Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do I make My Original Character Look Better?

Pr0m4NV14

@Everypony

I have slaved over my Original character's look for days just to have it looking like this.

5ac1b05d5b839_MikeOC.png.7b85282bcd6829a013f07ac0d419062c.png

Is there any way to make him look nicer? I also want to give him one of those sweet pilot hats. They look cool.

Depends on what you mean by "make him look nicer."  Do you mean finding a better color palette?  Designing a good wardrobe?  Once you've cleared that up, there are two ways to improve.  The first is simply to consult with someone who's more knowledgeable or experienced.  For example, I have many artist friends that I can go to and ask about color palettes.  The second option is to do the research yourself.  Color palettes are readily available on the internet as well as simple wardrobe ensembles.  When doing the latter, though, you should take care to try and be original unless it's something simple, like a dress you found on the Macy's website.

I'd say just start with some clean up of the design. Smooth over the lines and get rid of random small color segments like what I did with McGuffin's head a while ago. Have different outline sizes, that way you can have more choice in rounder or sharper edges and corners. I think with the number of colors and accessories present, you might as well opt for a full outfit. This could all take you quite a bit of time and work, so if you want to keep things simple, then perhaps consider using the pony maker from pony town, then drawing your design from that in MS Paint pixel by pixel. With Pony Town's art style that should be pretty easy. Then once you're finished you can resize it as you see fit.

In my opinion, you should work on the details of his story and personal self before you do any drawing. Working out the details first always gives room for inspiration for drawing your character. 

Already did, ok!

If you want art critique then, I'd say, you've done a good job already. Work on cleaning up the drawing and coloring. Really make sure you straighten the lines and fill in completely. It always makes it look better. Also with the hat, You could look up pictures that would be a major help in drawing. It's what I do!

Hope this helped!

I think it's a good start to use a reference however it doesn't seem like you utilize layers when drawing which makes it a lot harder to fill in.  Layers would help you out a lot with filling in since you can color in the shape without going over the outline;  if you're not using a program that has layers then I suggest not worrying about going over them because then you can just redo the outline after you color in then it'll be fully filled in.  I believe that if the hat bill is to go through the mane then the hair would need an outline but if the hat bill was meant to be over the hair then it needs an outline.  I also notice that some of the filled body is not matching in color, the part between the saber and the scarf, not sure if that should be a shadow or not since the rest of the body doesn't have shadows but if it is, then the rest of the body will need them.  I don't know if there is much else I should say but good luck with the drawing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at the first picture I'd say to keep heading down that path. MAybe give your guy a more puffy tuft of hair in the front sticking out of the hat (Kinda like Applekjack) to give it a more full and balanced appearance. As it is now, feels like your character is balding or disproportionate. 

Definitely keep the scarf and gear stuff to stand out from other OCs (the less accessories, the more copy/paste template you'll look) but you also don't want to be clashing, so try to make them all match better. Go fro a Green/Brown motif with yellow accents maybe. So the hat/belt/scarf/sword/bag all go nicely together. It's clearly Zelda inspired so play up the Rustic Adventure Time/Green Tunic aesthetic. 

Purple eyes like the hilt of the sword was a nice touch. It's the little things like that making your OC 'pop'!

Then once you're done, you can try to pay your favorite artist to do a commission of your OC doing something cool. Then use that along with your own drawing to show others what you see your OC to be like and maybe get more commissions in the future.

You'll have new OC avatars and stuff in no time!

• Brohoof 1