, but you seemed to take offense to the mere idea of connecting it to world politics, it was never even my personal opinion. You're not seriously looking for an answer, you're just being a bully trying to intimidate me into agreeing with you. I'm not arguing with you anymore. 

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

8 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

You were pretty blatantly being sarcastic with "Yes, because they TOTALLY didn't have democracy in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome", you would have to apologize for me than just giving an impression for me to take the apology seriously. 

1 minute ago, Ganondox said:

You were pretty blatantly being sarcastic with "Yes, because they TOTALLY didn't have democracy in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome", you would have to apologize for me than just giving an impression for me to take the apology seriously. 

I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, heavens-champion said:

I'm sorry.

So, lets go back to what I actually meant. It doesn't matter that the Greek had democracy as the context was Wilsonianism. The idea is the show was essentially claiming that friendship was uniquely pony thing which they were in turn sharing, even though it's technically not true. That's doesn't mean the ponies don't have valuable lessons to share though. 

Just now, Ganondox said:

So, lets go back to what I actually meant. It doesn't matter that the Greek had democracy as the context was Wilsonianism. The idea is the show was essentially claiming that friendship was uniquely pony thing which they were in turn sharing, even though it's technically not true. That's doesn't mean the ponies don't have valuable lessons to share though. 

Right.

I don't really have a negative stance on imperialism and racism in fiction nor do I think that all cultures deserve respect. I'll just say that our glorious writers destroyed their own argument with Non-Pone 6 since they managed to bond on their own despite incompetence of Mane 6. Tell me again why non-pones were shit for seven seasons?

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Noted.

Ohm Zimmerwald... that guy lol. Yeah ignore him.