Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Theory on Smolder

FlareGun45

Ok, I just thought of this theory just now! Now this is a 50-50 shot! I could be right, or I could be wrong, but I hope I'm right cause it would explain alot! You ready for this?

I think Smolder might be.... Spike's sister! I know I'm taking a shot in the dark right now, but why would Ember choose Smolder out of all the other dragons to be in the School of Friendship? She coulda chose Garble! No she chose Smolder! I mean, yeah Smolder could just be Ember's cousin or something, but Ember was so eager for Spike to make Smolder! Then again, that could also be just me, and that Ember just wants to give Spike another dragon friend. OR... Ember is introducing Spike to his long-lost sister as a way to return the favor for Spike after making her Dragon Lord, and Ember wants to try to get Spike to reunite with his family!

Then that's where Father Knows Best comes in when the truth gets revealed!

I have literately no way to prove this, and it may or may not happen! But now that I think about it, I WANT it to happen! It would be one of the biggest plot-twists on the show that would make the entire fandom fall out of their chairs! Even mine, cause I would be surprised if I was actually right, cause I don't expect to!

• Brohoof 1

I doubt Ember knows anything about Spikes family, and as such would be unable to cherry pick any of his siblings out for that plot twist. As for Garble, he is probably seen as far too old for the school, not to mention he outright hates ponies where some of the younger ones have more open minds I am guessing.

• Brohoof 2

It's a good theory though like someone said, Ember most likely doesn't know who Spike's parents were. Torch might know the answer though whether or not we will see him again remains to be seen.

I have the feeling that if they intend to have Smoulder related to Spike in some way, they would have had her as another wingless dragon. I have no supporting evidence for this, it's just a feeling.

(edited)

5abd13fe403b3_Spike_Ember_and_Smolder_listen_to_Twilight_S8E1.png.971f24dd208bc705568bc3fb5e0750ec.png

Now that I see a full-body view of both Spike and Smolder together, they both have similar features! Could just be a coincidence though. I'm not saying I'm right about this theory, but I'm not saying I'm wrong either! Like I said, 50-50 shot!

Edited by MegaSean45

On 3/26/2018 at 10:29 PM, MegaSean45 said:

She coulda chose Garble! No she chose Smolder!

Yeah.... No. Picking Garble would have been a disaster for the ponies and would likely have ended with him getting locked up in Tartarus. XD

The truth is there just aren't any previously known small dragons who are friendly enough and small enough to fit into a pony-built school. If it wasn't Smolder, it would be some other newly invented young dragon character that would become part of the group and we'd be wondering the same thing: Are they related to Spike.

At this point its just too early to say, though I'm leaning toward it being unlikely due to the story

Spoiler

Smolder tells Spike about her family. She only said they kicked their brother out, nothing about her father running out on them or her parents feeling sad about a long-lost egg.

Plus I'm sure she must have asked Spike how he came to be with ponies by now since that situation is unheard of among dragons. If her family had a missing egg his origin story with Twlight's entrance exam would have raised flags that he might be a long-lost brother.

On 3/31/2018 at 4:06 PM, Truffles said:

Yeah.... No. Picking Garble would have been a disaster for the ponies and would likely have ended with him getting locked up in Tartarus. XD

The truth is there just aren't any previously known small dragons who are friendly enough and small enough to fit into a pony-built school. If it wasn't Smolder, it would be some other newly invented young dragon character that would become part of the group and we'd be wondering the same thing: Are they related to Spike.

At this point its just too early to say, though I'm leaning toward it being unlikely due to the story

Hide contents

Smolder tells Spike about her family. She only said they kicked their brother out, nothing about her father running out on them or her parents feeling sad about a long-lost egg.

Plus I'm sure she must have asked Spike how he came to be with ponies by now since that situation is unheard of among dragons. If her family had a missing egg his origin story with Twlight's entrance exam would have raised flags that he might be a long-lost brother.

Smolder might've been too sensitve to talk about her possible lost sibling which could be why she never mentioned it, but even if her family did lose the egg, she probably assumes the egg was lost and she never even thought about Spike being the sibling, that is unless Smolder finally talks about her past in Hearth's Warming Club and the flashback shows the egg.

I'm not saying it's certainly gonna happen, but don't underestimate these writers! Similar unexpecting scenerios have happened! With Nicole Dubuc in charge, who knows what'll happen! She brought back Star Swirl! What were the odds of that happening?!

VERY far-fetched theory, but it would be a HUGE thing for the bronies if Spike's family was finally shown. I would love that and I'm sure many others. 
Going back to your theory, looking at a picture of the two, they do have similar features, but again, VERY far-fetched. Interesting theory in all, though!

56 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Hide contents

Smolder might've been too sensitve to talk about her possible lost sibling which could be why she never mentioned it, but even if her family did lose the egg, she probably assumes the egg was lost and she never even thought about Spike being the sibling, that is unless Smolder finally talks about her past in Hearth's Warming Club and the flashback shows the egg.

I'm not saying it's certainly gonna happen, but don't underestimate these writers! Similar unexpecting scenerios have happened! With Nicole Dubuc in charge, who knows what'll happen! She brought back Star Swirl! What were the odds of that happening?!

And I'm not saying it isn't possible - just unlikely based on the evidence I've seen so far. I guess I would also say it seems limiting to me to make it that the only other dragon with nominal sociability turns out to be a direct family member of Spike. Doing so perpetuates this notion that only he and his family are capable of being integrated into pony society. (Ember is getting there, but she still has a ways to go by what we saw in the season premiere.)

I think it's a little far fetched. They look very different. It would be a great twist but i don't see how... wait... spike will still grow wings...

hm... :huh:

They look very different. I mean, as dragon lord, she is permitted to ask celestia or someone about his origins but the coincidence that eh... Smolder is also related to Ember AND spike... you know, it could be... but more probable is just Ember being like "Sure, i'll send my cousin to friendship school. She is still young and should learn about friendship, 'cause it's pretty useful."

(edited)
4 minutes ago, FizzyGreen said:

I think it's a little far fetched. They look very different. It would be a great twist but i don't see how... wait... spike will still grow wings...

hm... :huh:

They look very different. I mean, as dragon lord, she is permitted to ask celestia or someone about his origins but the coincidence that eh... Smolder is also related to Ember AND spike... you know, it could be... but more probable is just Ember being like "Sure, i'll send my cousin to friendship school. She is still young and should learn about friendship, 'cause it's pretty useful."

Smolder and Ember aren't related, Big J confirmed that! ;) Spike and Smolder are still on the board!

Edited by MegaSean45

Wait... reloading episode data...

Hm... oh. Okay!

Although they look different, as far as i know Princess Celestia contacted Ember and the others. So they might've had a talk... i'd put a 70% chance on it because Ember was really eager for Spike to meet Smolder. ...except if she wants to SHIP THEM! :blink: then of course they couldn't be!

I mean Spike WAS rejected by Rarity, right? :huh:

Eh, but i don't think the show would do that, but it could be just as far fetched as your theory so... yeah i'll give your theory a 60% chance.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, FizzyGreen said:

Wait... reloading episode data...

Hm... oh. Okay!

Although they look different, as far as i know Princess Celestia contacted Ember and the others. So they might've had a talk... i'd put a 70% chance on it because Ember was really eager for Spike to meet Smolder. ...except if she wants to SHIP THEM! :blink: then of course they couldn't be!

I mean Spike WAS rejected by Rarity, right? :huh:

Eh, but i don't think the show would do that, but it could be just as far fetched as your theory so... yeah i'll give your theory a 60% chance.

I like those odds! :D