Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would Rainbow Dash react if she became an Alicorn?

Lucartini

During the earlier seasons I would say she would take advantage of her new status and show off to everyone. At the current stage in the series I feel she's grown so much as a character that she would handle it much more maturely. To be honest, I'm not sure if much will change for her. She already seems happy with who she is.

I'm not sure she'd even like being an Alicorn, because in a sense that would mean she will lose a part of herself and her old life.

RD would still love to fly, she would still be competitive and probably not be interested in using magic much at all.

Edited by JH24

I think she'dthink it's awesome at first, but then she realizes she has to make new decisions about the things she loves, and whether she can still do them.

Being an alicorn might get her disqualified from competitions. People might she has an unfair advantage and no longer admire her like they once did (at least not for the things she wants to be admired for).

• Brohoof 1

I don’t think she would like it much. I remember in one episode the group was talking about alicorization and RD made a remark like “I don’t think it’s EVERYPONY’S dream [to become a princess].

I feel like she may be confused and freak out because she wouldn’t know what she is supposed to be the “princess of.” Also she doesn’t like studying so she probably wouldn’t try to learn any spells, thus making it pointless. lol

• Brohoof 1

She would consider herself the most awesome alicorn to have ever existed and probably show off to the other Wonderbolts.

• Brohoof 1

mmmmm....the answer is no, i don't think that she would be an alicorn, remember that the only ones who would be alicorn are twilight, Candace, Luna but with starligth I don't know.

12 hours ago, Van123 said:

mmmmm....the answer is no, i don't think that she would be an alicorn, remember that the only ones who would be alicorn are twilight, Candace, Luna but with starligth I don't know.

The subject isn't about how likely the possibility is, but how she would react to it if it did happen.

Now, I've actually written Rainbow Dash for this forum before, so I'm rather familiar with her character - I'll give this a shot.

First, I question those who say that an alicorn would be unable to be in the Wonderbolts. By whose jurisdiction? There's nothing suggesting that an alicorn wouldn't still be able to fly. Do remember that ponies who become an alicorn don't necessarily change; they just ascend to a greater purpose that they happen to have.

It depends on how she became an alicorn, I think. Is it a princess ascension, or is she just gaining the ability to use magic? In the latter, I can see Rainbow as being curious and playing around with the abilities; as they're not her true passion, they won't take away from flying, but Rainbow's more than just wanting to Go Fast, considering she also likes reading books now and clearly liked building a kart. If it's by princess ascension, Rainbow's never been one as far as I've seen to shirk responsibility, as she's a rather dedicated weather pony. Perhaps early season material like season 1, but nowadays, I think she would embrace it if it was coming to her.

I don't think like Twilight she'd worry too much about her purpose, she'd just go at it head-first. If she flopped, though, she'd definitely question, and question hard why she got the horn in the first place or if she even earned it, which would likely take some reassurance on the other princesses' part to get her back up to speed on that one. Overall, I think she'd take the responsibility she gains from it rather seriously, but not at the complete expense of fun, and with the same bravado she tackles any other challenge with.

3 hours ago, Wolfhog said:

The subject isn't about how likely the possibility is, but how she would react to it if it did happen.

Now, I've actually written Rainbow Dash for this forum before, so I'm rather familiar with her character - I'll give this a shot.

First, I question those who say that an alicorn would be unable to be in the Wonderbolts. By whose jurisdiction? There's nothing suggesting that an alicorn wouldn't still be able to fly. Do remember that ponies who become an alicorn don't necessarily change; they just ascend to a greater purpose that they happen to have.

It depends on how she became an alicorn, I think. Is it a princess ascension, or is she just gaining the ability to use magic? In the latter, I can see Rainbow as being curious and playing around with the abilities; as they're not her true passion, they won't take away from flying, but Rainbow's more than just wanting to Go Fast, considering she also likes reading books now and clearly liked building a kart. If it's by princess ascension, Rainbow's never been one as far as I've seen to shirk responsibility, as she's a rather dedicated weather pony. Perhaps early season material like season 1, but nowadays, I think she would embrace it if it was coming to her.

I don't think like Twilight she'd worry too much about her purpose, she'd just go at it head-first. If she flopped, though, she'd definitely question, and question hard why she got the horn in the first place or if she even earned it, which would likely take some reassurance on the other princesses' part to get her back up to speed on that one. Overall, I think she'd take the responsibility she gains from it rather seriously, but not at the complete expense of fun, and with the same bravado she tackles any other challenge with.

well yes, but that depends if she will be one or not

I don't know, but I know I wouldn't be happy if she became an alicorn, if she doesn't evolve further. Maybe in the future, but the only character I deem worthy know is Sunset. Starlight isn't there yet, but she's close.

That would make her a Princess.  But of what?  The Princess of Sports?

