Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc The Balancing Scale OCC-1x1 w/ Raven Rawne

SummerHaven

@Raven Rawne Here’s the OCC to our new RP! 

Link to RP

Based in Canterlot, the The Equestrian Society for the Preservation of Rare Creatures just got two new members! The new recruits will face problems, adventures, and assignments all dealing with the diplomacy between ponies and the other fantastic beasts of Equestria. 

Characters:

Frenzy Bolt

Clarity

Creature Index:

Moonskrat, Page 1

Rhynosaurus, Page 1 

Edited by SummerHaven
Updating index

@SummerHaven

Nicely done on the opening post, I'll join the RP soon. Also, for clarity's sake (pun intended), I'll place the summary of my OC in here. Makes it easier to look her up that way, and I'll add relevant info as it comes to play.

Clarity:

A lean bult young adult unicorn mare, sporting a pale lavender coat and long, straight, pure white mane and tail, and amethyst eyes. The former reaches to her shoulders and she sweeps it to the sides, or behind in a slightly messy updo. Her tail is more cooperative, despite reaching over halfway down her legs. Her magic aura matches her eyes.

Her cutie mark is a scratched looking glass, meaning she's very keen and observant, but also kind of ditzy.

Some say she's a genius ditz. Naturally studious and eager to learn, she was all too eager to let her siblings fight for the small family shop in Canterlot as future inheritance, and seek her own way. She came upon ESPRC  when they were running an event in one of the parks, and she liked the idea. So much that, yeah, she's about to work for them full time. While she adores animals, she's still a city pony and have some problems with spending time away from running water and such. Being naturally moody, she can be a real cheer up, or a total downer, especially when she's bored. All in all, never a dull day with her around!

Never really big on magic, since she is fairly weak in this field, she can use fine telekinesis and magelight (make her horn glow). Other than that, she may probably learn new things but the results will be unimpresive.

(edited)

@Raven Rawne

Oh good! I was worried I would mess something up haha. Anyways, I’ve got two options in mind for the first creature they meet:

Option 1) A group of small creatures that doesn’t look threatening at all but can become so under the right circumstances.

or

Option 2) A large creature that looks like it could easily be a threat (weather it is or not we can decide later) 

I don’t have names yet for either of these but I will be able to draw them up pretty soon and will post them here.

Edit: Right as I typed this I thought of a name for one of the creatures :blink:

Edited by SummerHaven

@SummerHaven

Hmm, maybe something big that looks intimidating, maybe has big claws or something that looks threatening, but is actually a herbivore? And then some idiot decides to slay the beast and it gets really mad? Since our duet would be given some intel on what it could be, based on sighting reports, they would know how to handle the situation.

@Raven Rawne

Alright, so it doesn't have claws but I think it fits the role of "creature that looks intimidating but is actually an herbivore." Also I think i'm going to start a creature index in the top post so we can navigate easier to find their descriptions. 

Species name: Rhynosaurus 

Classification: Mammal

Diet: Herbivore 

Description: An armor plated, quadrupedal, herbivorous charging animal. This creature resembles a cross between a triceratops dinosaur and a rhinoceros. It defends itself by charging at its victims with its powerful horns and has the raw power to uproot a medium sized tree. Their colors can range from a slate blue, to a muddy green to a very dark brown. Typically docile in nature, they usually aren't very territorial unless there is a shortage of food or they are protecting their offspring. They can however, do massive amount of property damage when they charge or stomp around whether intentional or not. 

Rhynosaurus.jpg.97a27188228b0082866492218f2ce7a3.jpg

@Raven Rawne

Here's the other idea (which we can save for another mission if need be) 

Species: Moonskrat (play on moon and muskrat)

Classification: Mammal

Diet: Omnivore 

Description: These creatures are small, winged, semi-quadrupedal mammals (meaning they can stand on their hind legs like prairie dogs.) They are nocturnal and have the ability to absorb moonlight into their wings. They remain unable to fly until their wings are fully charged with the magic they absorb from the moon. However once they are able to fly, they set off as a group in search of one thing: food. Much like parasprites, the moonskrats are ravenous animals that eat anything from vegetables to cupcakes. This can be problematic for nearby farms or outdoor food stands. Towns that live near moonskrat colonies live in constant fear of their crops getting devoured. Little is known about these animals due to their skittish nature. They seldom let ponies get close enough to study them and they retreat into their burrows if they feel threatened. 

MOONSKRAT.jpg

When I came up with this idea, I thought about browsing through mythical creatures for our "rare species", but I admit, your ideas are better than some old tropes I would dig up. Also, are those your drawings? They look pretty good actually.

