Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the movie necessary to watch season 8?

Skytower

The premiere essentially recaps all the important information you need to know in order to understand it, so no, the movie isn't required viewing. I'd still watch it anyway just to get the details on exactly what they're talking about, but their summaries of events just about cover it.

It's not required. The main plot of the episode really has nothing to do with the movie. Only the beginning really explicitly references the movie, and even then that info was pretty much common knowledge before the film premiered.

I wouldn't worry. :)

I don't watch mlp, but I can chime in on this from a different standpoint, maybe that'd help.

From a marketing standpoint, it would be a good idea for the company who makes and produces mlp to keep the movie as it's own entity. This way they get the most revenue because of it being a different thing.

From a historical standpoint, if we look at how spongebob had it's movies and kinda had the same formula throughout, it made the movies something you wanted to see because they were different.

In conclusion, you probably won't have any problem watching the 8th season of your show and it containing spoilers. There most likely won't be any, and they'll keep the movie as it's own entity.

They gave enough exposition to catch us up on the fact that sometimes adventures occur off screen, but not enough to make you feel like you're missing out on something. They do this all the time by referencing events in past episodes. Really useful in providing context, especially for new comers without overwhelming them.

You wouldn’t miss much at all, but like the others said there’ll definitely be some spoilers. But then again, it’s a pony movie, you know everything is gonna end out ok and even if you were watching the movie it’s things you’d probably be able to guess while you were watching the movie :) so go ahead and watch season 8! (You might just be a bit confused as to why a certain type of creature can do some things maybe haha)