Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

Ubuntu users tend to be average users, While Fedora Users tend to be more professional.

I use Fedora on my laptop, its great! Ubuntu is recommended a lot and is the 'average' user distro because it is really a starting point for GNU/linux. Its large userbase and simplicity make it really easy to use and fix errors. It also comes with virtually everything you'd need and everything else you'd need is in the software center, I know of many people who have used ubuntu and have never touched the terminal because they've never needed too.

• Brohoof 1

I use Fedora on my laptop, its great! Ubuntu is recommended a lot and is the 'average' user distro because it is really a starting point for GNU/linux. Its large userbase and simplicity make it really easy to use and fix errors. It also comes with virtually everything you'd need and everything else you'd need is in the software center, I know of many people who have used ubuntu and have never touched the terminal because they've never needed too.

How does Fedora Compare?

Besides the obvious Game thing, why?

Well, obviously, pretty much everything is out of place. To the point I actually had to figure out where the shut down button was, because I felt it was somewhere not obvious. The whole school experience left me quite scarred.

Also I see a lack of programs I want to use, and I am wary of alternatives not supported by official sources (Like MSN Messenger replacements and such and such).

I simply couldn't get into using it at all.

(edited)

Well, obviously, pretty much everything is out of place. To the point I actually had to figure out where the shut down button was, because I felt it was somewhere not obvious. The whole school experience left me quite scarred.

Also I see a lack of programs I want to use, and I am wary of alternatives not supported by official sources (Like MSN Messenger replacements and such and such).

I simply couldn't get into using it at all.

Sorry to Hear that

What Distro where you using/

PS I hate to state the obvious, but doen't one of the Ponies in your signature have a Stargate symbol on it?

Edited by Anony-Brony

Sorry to Hear that

What Distro where you using/

PS I hate to state the obvious, but doen't one of the Ponies in your signature have a Stargate symbol on it?

Ubuntu, because that's what the school was using that year.

Also, yes.

• Brohoof 1

A long time ago, in a galaxy very close to our own, I switched to Linux on my old laptop. I switched from Windows because I got like, 15,000 trojans on it due to being a noob back then, and instead of trying to fix it, my good friend who was a computer genius recommended and installed Linux for me. Unfortunately, that laptop was a running fail, and I scrapped it half a year later for my new shiny Acer Aspire with Windows 7. I have no qualms, as I am simple to please: Internet, I-Tunes, pictures and story writing is pretty much the jist I use my computer for |'3

I did enjoy Linux while I had it though~

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Steam is coming to linux soon (Valve time)... with better drivers to maintain similar frame rates as to what windows would.

However if it is going to be anything like when steam was ported to OSX only certain games got ported over.

Valve time, doesn't that sound good?

Anyway, I'm using Kubuntu on my netbook right now; I really don't like unity, it runs slowly on my puny little netbook.

And if I had to pick a favourite distro it'd be Arch Linux.

Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

(edited)

I have Jolicloud installed on my netbook, and installing programs with Linux is just confusing. I'm sure if I learned all the terminal commands, it would be easy but as of right now I don't see too many reasons to switch over, besides the fact that it's less resource intensive.

Edited by lordbababa

I have Jolicloud installed on my netbook, and installing programs with Linux is just confusing. I'm sure if I learned all the terminal commands, it would be easy but as of right now I don't see too many reasons to switch over, besides the fact that it's less resource intensive.

I used Jolicloud on my netbook for a while as well, I'd really recommend some other distro as most others have large software repositories, and are more similar to Windows.

Hey,

I used Jolicloud on my netbook for a while as well, I'd really recommend some other distro as most others have large software repositories, and are more similar to Windows.

As long as I don't have to muck around with the terminal when I have to install apps, I'm down with it. I think I was using ubuntu netbook remix for my netbook for awhile and I'm not sure why on earth I switched over, as that was much easier to use.

Hey,

As long as I don't have to muck around with the terminal when I have to install apps, I'm down with it. I think I was using ubuntu netbook remix for my netbook for awhile and I'm not sure why on earth I switched over, as that was much easier to use.

In most Linux distros based un ubuntu, there is pretty much a gui way to do every thing you need, provided you don't feel like messing with the system's insides

• Brohoof 1

Hey,

I strongly prefer the console over GUI but you can do almost everything in GUI if you don't like the console.
  • Brohoof 2

I strongly prefer the console over GUI but you can do almost everything in GUI if you don't like the console.

See, that the point, linux is at it's most powerful in the console, so it is worth having a very simple knowledge of it

• Brohoof 2

Tried 2 live CDs about a year ago (1 was Ubuntu, another one was Mint I think, I remember that Firefox was not the default browser) and I'm not switching anytime soon. It lacks too many apps, and the UI doesn't feel as "crisp" as OS X. And it wastes vertical space, as it has a Windows taskbar, an OS X menubar without as many features, and a window-specific menu bar (I know the UI was refreshed since then, still feel it wastes space). Not to mention that the 2 Linux distros only could use my Ethernet port not the WiFi card, so I had to go without internet the entire time.