At first, I think she'd love being endowed with magic, she'd have a good ole time.  But when the reality of added responsibilities set in, probably not so much.

Edited by Mortar

• 3 months later...

She would probably try to use a spell to make her go faster. Wait.shes already the BEST PONY IN EQUESTRIA. She deserves to be a alicorn. she would react by standing in shock for a few minutes. I LOVE RAINBOW!

(edited)

Is it canonical at all for a Pegasus to become an alicorn in the comics or something??? because it entails a lot of magical responsibility, and you can't just drop that on a pegasus and expect the same results as with a Unicorn, it's giving magic to a being that is naturally born without it, it doesn't work like that, giving Rainbow Dash alicorn magic is like teaching a bear how to use a grenade launcher. I dont think she is the alicorn arch type.. not sure she would like it at all, her ego on the other hand could explode...

"wow" I didnt know that Caedence was a pegasus, that feels like something I should have definitely known for like ever... now i feel dumb, but there is an apples to oranges difference between caedence and RD, and also she must have been one for quite awhile because when she was Twilights foalsitter she was already an alicorn(also seems very written in/she was intended to have magic based on her power/cutie mark)

Edited by Aquaflame

4 hours ago, Aquaflame said:

Is it canonical at all for a Pegasus to become an alicorn in the comics or something??? because it entails a lot of magical responsibility, and you can't just drop that on a pegasus and expect the same results as with a Unicorn, it's giving magic to a being that is naturally born without it, it doesn't work like that, giving Rainbow Dash alicorn magic is like teaching a bear how to use a grenade launcher. I dont think she is the alicorn arch type.. not sure she would like it at all, her ego on the other hand could explode...

"wow" I didnt know that Caedence was a pegasus, that feels like something I should have definitely known for like ever... now i feel dumb, but there is an apples to oranges difference between caedence and RD, and also she must have been one for quite awhile because when she was Twilights foalsitter she was already an alicorn(also seems very written in/she was intended to have magic based on her power/cutie mark)

Cadance seems to have become an alicorn at a pretty young age.

I don't see how gaining magic would be any more traumatic than gaining wings. In general, alicorns aren't the same as princesses, and princesses don't seem to have any inherent responsibilities which are directly linked to magic; what Cadance does isn't the same as what Twilight does, which itself isn't the same as what Luna and Celestia do. It would depend on when and why Rainbow became an alicorn, admittedly, but we sort of need to go past that to consider the reaction. 

Anyway, I think her reaction would be complicated. She'd probably be overwhelmed by the addition of unicorn and earth pony features and magic, and she wouldn't be that excited about her new responsibilities, but she would surely take them seriously, at least at first - the naps might not become frequent until later. Certainly, she'd boast about it, but mostly I think she'd be surprised and confused until she received some experience and direction, which might come a little more easily than it did to Twilight, if only because the latter can give advice. It's not at all what she wanted to do with her life, but I don't believe it was what Twilight wanted to do either, and she's settled into the role pretty comfortably. 

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Cadance seems to have become an alicorn at a pretty young age.

I don't see how gaining magic would be any more traumatic than gaining wings. In general, alicorns aren't the same as princesses, and princesses don't seem to have any inherent responsibilities which are directly linked to magic; what Cadance does isn't the same as what Twilight does, which itself isn't the same as what Luna and Celestia do. It would depend on when and why Rainbow became an alicorn, admittedly, but we sort of need to go past that to consider the reaction. 

Anyway, I think her reaction would be complicated. She'd probably be overwhelmed by the addition of unicorn and earth pony features and magic, and she wouldn't be that excited about her new responsibilities, but she would surely take them seriously, at least at first - the naps might not become frequent until later. Certainly, she'd boast about it, but mostly I think she'd be surprised and confused until she received some experience and direction, which might come a little more easily than it did to Twilight, if only because the latter can give advice. It's not at all what she wanted to do with her life, but I don't believe it was what Twilight wanted to do either, and she's settled into the role pretty comfortably. 

The "first alicorn Wonderbolt" I thought that the under lived graduation to becoming a Wonderbolt was kind of the Rainbow Dash edition of "becoming an alicorn" I just really don't see them doing it... the whole pegasus becoming a alicorn thing just also doesn't sit well with me, it is also listed i read that Cadence was classifed as a unicorn beforehand(mistakenly).. I feel like they didnt think her character all the way through, because of that quote when Faust was asked about how she "got her wings so young" and she said it "didnt make sense" I almost feel like Flurry heart was added to put a wrench in all previous notions and or misconceptions, which ever of the two we accept to be...

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

She would find it awesome at first and try out the magic! :fluttershy: But then getting annoyed when Twilight reminds her of her new responsibilities and duties that come with being an alicorn, haha.

• Brohoof 1