Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Toughest lessons the mane characters learned in the series

Dark Qiviut

(edited)

In many episodes, the mane characters (whether it's the Mane 8, CMCs, or Discord) learn a valuable lesson. Sometimes, the lesson is standard and/or learned proactively. Occasionally, they learn it the hard way, and how they learn that lesson can be really difficult to handle.

The one that comes to my mind immediately is Twilight from Amending Fences, and I still maintain it to be the hardest any of the M8 learned in the show. For so long, Twilight's mirrored image withheld her grief and pain because someone she felt she can trust and connect didn't take friendship so seriously in favor of over-studying. Each time Twilight tried to reconnect with her and make up for the terrible thing she did, Moondancer continued to reject every attempt at friendship, because the pain was so deep. Twilight's attempt to recreate the party she voluntarily skipped was her breaking point; MD finally let out the torment she suffered since devolving into a recluse. To make it tougher, Twilight had to watch her break down and cry, adding to the regret Twilight already felt leading up to it. Had she not develop and become the Princess of Friendship, Twilight might not have absorbed all of Moondancer's grief, but TS needed to hear MD's pain and absorb it so she could truly comprehend what it was like to be in MD's shoes.

Can you come up with any other tough lessons the mane characters learned? If so, which ones, and explain why.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

I gotta say, Amending Fences was definitely one of the hardest lessons any of the Mane 6 have ever learned.

I think that Fluttershy's hardest lesson to learn..or at least one of them..was "It Isn't Easy Being Breezy." I say this because Fluttershy is a compassionate pony whom cares soo deeply for the animals around her. So when the Breezy's have to stay at Fluttershy's house, she is more than happy to oblige...much to the chagrin of their leader. A few days go by, and she is told that she must part with them..even though she constantly cannot seem to part with them. Finally, she has to let them go to ensure that they are able to get home. I think that is one of the hardest lessons she had to learn...which involved having to show tough love to the Breezies and help them get home.

That is what I remember of the episode, so pardon me if this was a little odd in the description.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Crimson Fire said:

I gotta say, Amending Fences was definitely one of the hardest lessons any of the Mane 6 have ever learned.

I think that Fluttershy's hardest lesson to learn..or at least one of them..was "It Isn't Easy Being Breezy." I say this because Fluttershy is a compassionate pony whom cares soo deeply for the animals around her. So when the Breezy's have to stay at Fluttershy's house, she is more than happy to oblige...much to the chagrin of their leader. A few days go by, and she is told that she must part with them..even though she constantly cannot seem to part with them. Finally, she has to let them go to ensure that they are able to get home. I think that is one of the hardest lessons she had to learn...which involved having to show tough love to the Breezies and help them get home.

That is what I remember of the episode, so pardon me if this was a little odd in the description.

To add to what you wrote about Fluttershy, GlitterCat from the EQD Forums wrote that Fluttershy's lesson from Health of Info was a tough one to learn, too. I added her point with the following:

To add to what you wrote, how she learned this lesson makes it stick. Twilight never caught the dangerous disease, because she had a good night's sleep, while FS spent all night reading and researching. Even as swamp fever rapidly progressed through her system, she continued to press herself to get that honey, and almost died from it.

The hardest lesson that Rarity had to learn would come from Canterlot Boutique.

Rarity finally manages to achieve her life long ambition of owning her own boutique in Canterlot, but has to realize that sometimes your dreams come at a price you might not be willing to pay.

Rarity having to learn how to maintain and not compromise her own personal values while making her dream a reality is something that I find to be rather admirable.

• Brohoof 3

17 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

The hardest lesson that Rarity had to learn would come from Canterlot Boutique.

Rarity finally manages to achieve her life long ambition of owning her own boutique in Canterlot, but has to realize that sometimes your dreams come at a price you might not be willing to pay.

Rarity having to learn how to maintain and not compromise her own personal values while making her dream a reality is something that I find to be rather admirable.

I argue she had to learn an even harder lesson in Rarity Takes Manehattan because of how she learned it. A victim of blatant plagiarism, she became so obsessed in one-upping Suri that she abandoned her best quality, forced her friends to work overnight, and took her anger out on them when they confronted her for her behavior. When she noticed their seats were unoccupied, she realized the terrible mistake she made and spent that afternoon thinking she damaged her friendship with the others, all the while being soaked. Her lesson to not give up your most positive attribute because someone took advantage of you was learned the hard way.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

- Twilight realizing she had to prioritize herself on the blimp trip and not worry about pleasing a bunch of fan ponies or even her family.

- Fluttershy drawing the line between agressive and assertive without hurting anyone.

- AppleJack understanding that controlling her family members doesn't help them in the least. They need the chance to learn from their own mistakes.

- Rainbow Dash coping with having to let go of Tank for a few months.

- Rarity realizing that her sister is older and doesn't enjoy the toddler things she once did.

- Pinkie coming to terms with introverts (Cranky Doodle in this case) and accepting that needing space isn't the same as not wanting friends.

• Brohoof 1