Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

So today, after converting to Linux (Ubuntu) I realized how terrible Windows really is.

Ironically one of the main things I miss about Windows is Visual Studio but in the end it is worth it because of how much more you can do.

As for gaming I just use a VM and if I can WINE.

So general Linux/OS thread, I can't offer much that vet Linux users won't know so just share any cool things you know and let's see if we can get anybody to see the light that is Linux.

• Brohoof 7

So today, after converting to Linux (Ubuntu) I realized how terrible Windows really is.

Ironically one of the main things I miss about Windows is Visual Studio but in the end it is worth it because of how much more you can do.

As for gaming I just use a VM and if I can WINE.

So general Linux/OS thread, I can't offer much that vet Linux users won't know so just share any cool things you know and let's see if we can get anybody to see the light that is Linux.

Welcome to the World of Linux. I first toyed with Ubuntu when I was 13, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I still use Ubuntu, but my favorite has to be Arch Linux. So, I must ask, what do you think of the Unity interface of Ubuntu? A lot of people don't like it, but I'm living with it.

Welcome to the World of Linux. I first toyed with Ubuntu when I was 13, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I still use Ubuntu, but my favorite has to be Arch Linux. So, I must ask, what do you think of the Unity interface of Ubuntu? A lot of people don't like it, but I'm living with it.

Comparing it to the old one, (forgot the name) I can't say I mind it.

Welcome To the DARK SIDE

JK, Most linux users consider themselves to be rebels in computers (we're the good guys!)

(are we talking about linux in a My Little Pony Forum?...Oh well)

I've used Linux for a while now and have settled on Linux Mint after trying many distros

Migrating from Windows, I'm suprised you didn't try Linux Mint, seeing as it's a bit more friendly to former window users (look more like windows) But still is like Ubuntu (offshoot of Ubuntu and uses gnome 3 as the DE, similar to unity)

Ubuntu's Great though! have fun on your linux quest!

Welcome To the DARK SIDE

JK, Most linux users consider themselves to be rebels in computers (we're the good guys!)

(are we talking about linux in a My Little Pony Forum?...Oh well)

I've used Linux for a while now and have settled on Linux Mint after trying many distros

Migrating from Windows, I'm suprised you didn't try Linux Mint, seeing as it's a bit more friendly to former window users (look more like windows) But still is like Ubuntu (offshoot of Ubuntu and uses gnome 3 as the DE, similar to unity)

Ubuntu's Great though! have fun on your linux quest!

Truthfully I wanted to go with Fedora but my friend insisted on Ubuntu and I am liking it so far.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fedora's nice, but it's a pocco complicado (high school spanish at it's best) for first time users. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are best for nomal users. Normally software companies and designers look at Fedora and Red Hat. Ubuntu and it's deviants (linux mint is one) have the biggest user community, so if you need help, your bound to find it. (thats true for Fedora as well, but Ubuntu has a more normal user community, so you are more likely to get help that normal people can understand)

If your not crazy about Unity, you can easily change it to Gnome (more Windows like) or KDE (most used, different than both Unity and Gnome)

Most Programs are made for KDE or Gnome, but they will work on either one and Unity (most likely), they'll just look wierd compared to the rest of the desktop

Ok, I went a bit over board there (sorry), I'm just so excited that you are a linux user, too

Edited by Anony-Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Fedora's nice, but it's a pocco complicado (high school spanish at it's best) for first time users. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are best for nomal users. Normally software companies and designers look at Fedora and Red Hat. Ubuntu and it's deviants (linux mint is one) have the biggest user community, so if you need help, your bound to find it. (thats true for Fedora as well, but Ubuntu has a more normal user community, so you are more likely to get help that normal people can understand)

If your not crazy about Unity, you can easily change it to Gnome (more Windows like) or KDE (most used, different than both Unity and Gnome)

Most Programs are made for KDE or Gnome, but they will work on either one and Unity (most likely), they'll just look wierd compared to the rest of the desktop

Ok, I went a bit over board there (sorry), I'm just so excited that you are a linux user, too

That's fine, the more info the better.

As for it being complicated, how I see it is the more there is to learn the longer the "journey" will be.

• Brohoof 1

That's fine, the more info the better.

As for it being complicated, how I see it is the more there is to learn the longer the "journey" will be.

Great (that's a good thing, right?)

Oh, heard about your laptop dying, of your HDD is broken and you have files you need to retreive, I Recomend Puppy Linux. There are better ones for system rescue, but puppy can transfer whatever files aren't corrupted to a usb, cd, or backup drive easily and can boot from a cd, dvd, and usb! It can also work as a normal system with all the things you need to continue your life.

(edited)

Great (that's a good thing, right?)

Oh, heard about your laptop dying, of your HDD is broken and you have files you need to retreive, I Recomend Puppy Linux. There are better ones for system rescue, but puppy can transfer whatever files aren't corrupted to a usb, cd, or backup drive easily and can boot from a cd, dvd, and usb! It can also work as a normal system with all the things you need to continue your life.

I think it is a head crash, I will need to get professional help for that and most of the files that were important were backed up to Dropbox.

And yes, that is good. :)

Edited by I_wesley125
  • Brohoof 1

I think it is a head crash, I will need to get professional help for that and most of the files that were important were backed up to Dropbox.

And yes, that is good. :)

So, how are you still online, did you swich computers?

(edited)

My laptop was my secondary computer, my main one is my desktop and it is fine.

Ok, I still recommend making a Puppy livecd just in case. Saved me so many times!

One question I have, how do I control the equalizer settings?

I can't seem to find a built in EQ or a good third party one.

