Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else think Neighsay should have been fired?

flutterbard

Spoiled Rich is similarly prejudiced, and nothing was done with her beyond Diamond Tiara telling her off, so Neighsay getting fired, or punished at all, is unlikely. 

• Brohoof 1

It is strange to me that Neighsay was just allowed to continue this authority and was never so much as overruled by, you know, the rulers of the land. But Equestria's governance has been confusing for a very long time now, so I guess it's nothing new. 

(edited)

Equestria has many confusing questions though like how long is a moon, is there a set price for anything or do they just barter, how do gems function as food, jewelry and a unit of currency. The last two work together such as all the mane 6 paying Spike a gem to pet sit and then cutie mark crusaders using the smallest of those gems to buy an industrial sized hair dryer and Spike then uses a larger one to buy round trip tickets to the crystal empire for himself, 3 ponies and 6 pets followed by another large one to pay off the food cart damage. Apple bloom selling a bag of apple's for 4 bits and the cherry seller demanding 12 bits for a cherry then selling it for 2.

Edited by Senko

44 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It is strange to me that Neighsay was just allowed to continue this authority and was never so much as overruled by, you know, the rulers of the land. But Equestria's governance has been confusing for a very long time now, so I guess it's nothing new. 

I thought he WAS overuled? That's how Twilight got her school up and running.

2 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

I think she just sort of broke the lock and ignored him. Nobody ordered him to approve the school. 

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I think she just sort of broke the lock and ignored him. Nobody ordered him to approve the school. 

Isn't that because the school DOESN'T meet the EEA standards? Like, it literally doesn't. Racism aside, the Mane 6 still aren't qualified to teach things in the EEA way, and they still had students who were skipping class and those students still put others at risk.

Twilight just flexed her muscles as the Princess of Friendship to deem the school a "Friendship" school and thus it didn't need to step in toe with the EEA. In that sense she overuled him because his authority over schools was trumped by her.

Is there any real point in forcing him to approve the school if it literally doesn't conform to the EEA's standards. It wouldn't be a "standardized" seal of approval then, would it?

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, gingerninja666 said:

Isn't that because the school DOESN'T meet the EEA standards? Like, it literally doesn't. Racism aside, the Mane 6 still aren't qualified to teach things in the EEA way, and they still had students who were skipping class and those students still put others at risk.

Twilight just flexed her muscles as the Princess of Friendship to deem the school a "Friendship" school and thus it didn't need to step in toe with the EEA. In that sense she overuled him because his authority over schools was trumped by her.

Is there any real point in forcing him to approve the school if it literally doesn't conform to the EEA's standards. It wouldn't be a "standardized" seal of approval then, would it?

That is true, and I still wonder how the mane six find the time to teach. I guess that comes back to the original question, though, in that I don't know how Celestia and Twilight didn't use their authority to replace Neighsay with someone less racist (who would probably still have closed the school.)

9 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

That is true, and I still wonder how the mane six find the time to teach. I guess that comes back to the original question, though, in that I don't know how Celestia and Twilight didn't use their authority to replace Neighsay with someone less racist (who would probably still have closed the school.)

This actually brings up my lingering thought about how firings work in Equestria. In Equestria you can literally know a pony's expertise and passion by looking at their ass. Neighsay presumably rose as high as he did because it's his passion and what he was put on this earth to do. So if a person like that is fired from their destiny, is their life screwed?

Is it worth it to keep him around for his skillset and maybe just keep him away from the political stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Considering the organization he's from is pretty strict on their rules on how's schools are run, it'll likely be a no. Unless some scandal happens, does something nefarious, or Celestia steps in Neighsay will still be head of the EEA. 

He should be warned and given a chance to improve. Or a BIG slap on the wrist - this is Equestria after all, there shouldn't be extreme ramifications when someone can learn and improve.

(edited)
21 hours ago, PacificGreen said:

My biggest beef with the season premiere was that, despite Neighsay being a racist, Twilight still wasn't able to answer some of the EEA's concerns about running off on adventures, teachers being unqualified, etc., and basically lied to Neighsay about the students running off to skip class. So when the School Six seriously endanger the lives of ponies in that crash at the end of the first part, can you really blame Neighsay for shutting down the school?

I usually like when the episode is willing to acknowledge both sides of the conflict, but this felt a little too strawman-y and one-sided, and unintentionally seemed to come off as "bureaucracies and government regulations are bad" when I feel it's a lot more nuanced than that.

So yeah, you can see I'm honestly not a big fan of this series premiere, contrary to popular opinion.

It did, Twilight and the trouble maker 6 needed an out to that debacle which shut down the school.

Edited by Singe

7 hours ago, TransitPony said:

Considering the organization he's from is pretty strict on their rules on how's schools are run, it'll likely be a no. Unless some scandal happens, does something nefarious, or Celestia steps in Neighsay will still be head of the EEA. 

Like I said I don't think he actually did anything wrong especially wrong enough to be fired. Unpleasant yes, wrong no especially given he is not a diplomat. I prefer a world someone can actually say what they think secure in not being victimised for it rather than getting jailed for 8 years like our world.

• 3 years later...

He wasn't that bad, seeing how he actually cared about something at the end of Season 8. So, he shouldn't be fired. However, his job seemed odd, as before him, it was only the Princess Celestia that was a teacher and had any authority over school. Princess Celestia wouldn't quit her job to make Neighsay in charge (of anything) with those clear messages he had about what is okay and what is not okay in the world.

On 2018-07-11 at 4:22 PM, gingerninja666 said:

No, Twilight just opened it as a non-accredited school.

On 2018-07-12 at 12:55 AM, Senko said:

Like I said I don't think he actually did anything wrong especially wrong enough to be fired. Unpleasant yes, wrong no especially given he is not a diplomat. I prefer a world someone can actually say what they think secure in not being victimised for it rather than getting jailed for 8 years like our world.

The thing is, he was also opposed to letting non-pony students into the School of Friendship, and approved Flim and Flam's competing school on the condition that they only admit ponies. So his bigotry was legitimately interfering with his duties.

9 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

He probably should have since not only was he very prejudiced, he tied students up in chains for no good reason.

Heck, by all logic he should have gone to jail for that - he's a bureaucrat, not a cop. And with the school operating as non-accredited (the whole idea there being to sidestep EEA rules which forbade the non-traditional teaching methods Twilight wanted to implement), it's questionable whether he had any authority to take over the school to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, He was actually not all that wrong. Up until then... the school was a dangerous mess and how many times have the other races caused all kinds of trouble. As racist as it sounded... he had a point. Look at Shining Armor and the crystal empire when a changeling showed up. Shining Armor not only felt the same way. He and the crystal empire was kos with changelings. Hell, even Twilight wasn't really feeling it and only changed her views when she saw Spike trying to talk them down. Even if you were to fire him... there are probably a ton of people that agree with him. It will also look like an abuse of power.