Valve time, doesn't that sound good?

Anyway, I'm using Kubuntu on my netbook right now; I really don't like unity, it runs slowly on my puny little netbook.

And if I had to pick a favourite distro it'd be Arch Linux.

Yeah, KDE is really nice, I just was thrown into Gnome before it and had an attachment with it since.

I tried to install Arch, But I think I was out of my league, since the installation was so complicated. I willing to still give it a try

Tried 2 live CDs about a year ago (1 was Ubuntu, another one was Mint I think, I remember that Firefox was not the default browser) and I'm not switching anytime soon. It lacks too many apps, and the UI doesn't feel as "crisp" as OS X. And it wastes vertical space, as it has a Windows taskbar, an OS X menubar without as many features, and a window-specific menu bar (I know the UI was refreshed since then, still feel it wastes space). Not to mention that the 2 Linux distros only could use my Ethernet port not the WiFi card, so I had to go without internet the entire time.

If your on a Mac, it's ok to not really switch to linux. OSX and Linux are cousins in a way (both are based on UNIX)

The reason your wireless card didn't work was because the livecds cant have all the drivers for everything, not enough room and proprietary stuff. IF you installed it and connected ethernet during the install, It would have downloaded all the drivers for you computer so it fits like a sock :P

If your on a Mac, it's ok to not really switch to linux. OSX and Linux are cousins in a way (both are based on UNIX)

Not quite, Linux isn't based on the unix kernel, well...not really, it was made to sorta be a clone of it and very similar but not the real deal, like OSX is. Also, Linux is Open source while unix isn't. As bbb said unless you are referring to the kernel the correct term is GNU/Linux which stands for Gnus not unix or something.

Not quite, Linux isn't based on the unix kernel, well...not really, it was made to sorta be a clone of it and very similar but not the real deal, like OSX is. Also, Linux is Open source while unix isn't. As bbb said unless you are referring to the kernel the correct term is GNU/Linux which stands for Gnus not unix or something.

Ummm...(brain working)... Ok!

(edited)

So... since Linux is a open source clone of Unix, it works in a similar manner.

And if I'm not mistaken OSX is a derivative of Unix, so that makes them similar, if at least in heritage.

Also, why are we arguing about this?

Oh yeah RBDash's post.

Dash, if you didn't like Gnome2's interface you should try another desktop environment. That is if you're still interested in trying Linux.

And if you don't like Linux for the lack of software... Try wine?

Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

I use Linux now. Ubuntu to be precise. I'm very, VERY confused with it. :o

And another one joins our herd! :)

What in particular is troubling you?

And another one joins our herd! :)

What in particular is troubling you?

Well, first off: Wine. I know how to download it and install it and stuff, but the problem is getting certain prgrams to work with it. For instance, the only program I use to make music, Mixcraft. I can also get THAT to install, but I can't seem to load the .EXE of it, even with Wine installed. Then there's Java. I don't know how to get that to install.

Ugh, anyways it's dinner time right now so I'll be back later.

I use Linux now. Ubuntu to be precise. I'm very, VERY confused with it. :o

If you came from Windows, it think you're having trouble adapting to unity? right?

If you came from Windows, it think you're having trouble adapting to unity? right?

That might be it. It's just... everything's so... complex. And Wine is weird. And I don't know how to get Java to install. :mellow:

Well, first off: Wine. I know how to download it and install it and stuff, but the problem is getting certain prgrams to work with it. For instance, the only program I use to make music, Mixcraft. I can also get THAT to install, but I can't seem to load the .EXE of it, even with Wine installed. Then there's Java. I don't know how to get that to install.

Ugh, anyways it's dinner time right now so I'll be back later.

Hmmm... You might

A. need to reboot

B. need to search for it in your apps, it might be there (it will be under "wine")

C. I hate to say this, but sometimes wine won't install the file correctly or won't run it at all (If you installed correctly, i think mixcraft should work, though)

As for java, I'm pretty sure it's already on there (I use Mint, and it is preloaded on it, I imagine ubuntu would do the same)

That might be it. It's just... everything's so... complex. And Wine is weird. And I don't know how to get Java to install. :mellow:

Yeah, wine is pretty finiky, If your really cant stand it, Use a VM (Virtual Box is nice)

As a last note, have you tried just linux software?

Hmmm... You might

A. need to reboot

B. need to search for it in your apps, it might be there (it will be under "wine")

C. I hate to say this, but sometimes wine won't install the file correctly or won't run it at all (If you installed correctly, i think mixcraft should work, though)

As for java, I'm pretty sure it's already on there (I use Mint, and it is preloaded on it, I imagine ubuntu would do the same)

Yeah, wine is pretty finiky, If your really cant stand it, Use a VM (Virtual Box is nice)

As a last note, have you tried just linux software?

Uh, well here's the thing. This is my family's home PC, and my dad technically owns the computer itself, so it's kinda... like... he's the one that did this. Yeah.