Hmmm, I've never needed one. I searched Equalizer in the Software manager and EQ10Q looked like what you were looking for. Linux mint has the same software repositories as Ubuntu, so you should have it, too.

If you don't like it, it should be easy to find one more suited to you

I think You need to restart for it to install.

Edited by Anony-Brony
  • Brohoof 1

I've started to get much more seriously into programming now than I did before, and I'm quickly finding myself increasingly tempted to switch to a Linux distro. Since I got my first VPS last summer, I've slowly been learning the ins and outs of the Linux environment, and it's really quite beautiful. MLP Forums is now running on a CentOS dedicated server, and I love it.

My primary concern is the likelihood of getting some Windows apps like Photoshop and OneNote to run on Linux. I'm aware of WINE, but will running complex Windows apps through it be stable and reliable at all?

I'm trying to choose between Linux Mint and Ubuntu as it stands right now. I'm leaning towards Ubuntu, but I think I'll boot both up in a virtual machine and check them out for myself.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I've started to get much more seriously into programming now than I did before, and I'm quickly finding myself increasingly tempted to switch to a Linux distro. Since I got my first VPS last summer, I've slowly been learning the ins and outs of the Linux environment, and it's really quite beautiful. MLP Forums is now running on a CentOS dedicated server, and I love it.

My primary concern is the likelihood of getting some Windows apps like Photoshop and OneNote to run on Linux. I'm aware of WINE, but will running complex Windows apps through it be stable and reliable at all?

I'm trying to choose between Linux Mint and Ubuntu as it stands right now. I'm leaning towards Ubuntu, but I think I'll boot both up in a virtual machine and check them out for myself.

You could always go with GIMP and Evernote.

If you need PS you could just boot into a VM, that is what I do for gaming.

Edited by I_wesley125
  • Brohoof 1

On the Winehq web site, they have a database of all the apps that work on Wine with a rating (Platnium to Garbage)

In my opinion, It will be WAY easier to find the Linux equivilent (works better), but those are pretty big, important, popular apps, so I imagine they would work.

You could always go with GIMP and Evernote.

If you need PS you could just boot into a VM, that is what I do for gaming.

How is the performance of a VM? Will games run noticeably worse in a VM than a native Windows?

On the Winehq web site, they have a database of all the apps that work on Wine with a rating (Platnium to Garbage)

In my opinion, It will be WAY easier to find the Linux equivilent (works better), but those are pretty big, important, popular apps, so I imagine they would work.

OneNote and Photoshop both seem to be supported relatively well by Wine, which is good news. Unfortunately, it looks like online notebooks are broken, which kinda sucks since my school notebook is precisely online.

Any thoughts on Ubuntu vs. Mint?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

How is the performance of a VM? Will games run noticeably worse in a VM than a native Windows?

Not bad, I can run BF3 on high without much lag and I get 60 FPS on medium .

The main issue is compatibility and drivers but they too are fixable.

EDIT:For comparison I can run it on ultra native.

Edited by I_wesley125

(edited)

Posted Image

I'd Just Like To Interject For A Moment, What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Now I got that out of my system....

Mint is based on Ubuntu, Ubuntu is based on Debian.

the main difference with mint and ubuntu is that mint doesn't use unity, which is what ubuntu uses and it is really a matter of choice with something like that. I hate unity so I prefer Mint to ubuntu (mint uses Gnome 3...I think...), but they are really very similar OS's and if the GUI is the only thing stopping you from using on or the other it doesn't take much to install a different one. For a first time user I'd recommend mint, because it comes with the goodies of ubuntu (the software center, and the large user base, if you screw something up google can easily help you)

Also, mint comes with proprietary(closed source) software on it...I think... and ubuntu might as well...I'm not quite sure but...I--I might need to check up on that.

That said, I'd honestly never recommend Ubuntu, unless it's an older version. So I'm subject to being quite bias.

Edited by Flare^03
  • Brohoof 2

Having used Ubuntu for school, it is safe to say I am now scared of all Linux Distro's.

I think I'll stick with Windows considering there are so many Windows programs I tend to use which have no good Linux equivalents out there. Including Photoshop, Visual Studio (School requirement).

That and I have a hefty Steam Library which I can't pull away from.

That and I have a hefty Steam Library which I can't pull away from.

Steam is coming to linux soon (Valve time)... with better drivers to maintain similar frame rates as to what windows would.

However if it is going to be anything like when steam was ported to OSX only certain games got ported over.

(edited)

Steam is coming to linux soon (Valve time)... with better drivers to maintain similar frame rates as to what windows would.

However if it is going to be anything like when steam was ported to OSX only certain games got ported over.

It'll be like Mac Steam, it'll have games, just not a lot.

Well, it will actually worse.

Edited by Tich Kyronea

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

OneNote and Photoshop both seem to be supported relatively well by Wine, which is good news. Unfortunately, it looks like online notebooks are broken, which kinda sucks since my school notebook is precisely online.

That said, I'd honestly never recommend Ubuntu, unless it's an older version. So I'm subject to being quite bias.

Don't Worry, I'm not, Feld0. As Flare said, The main difference between them is their look. I personally prefer gnome 3, but I used Unity and thought it was good too. If you liked CentOS, your better off with Mint.

Just a Thought, Why not just use CentOS (there's a desktop Version)? There's a learning curve, but you should be able to handle it. It's based on Fedora, and Fedora and Ubuntu tend to not see eye to eye with each other. They have different Commands (just some) some exclusive packages, and different users. Ubuntu users tend to be average users, While Fedora Users tend to be more professional.

Having used Ubuntu for school, it is safe to say I am now scared of all Linux Distro's.

Besides the obvious Game thing, why?

Edited by Anony-Brony