Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on gender stereotypes?

Feather Scribbles

Stereotypes don't come from nowhere. A lot of stereotypes have a grain of truth to them - how much truth depends on the subject of the stereotype. That being said, no particular group of people should be judged by a stereotype. Every individual is different in some way; some people will exhibit stereotypical traits more than others. It's presumptuous to assume that a group will all act the same, even if that group shares some similarities.

It's always safest to judge a person by their individual characteristics, devoid of what you may have heard before. This is true no matter the group, gender, race, etc. It's also why sweeping generalizations of a group are something I discourage, because there will always be exceptions no matter what stereotype you're banking on.

I'm very individualistic in the way I treat people. I do my best to treat everyone free of any external biases. I let people's own actions speak for themselves, and make judgments off of that, rather than what I may have heard somewhere else. It is typical for the human mind to attempt to pick up patterns in people's behavior, and sometimes those patterns ring true, and I'll even point out these patterns from time to time, but I do my best not to let these patterns make me prejudge someone before I've come to know them.

• Brohoof 5

Oh, I think gender stereotypes are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  They're the tops, man, I'm talkin' the bees knees, baby.  I love 'em.

That's very heavy sarcasm, there.  If you've read more than a couple of my posts or any of my blog, you know that I rant about unfair gender and sexual stereotypes more than anyone.  And, of course, you and I have been talking, Scribbles, so, y'know.  You already know what I'm about.

• Brohoof 2

Some exist to outline the predetermined behavior of a person based on their sex, some to target for marketing campaigns and some just because it's in human nature to associate specific nouns with specific verbs or attributes. I theorize that people say they hate them because they don't like the idea of fitting inside of a little description box or that it makes it difficult to be readily accepted by other people when they say they're a gender they aren't. I frankly don't ever think about them unless someone brings it up but it's always framed as if it were some kind of ominous black cloud descended upon humanity. Humans fighting human nature is like a person trying to stop oncoming freeway traffic by laying down in front of it.

I found them kinda humorous since most of it are true. Just as long people doesn't implied it to make a argument point or take them seriously. 

Gender stereotypes are annoying,

If I don't do many masculine things, I'm apparently gay, WTF

These people need to learn common fucking sense, I often say that I'm straight often (litterally anytime anyone calls me gay because I'm not to masculine)

Edited by Sherbert
  • Brohoof 1

Gender stereotypes have come to stay because we are biologically different. For better or for worse, they have come to stay.

That said.. I like some stereotypes, dislike others.

• Brohoof 1

As someone who is non-binary & non-conforming when I do identify as the gender I was assigned at birth, I can say that gender stereotypes are complete & utter BS & need to be retired to the history books where they belong....

(edited)
1 hour ago, DJ_Bonebraker said:

As someone who is non-binary & non-conforming when I do identify as the gender I was assigned at birth, I can say that gender stereotypes are complete & utter BS & need to be retired to the history books where they belong....

Unfortunately, at least a good portion of the population will always be against it, just like a good portion of the population throughout history have always been against, well, whatever "new" rises up. So I think our goal is to make at least 51% of the world accept us, and at least 80% (100% is a bit unrealistic) of the world respect us. There will always be people against the LGBTQ+ community, such as some religious folk.

But, as being non-binary myself (I'm a closed closet), I emphasize your point and I agree entirely.

Edited by Feather Scribbles
  • Brohoof 1

Our world is full of stereotypes,  and it has become more and more common now with the net.    As a female,   I have had to deal with those a little.  Like wanting to have kids!   Thing is, I don't like kids and I don't want to have them.   Which I have had some backlash on even from other women.

Oh, boy. Ways To Stir Up Controversy #238...

Stereotypes are not inherently bad (or untrue). Women do tend to talk more than men. Men do tend to have difficulty expressing their feelings. 

The problem arises when someone tries to force another to fit the mold or refuses to believe that an individual may differ from the norm.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

In my honest opinion, such stereotypes should have no purpose in existing. But due to humanity talking it upon themselves to judge others for the things they do, stereotypes became an inevitability. But in some sense, the gender stereotypes are not so bad. However, there are some life damaging gender sterotypes that have leaked into what affect laws. Such as 'Males always thinking of sex'. That stereotype is so embedded into most female perceptions of men that it's become the accepted norm, and laws do not support sexual harassment of males because of it. It's so bad that if a male doesn't want sex or have encounters with it, they are automatically weird in the head, or considered 'gay' for spurning the advances of females.

Edited by Vemillia Nightshade

I love gender stereotypes. Anything that delineates the sexes is good for me. There are wonderful differences and they should be celebrated, not homogenized down until everything is one big mess of sameness. In a world where diversity is supposedly so greatly encouraged, the differences between men and women should be among the foremost to be recognized and enjoyed. 

• Brohoof 3

stereotypes are something that people have created themselves and because of that they aren't really something that is necessary so at this point they may as well be non existent to me though through my upbringing into this chained society i've been chained aswell