Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

I found out that it's fun to use the Terminal just because I can. B) Especially with mpg123. Why use some user-friendly GUI system when you can just use a text only, knowledge-requiring prompt?

I find some commands far less cryptic than GUI solutions. Extracting zips and tarballs for example. The first time I double-clicked a .tar I actually got nervous, closed the application, and retreated to a terminal.

I also warned to be careful since if you install Windows after Linux, Windows will shadow the Linux boot loader (GRUB) and will need to be repaired to be able to boot Linux again.

I've found it easier to let Windows take the MBR, put GRUB on my Linux partition, and point the Windows bootloader to it.

Edited by Artemis

(edited)

Question; I put a new GPU in my computer (nVidia GTX 670) from an AMD card and now my screen is only showing green, both of my monitors and this does not happen in Windows.

I did update my drivers.

I also have an excuse to post this now. :D

Edited by I_wesley125
  • Brohoof 1

Question; I put a new GPU in my computer (nVidia GTX 670) from an AMD card and now my screen is only showing green, both of my monitors and this does not happen in Windows.

I did update my drivers.

I also have an excuse to post this now. :D

have you tried installing even newer drivers than the what come with Ubuntu?

the Ubuntu one's might not just support that card yet, or good enough support.

try this:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

have you tried installing even newer drivers than the what come with Ubuntu?

the Ubuntu one's might not just support that card yet, or good enough support.

try this:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

I am no longer on Ubuntu, I switched to Fedora about a week ago.

What would be the equivalent of the "apt-get" command?

I'm using Fedora 16.

I would rather not upgrade to Fedora 17 as I have heard somewhat negative things, if possible.

well in that case you can try this ;) - http://lotphelp.com/...ivers-fedora-16, or

http://forums.fedora...ad.php?t=204752, but the method i gave you before should be compatible with

fedora 16 as well though.

the "equivalent" to apt-get for fedora and rpm systems is yum, this requires a different method since for fedora you need a yum repository not a apt one.

Edited by superponylinux

well in that case you can try this ;) - http://lotphelp.com/...ivers-fedora-16, or

http://forums.fedora...ad.php?t=204752, but the method i gave you before should be compatible with

fedora 16 as well though.

the "equivalent" to apt-get for fedora and rpm systems is yum, this requires a different method since for fedora you need a yum repository not a apt one.

I found a rather strange solution, I swapped my PCI-E connector for a MOLEX adapter and now it is working.

I guess it was some sort of issue with my PSU...

So here's the deal: I'm gonna be heading college super soon and I should remove this super glitchy and clunky Jolicloud distro for my netbook and put on something that I could actually use. Because I don't plan on playing games or anything with this,I am planning on slapping a linux distro on there instead of putting windows back on because it saves batteries and all that.

Here's the issue: I don't know much about Linux distros. All I really want is something that I could, say, turn on and turn off easily or put into sleep mode easily, is a good at retaining it's batteries, is easy to use (if I have to learn terminal commands I guess I will, but I don't know any as of right now) and above all is accessible and would be able to easily install programs such as Open Office.

Honestly, if I had money I would go out and buy a laptop instead of this busted up netbook but any money I have is being saved for bus fare (I don't have a car, and I only have about 30 dollars in my bank account.)

Any help at all would be great, plus you would get a free brohoof soooo yeah.

Ubuntu would be your best choice. It requires little to no tweaking, and the package management system is glorious. Just search something, and you'll find what you need. It also comes with Libre Office, which is basically a free version of Microsoft Office. It should be good for your netbook, but it might struggle a bit depending on age.

Now if you want to do some learning, try openSUSE. openSUSE is best with KDE, just because they work so well together. Gnome is more visually appealing, and in some cases, functional, but KDE does the job for it. The package management system is meh, and you need to learn some Terminal for it. I used to use it, but then I found a better distro, which I'll tell you about. (oh, and openSUSE comes with LibreOffice too.)

Fedora. :D If you're used to Apple, then Gnome (desktop environment) will be for you. Almost every OS supports Gnome, by the way. Even openSUSE, and Ubuntu automatically uses Gnome. As does Fedora, I think. Though Fedora is more advanced Linux stuff, in my opinion. Again, there's barely any package management (I find that Ubuntu has the best), so if it's not on YUM, then you'll have to work with some tarballs (the source for a program that you have to compile). But the appearence and usabilty out of the box for Fedora is flawless. Firefox doesn't run Flash right away, so you'll have to install that. And it doesn't come with Libre Office.

Then again, for speed, you might wanna look at SliTaz or Crunchbang (or even Puppy Linux!). These are lightweight distros, and generally are less than 100 MB. They are fast as hell, but are generally not that visually pleasing.

Another distro you might want to look into is LinuxMint. I have never used it before, but most things I've seen about it are positive.

If you're interested in Fedora (which you should be), just say so. I have a useful guide for setting it up for your needs.

• Brohoof 2

So I decided to ditch openSUSE KDE for Fedora 17. I must say, this distro lacks some of the things that openSUSE had when I first installed it.. After configuring yum, installations became relatively easy, for the most part. Except for when I have to install stuff that isn't installable with yum. As in the tarball experience.

Also, Fedora 17 = no minimize button or maximize for a window. Not too bad, because double clicking gets the job done, but still. Really? Plus, to shut down I have to hold down ALT..

You know I have a few days left. Hit me up with some Fedora Linux, Djenty and you will receive another brohoof.

Challenge accepted.

su -
yum --nogpgcheck install http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
that basically sets up yum, which is what you'll be using to install some more packages.

yum list available
Lists packages you can install. Note, you must be root to do this. Aka, su.

yum install ----
---- = Name of available software.

yum update ----
You should be able to tell what this does. If you don't specify anything, I think it updates everything.

"search" is also a command, by the way.

yum --nogpgcheck install filename.rpm
Rpm = a install pack thingy.

Now, I'll just give a bunch of useful set up tools.

--Flash in Firefox.
su -
yum --nogpgcheck install http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
yum install --exclude=AdobeReader* flash-plugin nspluginwrapper.{i686,x86_64} pulseaudio-libs.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 libcurl.i686
mozilla-plugin-config -i -g -v
--PDF in Firefox
su -
yum install mozplugger xpdf
--mp3
su -
yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

I think I left out some things :/

• Brohoof 2

• 9 months later...

Well luckily for me I got to find Ubuntu in enough time to save my laptop from "windows" destruction :D The only thing that bothers me though is the fact that I have to manually start it up each time, in recovery mode, ether wise I get a purple screen and I can't do anything :c , Also just recently the button to lock my touchpad has become out-of-sync with the software, meaning with the button is on the software says it isn't, and vise versa. But etherwise ubuntu runs great, with little to no crashes :)

Me and my dad are planning on building a Linux Box, totes Ubuntu, for Steam. Viruses, lag? What are those? :P Though I'm going to be swamped this summer, better start making some headway into it.

• 7 years later...

Been messing around with linux mint for some virtual routers. Also been messing with ubuntu. (I need to get some cisco routers configured if anyone can help lemme know haha)

I have also used a security minded version of linux i think it was qubes os but I can't remember.

I am running an asterix server för My telephone system, and I am not that familiar with Linux. It is annoying to always use root password to get access to my stuff.