Oh and a spoilered index will work perfectly for our purposes.

I think that during the meeting, we will get summary reports on looks and behavior of several creatures that will match the sightings in woods around Tall Tale, thus obtaining the needed info to pacify the animal and guide it back South. It could be a young male looking for new territory and mates.

(edited)

@Raven Rawne

Well we can certainly use already existing creatures too. I just thought it may be fun to have some new/orignal creatures added to the mix. 

Yes I drew them up and made the concepts for them. We don’t have to use them though if you don’t want to. 

Yep that sounds good! Maybe the meeting director could give them a copy of the report or pamphlet of some sort or some bad photos of the creatures to take with them. 

Edit:

Also is Tall Tale an industrial sort of area or is it more rural? I figured we could save the moonskrat idea for an agriculturally oriented town so they pose more of a threat.

Edited by SummerHaven

Hey, I like your ideas, very much in fact. So don't worry, we're totally making use of these creatures!

Hmm, since we have zero canon intel on Tall Tale, I figure it could be an industrial hub. I made it that way in the bio of  Natural Order, in fact. The way I see it, which of course, may be different for you and that's okay, the place is close to Vanhoover, which is drawn on the map the same way Manehattan is. So, it makes sense to deduct it's a major modern metropolis. Since Tall Tale is surrounded by woods, and close to Smoky Mountains, and there's a railway passing through it, I just have that feeling it's industrial in nature, profiting from timber aquisition, maybe even mines and smelteries from the mountainous region. Maybe some tourism too for the woodsy types and a base for moutain climbers but that wouldn't be too big to reshape the city infrastructure.

Also, the Rhinosaurus may be native to the Undiscovered West, and it somehow decided to cross the narrow space of flat land between the mountains and the sea to check out what's over there. For reasons known only to it really.

I’m just going to drop this here, since I keep having to look it up anyways...

CD284506-F8FB-4020-B285-C51D60202025.jpeg.49ee3b34c58c4602ec97d7f0c547bd00.jpeg

So we’re going to have some pony hunting the rhynosaurus then? And we’re going to say it wandered near the city from the unexplored west? (Just making sure we’re on the same page) 

Also nice job on the meeting manager! He gives off a Ms Harshwhinny vibe. Which is what I would expect from one of the higher ups haha 

:P

He's actually a former agent, like us, but he got wounded and can't go into the field anymore. Hence the limp, stiff movement, and clothes covering his entire body. He's meant to be rather bitter about youngsters taking it so lightly. Also, he can be a recurring character if you like him, or just a one shot meeting.

Originally I left the "why" of it appearing as a mystery, and concentrated on it's current activities. But, being scared off from it's original territory into Equestria proper sounds good, even if adding pouchers seems too early for our characters. They should get some pony versus environment action before they face ponies who want to pake a profit or otherwise kill the creatures they protect. The Rhinosaurus may start rampaging when some smartflank decides to deal with it, and only makes it angry

@Raven Rawne

Aww! I love him even more now. Yes I hope we get to see more of him!

5 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

Originally I left the "why" of it appearing as a mystery, and concentrated on it's current activities. But, being scared off from it's original territory into Equestria proper sounds good, even if adding pouchers seems too early for our characters. They should get some pony versus environment action before they face ponies who want to pake a profit or otherwise kill the creatures they protect. The Rhinosaurus may start rampaging when some smartflank decides to deal with it, and only makes it angry

Yes, I remember now. Sorry about the confusion! :kindness:

@Raven Rawne

Your post just gave me an awesome idea! If our characters are going to Vanhoover, perhaps my other Oc Summer Haven could make a cameo. She lives in Vanhoover and is a unicorn veterinarian so perhaps she could “teach” our characters how to do the anesthesia spell? 

• 2 weeks later...

@SummerHaven

That post was... surprisingly good actually. Instead of just going through the events like a to-do list, you've provided both a stirrup to the linear narrative and a meaningful hint at the characters mental state. I am impressed, really. Well played.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

@SummerHaven

I think that, depending on how you want to play the interaction with your other OC, we may time skip a bit. I was thinking that since they travel through the night, some passengers will fall asleep and that can be the natural cause of the skip. That way we resume around Tall Tale very early in the morning, like 5 AM.

The train runs to Vanhoover but has a mid stop in Tall Tale, where it stays for an hour to resupply water. And let the passengers in and out like on a regular station too ofc.

• 4 weeks later...