Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ideas for an EqG holiday story

Toon4Thought

By the end of this year, FiM will have had five holiday-related stories, while EqG has yet to have one (that we know of, anyway). The only one that technically counts is the infamous Anon-a-Miss comic back in 2014, and even that kind of forgets about the holiday rather early on and it barely factors into the plot at all.

This realization has made me really hope EqG does get an official holiday story in animated form that actually takes proper advantage of the occasion. Doesn't matter the format, it could be shorts or a full special, but it just ought to happen sometime.

However, I'm at a loss as to what it would be about, since I'm simply not creative with ideas. How do you think a EqG Christmas story would play out? I encourage details if you have them.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, A.V. said:

As long as they stay away from anything Internet-related...

...they should be okay.

Well, yeah (beyond the other issues with that comic, the fact it was Internet-related basically prevented them from actually making it about the holiday season) - but I'm curious to here from others what the plot could specifically be. Mostly so I can imagine it playing out in my head.

Edited by Toon4Thought

Despite how most people feel about the comic, I'm one of those who enjoyed it even with the obvious flaws. That being said, Equestria Girls could use its own Christmas themed special since it would make sense from a business perspective as well as a moral one. They have plenty of ideas to use as EQG is a world that still hasn't been fully tapped into but it all comes down to whether they are willing to use said ideas. One idea they should avoid is the Christmas Carol story as the show has done it and it's been done in other programs countless times.

Edited by Ganondorf8
Fixed the post.

9 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Despite how most people feel about the comic, I'm one of those who enjoyed it even with the obvious flaws. That being said, Equestria Girls could use its own Christmas themed special since it would make sense from a business perspective as well as a moral one. They have plenty of ideas to use as EQG is a world that still hasn't been fully tapped into but it all comes down to whether they are willing to use said ideas. One idea they should avoid is the Christmas Carol story as the show has done it and it's been done in other programs countless times.

Mind describing some of those ideas you had in mind?

14 hours ago, A.V. said:

I've got one:

Sunset returns to Equestria again and visits her family for Hearth's Warming.

That would be interesting. Have it as a MLP EG Holiday Special.

5 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

Mind describing some of those ideas you had in mind?

One idea would be to involve Santa Claus and have him become affected by Equestrian Magic which clashes against his own natural magic. Another idea which was already suggested would involve Sunset's family, a concept of her past that still remains unknown other than what she said about them in the 2014 Holiday Special. A third idea could have Sunset trying to get the perfect gift for each of her friends only to struggle to figure it out.

If it's a Halloween special, it should involve the girls going in an old house that is said to be haunted, Human Twilight's reason being to prove there are no such things as ghosts, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash's reasons being to prove they aren't scared. Hilarious hijinks ensue.

Edited by heavens-champion

3 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

If it's a Halloween special, it should involve the girls going in an old house that is said to be haunted, Human Twilight's reason being to prove there are no such things as ghosts, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash's reasons being to prove they aren't scared. Hilarious hijinks ensue.

I was referring more to winter holidays, like Christmas, but I can see them doing something like that.

51 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

I was referring more to winter holidays, like Christmas, but I can see them doing something like that.

Oh, I see. Well if they make another holiday special, it can't be any worse than the anon-a-miss one. Unless, of course, it can.

10 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Oh, I see. Well if they make another holiday special, it can't be any worse than the anon-a-miss one. Unless, of course, it can.

But see, that barely even counts because the occasion barely factors into the plot at all. In fact, it's basically forgotten about once the Anon-a-Miss stuff actually kicks in.

Plus, it's not an animation. We need an proper EqG Christmas. It just feels wrong that FiM gets five while EqG has yet to get even one.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, Toon4Thought said:

But see, that barely even counts because the occasion barely factors into the plot at all. In fact, it's basically forgotten about once the Anon-a-Miss stuff actually kicks in.

Plus, it's not an animation. We need an proper EqG Christmas. It just feels wrong that FiM gets five while EqG has yet to get even one.

True.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Bumping after long inactivity, partly because "The Best Gift Ever" special is fresh on most people's minds and partly because I think I finally got a good idea all figured out.

This is the synopsis: "As Christmas approaches, the Humane 6 notices Sunset seems unusually depressed and lonely during the season. Thus, they devise plans to give Sunset the best Christmas ever. However, after thinking up many ideas of their own that fall flat and even asking Princess Twilight to help them connect with Sunset through Hearth’s Warming traditions, they realize that maybe a perfect Christmas doesn’t need to be extravagant, and that something meaningful can lie within the small things."

In terms of structure, think of something like "Castle Sweet Castle" except with the girls in more constant communication. What do you think?

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

On 10/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, Toon4Thought said:

Bumping after long inactivity, partly because "The Best Gift Ever" special is fresh on most people's minds and partly because I think I finally got a good idea all figured out.

This is the synopsis: "As Christmas approaches, the Humane 6 notices Sunset seems unusually depressed and lonely during the season. Thus, they devise plans to give Sunset the best Christmas ever. However, after thinking up many ideas of their own that fall flat and even asking Princess Twilight to help them connect with Sunset through Hearth’s Warming traditions, they realize that maybe a perfect Christmas doesn’t need to be extravagant, and that something meaningful can lie within the small things."

In terms of structure, think of something like "Castle Sweet Castle" except with the girls in more constant communication. What do you think?

That sounds like a great premise, and it might be an opportunity to explain a bit more about Sunset's past. I mean, does she have a family in Equestria? I have to admit that I'd prefer a less gentle tone than "Castle Sweet Castle," though. 

I think it would be fun if we had a collection of 8 or so shorts based around the winter holidays, so we can see it from different angles. 

(edited)
32 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I think it would be fun if we had a collection of 8 or so shorts based around the winter holidays, so we can see it from different angles. 

I assume by that, you mean one for each character, followed by an ensemble music video? I think that could easily work as well.

Edited by Toon4Thought

2 hours ago, Toon4Thought said:

I assume by that, you mean one for each character, followed by an ensemble music video? I think that could easily work as well.

That's not necessarily what I mean, but that could be a very fun way of handling it.